Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a lesser-known epic game

Last response: in Video Games
September 10, 2009 5:57:15 AM

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new game, preferably something from the past few years. I've wasted hundreds of hours on games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Stalker series, and Fable. I'd like to waste a few hundred more on something with outstanding graphics, epic story, and non-linear play. However, I've never been a fan of point-&-click RTS games.

The only one I have in mind right now is The Witcher. Anyone played it? Thoughts? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. In the meantime, back to Far Cry 2. Thanks!

More about : lesser epic game

September 10, 2009 2:16:59 PM

Have you tried Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? It's sitting on my 'to play' pile right now. I've heard it's similar to Oblivion in some ways.

I know you say no RTS type, but try Medieval Total War 2. This game is just quality at every step. I haven't wasted so much time on a game in a long time.
m
l
September 10, 2009 3:15:18 PM

I finished Dark Messiah about a month ago and it is a good game, it is very linear,
you have some options on upgrading your character ( to be either a swordsman, mage or thief - you can also combine the traits.)
I wish there was more of an RPG aspect to the game where you can upgrade weapons and armor,
but the only upgrades to your inventory is what you find in the game.
Most of the items you find you will either need to have that trait or it is something you already got.

I am currently playing Heroes of Might & Magic 5 (the RTS version) and so far it is more for the casual gamer.
It is a point and click game where you can have Hero's and upgrade their abilities and items.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2009 8:06:24 PM

jay_l_a said:
Have you tried Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? It's sitting on my 'to play' pile right now. I've heard it's similar to Oblivion in some ways.

I know you say no RTS type, but try Medieval Total War 2. This game is just quality at every step. I haven't wasted so much time on a game in a long time.

Dark Messiah looks pretty cool.. I'll be giving that one a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!
m
l
September 11, 2009 3:28:33 AM

The Witcher is an excellent game, although, it's not as much about combat as the others you mentioned. It has more reading (though, very interesting stories, and important reading), less combat, and a very dark, mature story. It's not very linear, though certainly more linear than oblivion, after you finish a major quest part in an area, you go on to the next area (each is a "chapter") and each takes 5-15 hours to complete. You have to follow the story, eventually, but there's a large deal of side-stuff to do, and there are 3 groups you can side with for the main story, all of which are very different.

Overall it's an amazing game, although, it's hard to compare to most things.

Dark Messiah of M&M is pretty fun, too, but it's completely linear and the story is negligible; it's combat + combat + combat.
m
l
September 11, 2009 5:49:32 PM

I dont know if this is what you ar looking for but Mass Effect is an amazing game ! good story and cool action!
m
l
September 12, 2009 2:09:25 AM

As ilikegirls said, Mass Effect is exceptional, although a little on the short side. If you're okay with Diablo-style Action RPG's I'd definitely recommend Titan Quest. For $20 you can get the original game and its expansion, which is good for a 35+ hour single player campaign plus multiplayer questing. Just my two cents!
m
l
September 12, 2009 3:13:31 AM

Dark Messiah is fun. But its a FPS. I just finished it a month ago too lol.

You are not going to waste hundreds of hours playing it, if you use the IGN walkthrough :) 

I played Sins Of a Solar Empire both the regular and the expansion for 50-60 hours. Its a blast. Its not too long of a learning curve. I hear X2-3 is a great game, but after having to see my chiropracter to remove the "learning" curve, I gave up. but X2-3 is supposed to be epic and has a huge community for a single player game.
m
l
September 12, 2009 3:46:08 AM

I'm currently playing Civilization 4: BTS and Darkfall Online

Darkfall is where it's at...in terms of MMORPG, it's kind of unknown/underground but is one of the best out there...

I used to play Asheron's Call, but their graphics are a little outdated. Also tried some other games by the same company (DDO, LotRO) and didn't really care for them - I think Turbine sold out...
m
l
September 12, 2009 7:44:44 PM

626234,9,471251 said:
I'm currently playing Civilization 4: BTS and Darkfall Online

Darkfall is where it's at...in terms of MMORPG, it's kind of unknown/underground but is one of the best out there...

