problem with DSL and dial up modem after Regedit

I spent almost 90 minutes trying to help a friend solve a computer
problem. The friend has two computers, a desktop and a notebook. They
swap a DSL direct connection by plugging and unplugging the cord to the
DSL modem. The problem is that the desktop no longer can access DSL,
or dial out with its 56k modem. The friend suspects that an improper
usage of Regedit when certain lines flagged by the antivirus program
were deleted instead of modified. Unfortunately, no backup export of
the Registry was made.

I did a cursory search for troubleshooting modems on the Internet. The
home computer was working fine one day, and then the next it was not.
So far the only symptoms are problems with the modem and DSL. The
device driver is there. Running a modem test from the Device manager
shows it there. Yet, it can not do something so simple as dialing out
using the phone dialer in the accessories folder, much less dialing up
for Internet. The error message is no dial tone. If wait for dial
tone is disabled, the modem looks like it keeps trying to dial out, but
I don't think it is doing so. (The sound is turned off.)

It may be a hardware problem, but modems rarely fail just for nothing.
There are no cats or pets to dislodge the wiring. Also the DSL modem
works fine for the notebook, but not at all for the desktop, so there
is definitely something up with the desktop. Thanks for any
suggestions. I am tempted to go for the panic button and do a fresh
install of Windows, but there must be intermediate solutions to try
before the scorched earth solution. I will do more research, but I may
be in over my head.
12 answers Last reply
More about problem dial modem regedit

    Try shutting down the desktop, turning off or unplugging the modem, then plug
    it back in or powering it back up wait for 30 seconds until the modem has
    completly started back up. Plug in the ethernet (RJ45) cable to the desktop
    and restart the computer.
    --
    Don Kendrick

    "Wchin8@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > I spent almost 90 minutes trying to help a friend solve a computer
    > problem. The friend has two computers, a desktop and a notebook. They
    > swap a DSL direct connection by plugging and unplugging the cord to the
    > DSL modem. The problem is that the desktop no longer can access DSL,
    > or dial out with its 56k modem. The friend suspects that an improper
    > usage of Regedit when certain lines flagged by the antivirus program
    > were deleted instead of modified. Unfortunately, no backup export of
    > the Registry was made.
    >
    > I did a cursory search for troubleshooting modems on the Internet. The
    > home computer was working fine one day, and then the next it was not.
    > So far the only symptoms are problems with the modem and DSL. The
    > device driver is there. Running a modem test from the Device manager
    > shows it there. Yet, it can not do something so simple as dialing out
    > using the phone dialer in the accessories folder, much less dialing up
    > for Internet. The error message is no dial tone. If wait for dial
    > tone is disabled, the modem looks like it keeps trying to dial out, but
    > I don't think it is doing so. (The sound is turned off.)
    >
    > It may be a hardware problem, but modems rarely fail just for nothing.
    > There are no cats or pets to dislodge the wiring. Also the DSL modem
    > works fine for the notebook, but not at all for the desktop, so there
    > is definitely something up with the desktop. Thanks for any
    > suggestions. I am tempted to go for the panic button and do a fresh
    > install of Windows, but there must be intermediate solutions to try
    > before the scorched earth solution. I will do more research, but I may
    > be in over my head.

    Shutting down the computer did not help. I found some other related
    posts and several more things were tried including:
    * uninstalling the 56k modem driver and then re-installing it.
    * LSPFix (winsock?)
    * CWShredder
    * Hijackthis

    In the process of trying things we also uninstalled the DSL software
    but could not get it reinstalled. It looks more and more like a
    reformat of the hard drive is the best option. I have never done that
    before. Of course the obvious is to backup all the data onto CD and be
    prepared to reinstall all the programs. I wish I had an external USB
    drive as that would make backing up all the data relatively easy.
    Anything else that might make this step easier/safer? It will probably
    be tackled next weekend.

    I would not reformat a harddrive when it sounds like you're only having a
    modem or setting problem. Something as simple as the two computers having a
    different nic card speed setting could cause it not to work. My simple advice
    would be to stop using dial up, use a network hub and connect both PCs to DSL.

