How to configure user not to insall programs

Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for visitors.
With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility from
www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But I cannot
figure out how to keep this account from installing "any" programs no
programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all that has helped
me so far.

Dan
11 answers Last reply
More about configure user insall programs

    If you are using WinXP Pro go to Start>Run type: gpedit.msc
    Navigate to Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows
    Components>Windows Installer>Disable Win Installer.
    "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for visitors.
    > With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility from
    > www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But I
    > cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any" programs
    > no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all that has
    > helped me so far.
    >
    > Dan

    Rich,

    Thank you for a very quick answer, I am using Win XP Pro sp2. If I disable
    win Installer, I am assuming no one will be able to install programs. Is
    that correct? That is OK I just want to be sure what I am doing. Then I
    would enable win installer to install a program is that correct? I am a
    novice at this so thanks again for your help

    Dan

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > If you are using WinXP Pro go to Start>Run type: gpedit.msc Navigate
    > to Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows Components>Windows
    > Installer>Disable Win Installer.
    > "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for
    >> visitors. With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility
    >> from www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But
    >> I cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any"
    >> programs no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all
    >> that has helped me so far.
    >>
    >> Dan

    Dan, read the Explain Dialogue on the Disable Windows Explorer. But also
    check out Prohibit User Installs which is
    further down the column.

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:59:15 GMT, "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com>
    wrote:

    > If you are using WinXP Pro go to Start>Run type: gpedit.msc
    >Navigate to Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows
    >Components>Windows Installer>Disable Win Installer.
    >"dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Rich,

    Would I be correct in assuming that gpedit.msc cannot be run from a
    limited user account?
    Mike H

    wrote:

    > If you are using WinXP Pro go to Start>Run type: gpedit.msc
    >Navigate to Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows
    >Components>Windows Installer>Disable Win Installer.

    Rich,

    Would I be correct in assuming that gpedit.msc cannot be run from a
    limited user account?
    Mike H
    >"dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for visitors.
    >> With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility from
    >> www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But I
    >> cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any" programs
    >> no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all that has
    >> helped me so far.
    >>
    >> Dan

    Rich,

    Thanks for the additional advice. I did see the Prohibit User Installs and
    configured it. Then I tested it on a user account and it worked. It gave a
    message the user did not have the permission to install the software. I will
    read Explain Dialogue. Thanks again.

    > Dan, read the Explain Dialogue on the Disable Windows Explorer. But also
    > check out Prohibit User Installs which is
    > further down the column.
    > "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for
    >> visitors. With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility
    >> from www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But
    >> I cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any"
    >> programs no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all
    >> that has helped me so far.
    >>
    >> Dan

    Rich,

    I can not find the Disable Windows Explorer, I found the other as I stated
    OK but I can not find that one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Dan

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Dan, read the Explain Dialogue on the Disable Windows Explorer. But also
    > check out Prohibit User Installs which is
    > further down the column.
    > "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for
    >> visitors. With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility
    >> from www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But
    >> I cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any"
    >> programs no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all
    >> that has helped me so far.
    >>
    >> Dan

    Dan, re-reading my post to you I was incorrect. I meant Disable Windows
    Installer not Explorer. Read the Explain Dialogue for that.
    "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for visitors.
    > With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility from
    > www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But I
    > cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any" programs
    > no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all that has
    > helped me so far.
    >
    > Dan

    Rich,

    Thanks very much, I did read that and I think with your help on this I have
    just what I need. Thanks again

    > Dan, re-reading my post to you I was incorrect. I meant Disable
    > Windows Installer not Explorer. Read the Explain Dialogue for that.
    > "dan" <dm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have one account in the users group made especially for
    >> visitors. With the help of some folks in this newsgroup and a utility
    >> from www.dougknox.com I have the account configured just as we want. But
    >> I cannot figure out how to keep this account from installing "any"
    >> programs no programs at all. Thanks for any help and advice and to all
    >> that has helped me so far.
    >>
    >> Dan

Configuration Windows XP