Darkfall, eh? I've heard good things about that one. I'll be checking that out as well...
m
l
September 13, 2009 4:19:49 PM

-Myst 4:Revelations.......one the game on my "top list" (only game that ever pulled me back in, or made me think of it when not playing it)
-Medieval 2 (only game I ever played for a year almost exclusively)
...some others...less story driven though
....-Assassins creed (looks nice)
-Mirror's edge (looks nice)
m
l
September 13, 2009 5:02:21 PM

illuminatirex said:
-Myst 4:Revelations.......one the game on my "top list" (only game that ever pulled me back in, or made me think of it when not playing it)
-Medieval 2 (only game I ever played for a year almost exclusively)
...some others...less story driven though
....-Assassins creed (looks nice)
-Mirror's edge (looks nice)

I have Assassin's Creed & Mirrors Edge - both beautiful games. I was highly impressed with the visual aspect of Assassin's Creed, especially with everything maxed out. Pretty stunning actually. Myst 4 looks pretty awesome.. don't know how that one slipped by me. Thanks for the heads up!
m
l
September 13, 2009 5:13:24 PM

^np, I would recommend Myst, the 4th installation was really nice, if you like "thinking" puzzle games, with a nice plot(enjoyable), I would got for this one, It was one of those games I am able to say it was worth its price. btw myst 5 i heard was quite bad....so i would stay with myst 4 as an "ender" to the series(just a personal taught)
m
l
September 14, 2009 1:13:20 PM

j_chatelain said:
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new game, preferably something from the past few years. I've wasted hundreds of hours on games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Stalker series, and Fable. I'd like to waste a few hundred more on something with outstanding graphics, epic story, and non-linear play. However, I've never been a fan of point-&-click RTS games.

The only one I have in mind right now is The Witcher. Anyone played it? Thoughts? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. In the meantime, back to Far Cry 2. Thanks!

High I have played and completed all the games u quoted, all brilliant games mate, heres another Mass Effect not as open world as the other but a great game not sure what its like on pc but I completed it on Xbox 360, also try the deus ex series( aged graphics thow).

m
l
September 14, 2009 5:53:09 PM

Just FYI,
but Direct2Drive is selling games for about $5, in a few days they will be selling RPG games, not sure which ones because they haven't posted it. If you haven't bought a game yet you might want to wait. I think they will be selling Titan Quest and Mass Effect for $5 (my speculation).

Oh another good game if you have never played it is Knights of the Old Republic ($10 on either Steam or Direct2Drive)
m
l
September 14, 2009 7:05:38 PM

jgiron said:
Just FYI,
but Direct2Drive is selling games for about $5, in a few days they will be selling RPG games, not sure which ones because they haven't posted it. If you haven't bought a game yet you might want to wait. I think they will be selling Titan Quest and Mass Effect for $5 (my speculation).

Oh another good game if you have never played it is Knights of the Old Republic ($10 on either Steam or Direct2Drive)

Nice... thanks for the heads up.
m
l
September 14, 2009 9:43:20 PM

I strongly recommend the Witcher. Looks lovely, and has a really immersive storyline. It's a "grown up" RPG and has some genuinely difficult moral choices. No simply choosing the good or bad option. The combat is about timing, rather than mashing the buttons. It's an odd system, but one that works well when you get used to it.
That said, I'm also waiting to see what's in D2D's RPG box, assuming they will let people in the UK buy them.
m
l
September 15, 2009 12:03:18 AM

DeeTee_uk said:
I strongly recommend the Witcher. Looks lovely, and has a really immersive storyline. It's a "grown up" RPG and has some genuinely difficult moral choices. No simply choosing the good or bad option. The combat is about timing, rather than mashing the buttons. It's an odd system, but one that works well when you get used to it.
That said, I'm also waiting to see what's in D2D's RPG box, assuming they will let people in the UK buy them.

Just purchased The Witcher Enhanced.. shipping out tomorow.
m
l
!