    "Wchin8@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > Shutting down the computer did not help. I found some other related
    > posts and several more things were tried including:
    > * uninstalling the 56k modem driver and then re-installing it.
    > * LSPFix (winsock?)
    > * CWShredder
    > * Hijackthis
    >
    > In the process of trying things we also uninstalled the DSL software
    > but could not get it reinstalled. It looks more and more like a
    > reformat of the hard drive is the best option. I have never done that
    > before. Of course the obvious is to backup all the data onto CD and be
    > prepared to reinstall all the programs. I wish I had an external USB
    > drive as that would make backing up all the data relatively easy.
    > Anything else that might make this step easier/safer? It will probably
    > be tackled next weekend.

    Jay:
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of dial-up users do so not through
    cussedness, but through lack of choice. There are large swaths of the United
    States where neither a phone company nor a cable company is willing to spend
    the billions of dollars necessary to install the backbone necessary to
    support high-speed Internet access.

    Yes, I am, indeed, aware that satellite is an option -- I have satellite
    television. Satellite connection fails when there is sun-spot activity,
    fails when it snows, fails when it rains hard, and fails when the planets
    are aligned incorrectly. In addition to those downsides, satellite Internet
    costs $800 up front, costs $80 per month, and is supplied by only two
    companies, each with questionable long-term viability. StarBand is under
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection, and Hughes has had their satellite
    Internet division for sale for several years.

    steve

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would not reformat a harddrive when it sounds like you're only having a
    > modem or setting problem. Something as simple as the two computers having
    > different nic card speed setting could cause it not to work. My simple
    > advice
    > would be to stop using dial up, use a network hub and connect both PCs to
    > DSL.
    >
    > "Wchin8@hotmail.com" wrote:
    >
    >> Shutting down the computer did not help. I found some other related
    >> posts and several more things were tried including:
    >> * uninstalling the 56k modem driver and then re-installing it.
    >> * LSPFix (winsock?)
    >> * CWShredder
    >> * Hijackthis
    >>
    >> In the process of trying things we also uninstalled the DSL software
    >> but could not get it reinstalled. It looks more and more like a
    >> reformat of the hard drive is the best option. I have never done that
    >> before. Of course the obvious is to backup all the data onto CD and be
    >> prepared to reinstall all the programs. I wish I had an external USB
    >> drive as that would make backing up all the data relatively easy.
    >> Anything else that might make this step easier/safer? It will probably
    >> be tackled next weekend.

    And it's not just the United States, the area I live in has only just been
    ADSL enabled. I live in a rural village in Wales UK, no chance of cable in
    the district and to enable an exchange the phone company needs a certain
    amount of people to sign up before they will do it. In this small area
    that's asking a lot our only saving grace was we have an MOD station just
    along the coast and they demanded it be done <g>

    So as you said not everyone is able to connect high speed even if they
    want to.
    Joan

    Og wrote:
    > Jay:
    > Keep in mind that the vast majority of dial-up users do so not through
    > cussedness, but through lack of choice. There are large swaths of the
    > United States where neither a phone company nor a cable company is
    > willing to spend the billions of dollars necessary to install the
    > backbone necessary to support high-speed Internet access.

    If is very simple to complete a new clean install without a format or losing
    your data.

    CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:

    > If is very simple to complete a new clean install without a format or
    > losing your data.

    No, I'm sorry but that is incorrect. The definitions of a "clean
    install" is to format the hard drive (preferably deleting the partition
    first, although this isn't a requirement) which will remove all the
    data on the hard drive.* You are thinking of a "repair install" which
    is in effect reinstalling the operating system "on top" of itself. A
    repair install will leave the programs and data intact. Here are links
    to help you with both types of installs:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

    *Data recovery software can find data on a formatted drive, but without
    any special programs like that the data will be gone.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I do it everyday. Everyday sometimes twice.
    Bootable CD or Floppy

    Depending on the OS, the OS CD or Options directory...
    Xcopy C:\Windows\Options C:\Options

    The the DOS Move command
    Move C:\Windows C:\OldWin

    Move C:\Progra~1 C:\OldPro

    Reinstall from C:\Options or from the CD-Rom
    All existing Data is left on the hard drive.
    You have to install all your other programs such as office.

