MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.

May 28, 2005 3:48:01 AM

Hello:

I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when I
am downloading stuff.
please help.
thanx.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:48:02 AM

It is probably your ISP's DHCP rotation schedule. Nothing you can do. It's
the price you pay for staying on dial-up...limited number of lines in the
modem pool, so some have to be kicked off to make room for others. If your
lease expires at 4 hours and 30 minutes, and there are no new numbers to
lease, you have to wait until someone else is "aged off". Your choices:
pay more for a static IP (not worth it on dial up), or join the 21st century
and get a broadband connection (DSL being the best option, but cable if that
is all you can get).

Bobby

"xenonhill" <xenonhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when
> am downloading stuff.
> please help.
> thanx.

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:37:20 PM

Contact your ISP and ask them. Remember that many ISP's will cut you off
after a certain period of time. It is their policy and YOU can not change
it!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"xenonhill" <xenonhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when
> am downloading stuff.
> please help.
> thanx.

May 29, 2005 2:33:54 AM

i had att and juno for a while they both cut me off after a few hours, said
it was unfair to tie up my phone lines, i tryed to get them to stop it, and
they wouldn't

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Contact your ISP and ask them. Remember that many ISP's will cut you off
> after a certain period of time. It is their policy and YOU can not change
> it!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "xenonhill" <xenonhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
> > MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
> > I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when
> > am downloading stuff.
> > please help.
> > thanx.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:06:08 AM

Thanx u all.
I reviewed my ISP contract, it does this on rush hours between 6-12pm
everyday. it should only be in those hours, other times or certain times it
should be able to stay on longer. so it must be some internal switch that I
am not aware of inside my own computer. please help.

"xenonhill" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when I
> am downloading stuff.
> please help.
> thanx.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:06:09 AM

There is no "switch:" in your computer. Your ISP provides you with an IP
address, which they can change or drop at nay time. There is nothing you
can do to prevent this, other than to get rid of dial-up and go to DSL.
Even on cable, you can be kicked off (the cable company also over-sells).
ISPs sell more connections than they have the capability to support (just as
airlines overbook popular flights). They kick you off after a period of
time to allow others to connect. There is nothing you can do to change
this. You accepted their terms and conditions when you paid for their
service.

If you do not want to have this problem, switch to DSL. It is your only
choice.

Bobby

"xenonmill" <xenonmill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanx u all.
> I reviewed my ISP contract, it does this on rush hours between 6-12pm
> everyday. it should only be in those hours, other times or certain times
> it
> should be able to stay on longer. so it must be some internal switch that
> am not aware of inside my own computer. please help.
>
> "xenonhill" wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
>> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
>> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially
>> when I
>> am downloading stuff.
>> please help.
>> thanx.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:22:40 PM

Right! With DSL you get your own "dedicated" line, direct to the CO (central
office). No one else is attached to it. It doesn't change speed when others,
also with their own dedicated DSL line, are doing heavy downloads. With
cable it may, and does!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> There is no "switch:" in your computer. Your ISP provides you with an IP
> address, which they can change or drop at nay time. There is nothing you
> can do to prevent this, other than to get rid of dial-up and go to DSL.
> Even on cable, you can be kicked off (the cable company also over-sells).
> ISPs sell more connections than they have the capability to support (just
> as airlines overbook popular flights). They kick you off after a period
> of time to allow others to connect. There is nothing you can do to change
> this. You accepted their terms and conditions when you paid for their
> service.
>
> If you do not want to have this problem, switch to DSL. It is your only
> choice.
>
> Bobby
>

> "xenonmill" <xenonmill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanx u all.
>> I reviewed my ISP contract, it does this on rush hours between 6-12pm
>> everyday. it should only be in those hours, other times or certain times
>> it
>> should be able to stay on longer. so it must be some internal switch that
>> am not aware of inside my own computer. please help.
>>
>> "xenonhill" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
>>> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
>>> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially
>>> when I
>>> am downloading stuff.
>>> please help.
>>> thanx.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:38:41 PM

>xenonhill <xenonhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
>MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds?
>I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when I
>am downloading stuff.
>please help.
>thanx.

Just a thought: You might want to check the setting in Control Panel \
Network...

Right-click your ISP name, properties, options. See what it has for
"idle time before hanging up".
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:27:51 PM

But, OP states it happens when downloading large files, this would not then
be "idle time before hanging up" as packets are constantly being
sent/received during a file download.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Maureen Goldman" <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message
> >xenonhill <xenonhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>>
>>I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
>>MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds?
>>I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when
>>am downloading stuff.
>>please help.
>>thanx.
>
> Just a thought: You might want to check the setting in Control Panel \
> Network...
>
> Right-click your ISP name, properties, options. See what it has for
> "idle time before hanging up".

