P4 Power Supply Requirements & Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

McWhite

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Hi,
I was wondering how I can check to see if I need to buy a new power supply for the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard I just bought (but haven't received yet). I have an Aopen HX08 case that came with a power supply, but it was purchased back in the summer of 2000, so I am doubtful that it has the 12v connector now required. If the additional connector is not present, what power supply should I purchase to replace it and how can I be sure it will fit in the old power supply's space? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I need a power supply that's capable of running a 2.8Ghz P4, 3 cd-rom drives and 3 hard drives.
Thanks,
McWhite

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I would say a 400watter is what you need...mainly cause of the number of ide devices...antec, foxon, enermax and pc power and cooling are all good brands. About power supply compatability as long as you have some form of an ATX case the PS should slide right in.

raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
I would go with a 430watt Antec True Power Power supply , or the Enermax 400watt power supply, because motherboards require 300watts to run properly.

I have a 420watt power supply
spec's
Mushkin 512mb ddr PC400
8 case fans
Gigabyte P4 866PE
Dual WD 80GB w/8mb cache Raid0
Radeon9700PRO
Pioneer DVD-RW
Pioneer DVD-rom
52x Lit-on CD-rw
Soundblaster Audigy

I hope this helped

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your power supply is a standard ATX size, then a standard ATX power supply will fit. If you want a great deal on a power supply, get the Fortron 350W unit from Newegg.com for $32, it puts out MORE POWER than even the Enermax 400W unit.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>