Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build ASUS A7N8X mobo, AGP Problems

Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2003 8:23:31 PM

Hello, I am need of advice. I have purchased components to build a new system. After putting it all together the BFG GeForce FX 5200 will not display when used on my new ASUS A7N8X motherboard. After multiple power unplugs and reseats and even CMOS reset the system still does not display anything. The power checks OK, the Jumpers are OK, the Video AGP warning LED is not on. During every first complete restart the Fan on the AGP board comes on for 1 sec then never again?.
Please any Positive help would be appreciated!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mmacleod22 on 07/09/03 04:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : computer build asus a7n8x mobo agp problems

July 9, 2003 8:30:02 PM

Could be power.... as far as I know, the new Geforce cards suck some serious juice.
July 9, 2003 8:38:19 PM

Yeah, I was worried about that.
However, I have taken all power off the other components except the motherboard and still no improvement.
Related resources
July 10, 2003 1:01:13 AM

Are you sure its the AGP card?, have u tried another?

Dont know what stuff u got but corsair LL memory in combination with a7n8x < rev 1.06 can behave like that.
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2003 1:15:41 AM

OMG I bet I'm seeing a dozen guys a week with this problem now! Why the sudden increase, I have no idea!

The answer is obvious if you took time to read the first post in this forum, a circuit on the back of your motherboard is being grounded by a misplaced mounting post.

You see, when you first plug in most computers, the fan will spin for 1 second (roughly). Then the only way to power it on is to use the power button. I assume you have the power button connected to the power button plug on the board, right? And if nothing happens after that, 90% of the time it's because your board is grounded.

Now, that leaves a 10% chance of me being wrong. If I were a gambling man, such odds would be oh so sweet!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
July 10, 2003 1:18:55 AM

Does the 5200 have an external power connection so you can connect it to the power supply like the FX 5900 and the R9700 and the 9800's? If it does, did you remember to connect it?

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.
July 11, 2003 5:38:39 PM

This problem can also happen if you do not have a strong enough power supply. I would say that you should have at least a 350W.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.
!