internet explorer automatically coming on

how can I stop internet explorer automatically coming on before I even
connect to internet

Take it out of your startup group under Start/all programs/startup
take it out of startup by clicking Start/Run..type in msconfig.
see if it is listed there if it is uncheck it and reboot
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how can I stop internet explorer automatically coming on before I even
> connect to internet

I went to msconfig and this is what it shows in startup:
pchbutton, http://www, msmgs, taskpanel, ebay toolbar, hp center UI, hp
center, power reg schedule, spywareblocker, dump rep 0-k, qttask, calcheck,
ALCXMNTR, voxmdkz, http://ie, SNDMon, ccApp, yrvogi, propelAC, WkUFind,
issch, hpztsb07, ps2, hkcmd, igfxtray, RECGAURD, DDCActiveMenu, DDCMan,
tfswcrtl, sgtray, KBD, hpqcmon, nwiz, RUNDLL32, hpsysdrive.
What in the world do I uncheck?
thanks, whitelace
"peterk" wrote:

> Take it out of your startup group under Start/all programs/startup
> take it out of startup by clicking Start/Run..type in msconfig.
> see if it is listed there if it is uncheck it and reboot
> peterk
>
> --
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> "whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how can I stop internet explorer automatically coming on before I even
> > connect to internet

the HTTP:// ones
and with such a HUGE list I would track each one of those down and determine
what they do and do they really need to start when the XP starts?? ...like
that HP center...ebaytool bar....msmgs....???

> I went to msconfig and this is what it shows in startup:
> pchbutton, http://www, msmgs, taskpanel, ebay toolbar, hp center UI, hp
> center, power reg schedule, spywareblocker, dump rep 0-k, qttask,
> calcheck,
> ALCXMNTR, voxmdkz, http://ie, SNDMon, ccApp, yrvogi, propelAC, WkUFind,
> issch, hpztsb07, ps2, hkcmd, igfxtray, RECGAURD, DDCActiveMenu, DDCMan,
> tfswcrtl, sgtray, KBD, hpqcmon, nwiz, RUNDLL32, hpsysdrive.
> What in the world do I uncheck?
> thanks, whitelace
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> Take it out of your startup group under Start/all programs/startup
>> take it out of startup by clicking Start/Run..type in msconfig.
>> see if it is listed there if it is uncheck it and reboot
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
>> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
>> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
>> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
>> "whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > how can I stop internet explorer automatically coming on before I even
>> > connect to internet

You have bigger problems. Some of those listings are probably viruses,
specifically yrvogi and voxmdkz. See http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#trojan
for assistance in removing them.

Your problem (original complaint) is being caused by these, you should
uncheck them.

http://www
http://ie

I suspect that in addition to your antivirus software needing updating, your
spyware blocker is not running properly either. Try running both of these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I went to msconfig and this is what it shows in startup:
> pchbutton, http://www, msmgs, taskpanel, ebay toolbar, hp center UI, hp
> center, power reg schedule, spywareblocker, dump rep 0-k, qttask,
> calcheck,
> ALCXMNTR, voxmdkz, http://ie, SNDMon, ccApp, yrvogi, propelAC, WkUFind,
> issch, hpztsb07, ps2, hkcmd, igfxtray, RECGAURD, DDCActiveMenu, DDCMan,
> tfswcrtl, sgtray, KBD, hpqcmon, nwiz, RUNDLL32, hpsysdrive.
> What in the world do I uncheck?
> thanks, whitelace
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> Take it out of your startup group under Start/all programs/startup
>> take it out of startup by clicking Start/Run..type in msconfig.
>> see if it is listed there if it is uncheck it and reboot
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
>> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
>> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
>> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
>> "whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > how can I stop internet explorer automatically coming on before I even
>> > connect to internet

Rick,
went to :
See http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#trojan > for assistance in removing them.
it tells me to restart in safe mode, which I did and to start a search for
the files, neither of which were found. Then it says to click start/run, type
regedit and click ok. Expand the plus (+) sign s to these keys , one at a
time:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\currentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Look in the right hand pane for the string or strings that load that file.
Delete just those strings that contain the reference. Do not delete other
strings or the keys from the left pane. Close the registry editor wehn
completed, make sure you check all strings.

2 things, when I do what they say I get this:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT which has ab (default) REG_SZ and value not set
HKEY_CURRENT_USER which has ab (default) REG_SZ and value not set
and ab PerfectFit Logical REG_SZ
and "x<>|
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which has ab (default) REG_SZ and value not set
the ab (default)... is the name type and data I guess of the string in the
right pane.
not sure either what reference they are talking about, I believe since I was
looking for the files yrvogi and voxmdkz, they meant any ref to them. Since I
am somewhat computer illit. and need baby steps I did not change anything.
Please HELP.
thanks

> You have bigger problems. Some of those listings are probably viruses,
> specifically yrvogi and voxmdkz. See http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#trojan
> for assistance in removing them.
>
> Your problem (original complaint) is being caused by these, you should
> uncheck them.
>
> http://www
> http://ie
>
> I suspect that in addition to your antivirus software needing updating, your
> spyware blocker is not running properly either. Try running both of these:
>
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I went to msconfig and this is what it shows in startup:
> > pchbutton, http://www, msmgs, taskpanel, ebay toolbar, hp center UI, hp
> > center, power reg schedule, spywareblocker, dump rep 0-k, qttask,
> > calcheck,
> > ALCXMNTR, voxmdkz, http://ie, SNDMon, ccApp, yrvogi, propelAC, WkUFind,
> > issch, hpztsb07, ps2, hkcmd, igfxtray, RECGAURD, DDCActiveMenu, DDCMan,
> > tfswcrtl, sgtray, KBD, hpqcmon, nwiz, RUNDLL32, hpsysdrive.
> > What in the world do I uncheck?
> > thanks, whitelace
> > "peterk" wrote:
> >
> >> Take it out of your startup group under Start/all programs/startup
> >> take it out of startup by clicking Start/Run..type in msconfig.
> >> see if it is listed there if it is uncheck it and reboot
> >> peterk
> >>
> >> --
> >> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> >> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> >> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> >> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> >> "whitelace" <whitelace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

You aren't expanding the registry keys by clicking the plus (+) signs to
reach the run keys. You need to do this to reach the keys listed. You do not
need to look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT at all, and should ignore the default
valuess seen in the upper level keys. So, in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
there is a plus sign, click on it, then click on the plus sign in front of
SOFTWARE, repeating until you reach the RUN key. At this level, click on the
key (folder) that says RUN, then look in the right pane for the strings that
load those files. Click on the string when found, click file/export and
follow the prompts to save a copy. Then delete just that string that loads
the file.