    You will find much more info at:
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    =======================================
    "Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."

    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in New Orleans

    http://military.accaw.org
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================
    > CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:
    >
    >> If is very simple to complete a new clean install without a format or
    >> losing your data.
    >
    > No, I'm sorry but that is incorrect. The definitions of a "clean
    > install" is to format the hard drive (preferably deleting the partition
    > first, although this isn't a requirement) which will remove all the
    > data on the hard drive.* You are thinking of a "repair install" which
    > is in effect reinstalling the operating system "on top" of itself. A
    > repair install will leave the programs and data intact. Here are links
    > to help you with both types of installs:
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install
    >
    > *Data recovery software can find data on a formatted drive, but without
    > any special programs like that the data will be gone.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:

    > I do it everyday. Everyday sometimes twice.
    > Bootable CD or Floppy
    >
    > Depending on the OS, the OS CD or Options directory...
    > Xcopy C:\Windows\Options C:\Options
    >
    > The the DOS Move command
    > Move C:\Windows C:\OldWin
    >
    > Move C:\Progra~1 C:\OldPro
    >
    > Reinstall from C:\Options or from the CD-Rom
    > All existing Data is left on the hard drive.
    > You have to install all your other programs such as office.

    Yes, I'm sure that works for you but it isn't a clean install. The main
    point here is to make sure that the OP really understands that if s/he
    formats his/her drive, his/her data will be gone. We want to make sure
    the OP completely understands this *before* s/he formats his drive so
    there are no Tears Before Bedtime when s/he goes to find those precious
    photos or data files and they aren't there.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You know if anyone knows how to format then they know all is gone - lost -
    forever.

    > CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:
    >
    >> I do it everyday. Everyday sometimes twice.
    >> Bootable CD or Floppy
    >>
    >> Depending on the OS, the OS CD or Options directory...
    >> Xcopy C:\Windows\Options C:\Options
    >>
    >> The the DOS Move command
    >> Move C:\Windows C:\OldWin
    >>
    >> Move C:\Progra~1 C:\OldPro
    >>
    >> Reinstall from C:\Options or from the CD-Rom
    >> All existing Data is left on the hard drive.
    >> You have to install all your other programs such as office.
    >>
    > Yes, I'm sure that works for you but it isn't a clean install. The main
    > point here is to make sure that the OP really understands that if s/he
    > formats his/her drive, his/her data will be gone. We want to make sure
    > the OP completely understands this *before* s/he formats his drive so
    > there are no Tears Before Bedtime when s/he goes to find those precious
    > photos or data files and they aren't there.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:

    > You know if anyone knows how to format then they know all is gone -
    > lost - forever.

    No, that is not necessarily true. Look at the name of this newsgroup: it
    is windowsxp.newusers. Trust me, never take the depth of an end user's
    knowledge for granted. That is not a slam against end users; it is just
    knowing that it is better to never assume what an end user does or
    doesn't know - it is always better to spell it out for them in advance
    to prevent mistakes. One of the Golden Rules of dealing with end users
    is Do No Harm.

    If you want to have complex technical discussions, you should post in a
    group that is not specifically for new users of anything.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    New users can learn here and they need to learn and want to learn how to
    reinstall windows without formatting the hard drive.

    > CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:
    >
    >> You know if anyone knows how to format then they know all is gone -
    >> lost - forever.
    >
    > No, that is not necessarily true. Look at the name of this newsgroup: it
    > is windowsxp.newusers. Trust me, never take the depth of an end user's
    > knowledge for granted. That is not a slam against end users; it is just
    > knowing that it is better to never assume what an end user does or
    > doesn't know - it is always better to spell it out for them in advance
    > to prevent mistakes. One of the Golden Rules of dealing with end users
    > is Do No Harm.
    >
    > If you want to have complex technical discussions, you should post in a
    > group that is not specifically for new users of anything.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com