A7N8X deluxe boots too slow

MRHARDWARE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Just put this system together with A7N8X deluxe MB,XP-2500 CPU,40G Maxtor HD,256mb Corsair PC2700, ATI AGP 4X video,52X CD-RW. Installed W98-SE and loaded the MB drivers. The system boots okay but when the Windows 98 logo appears it just sits there for approx.100 seconds then all goes well in a timely manner. This is driving me nuts, I've disabled SATA and changed the BIOS around trying to resolve this with no change. Once the system finaly boots it is very stable and fast. Any help would be appreciated.

hi_tech_hate

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
i built a pc for a friend and he was complaining of the same problem (with XP though)

he siad that it took "forever for XP to load, so i went over his house to check it out and Xp loaded quickly and flawlessly (4 sweeps of the blue "status bar progress thing")

maybe your pc just doesn't like you...

" :eek: ...that can't be good"

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Ah...the fond days of 98...i beleive i know how to solve your problem.
Leme guess you have 1 or more nic cards that are not being used...this is what you do...go into the bios and disable any intigrated NIC devices that are NOT in use (your board has two of em), this should solve your problem. What is happening is win 98 is waiting for an IP adress to be received from the NIC card(s) and since there is not network to get an IP adress from the system simply times out thus it take a while.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
exactly right on the money there... W98se on my system with a NIC takes an extra near-minute to boot compared to without

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
If you are not hooked to a network and you have the NIC on or installed, thats your problem with Win 98

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
exactly what they said..
it took much longer time for my cousin's pc to boot than mine, just because I forgot to set IP address for his pc, after setting that, everything is cool