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:01:02 PM

Richard and Bobby,

Unfortunately not everyone has access to DSL. I was forced to be on dial-up
until just recently when my cable company finally put broadband into service
in my community. DSL is still not available even though I am physically
less than 1/2 "wire" mile from the nearest CO. Verizon finally got decent
wireless service to my area. Hopefully DSL will follow and I'll be able to
get rid of cable.

> Right! With DSL you get your own "dedicated" line, direct to the CO
> (central office). No one else is attached to it. It doesn't change speed
> when others, also with their own dedicated DSL line, are doing heavy
> downloads. With cable it may, and does!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> There is no "switch:" in your computer. Your ISP provides you with an IP
>> address, which they can change or drop at nay time. There is nothing you
>> can do to prevent this, other than to get rid of dial-up and go to DSL.
>> Even on cable, you can be kicked off (the cable company also over-sells).
>> ISPs sell more connections than they have the capability to support (just
>> as airlines overbook popular flights). They kick you off after a period
>> of time to allow others to connect. There is nothing you can do to
>> change this. You accepted their terms and conditions when you paid for
>> their service.
>>
>> If you do not want to have this problem, switch to DSL. It is your only
>> choice.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

>> "xenonmill" <xenonmill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanx u all.
>>> I reviewed my ISP contract, it does this on rush hours between 6-12pm
>>> everyday. it should only be in those hours, other times or certain times
>>> it
>>> should be able to stay on longer. so it must be some internal switch
>>> that I
>>> am not aware of inside my own computer. please help.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:33:48 PM

Good luck to you! (-:

I had DSL for 4 years. I then got caught up in the cable hype and switched.
Well, that experiment lasted exactly 4 months. What a joke.

I am now back with DSL and have none of the problems that I was experiencing
with cable. DSL is just more reliable!

Cable is treated as "entertainment" by the cable companies. There is no rush
to solve problems or outages. DSL, on the other hand, treats DSL as a
communication service. I have never reported a problem that wasn't resolved
in a couple of hours. Each time I received a phone call from a phone company
representative (within a day or two) to find out if the problem has been
resolved to my satisfaction.

Hell, Time Warner Cable would never even acknowledge that the were HAVING a
problem!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Richard and Bobby,
>
> Unfortunately not everyone has access to DSL. I was forced to be on
> dial-up until just recently when my cable company finally put broadband
> into service in my community. DSL is still not available even though I am
> physically less than 1/2 "wire" mile from the nearest CO. Verizon finally
> got decent wireless service to my area. Hopefully DSL will follow and
> I'll be able to get rid of cable.

>> Right! With DSL you get your own "dedicated" line, direct to the CO
>> (central office). No one else is attached to it. It doesn't change speed
>> when others, also with their own dedicated DSL line, are doing heavy
>> downloads. With cable it may, and does!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>>> There is no "switch:" in your computer. Your ISP provides you with an IP
>>> address, which they can change or drop at nay time. There is nothing
>>> you can do to prevent this, other than to get rid of dial-up and go to
>>> DSL. Even on cable, you can be kicked off (the cable company also
>>> over-sells). ISPs sell more connections than they have the capability to
>>> support (just as airlines overbook popular flights). They kick you off
>>> after a period of time to allow others to connect. There is nothing you
>>> can do to change this. You accepted their terms and conditions when you
>>> paid for their service.
>>>
>>> If you do not want to have this problem, switch to DSL. It is your only
>>> choice.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>>> "xenonmill" <xenonmill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:15:19 AM

If you can't can't prevent the problem and you are downloading things, maybe
you want to consider using programs like getright...

"xenonhill" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have winxp on my computer and I use dial up for my internet access.
> MY dial up disconnect itself after 4hours and 30 seconds.
> I was hoping that someone can help me extend this longer; especially when I
> am downloading stuff.
> please help.
> thanx.

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:11:04 AM

> Maureen Goldman
> Just a thought: You might want to check the setting in Control Panel \
> Network...
>
> Right-click your ISP name, properties, options. See what it has for
> "idle time before hanging up".

>"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com> wrote:
>But, OP states it happens when downloading large files, this would not then
>be "idle time before hanging up" as packets are constantly being
>sent/received during a file download.

Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to check that setting. Your definition
of "idle time" may differ from the computer's notion of that term.
!