Anyone have problems with Apple?

Mr_Coke

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone ever has any problems with Apple computers. I'm thinking of going that route with one of my future computers (regardless of compatibility issues).

Most of the people I know who change to Apple say they love it, and would never go back to pc. Anyone have any bad experience with Apple that they can share?

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Problems? No, no problems. Unless, of course, you count having Apple turn a $3000+ investment into a big doorstop overnight is a problem. Take this to heart. Ask any IT manager and they'll tell you: NEVER marry your computing to a single-source supplier. In other words, if only one company controls your entire computing life, then you're playing Russian roulette with more than one chamber loaded. They dropped the entire Apple II line overnight. They could do the same with the Mac if they wanted to. Your entire purchase could be so much yard-sale junk.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

dhlucke

Polypheme
OMG! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read. LOL

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester, DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D, 1GB Corsair 4400C25PT, WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB, ATI X800XL, Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I know this is a little late but I just can't leave an opportunity to bash apple :) I can't think of a GOOD experience I've had with apple, lol.
Peartree's comments are all valid. Having worked in the corprate area for quite some time myself I know all about that. Having everything come from one source is the worst thing you could do.

As long as you keep an apple computer off a network it is at least mildly usable. Put a couple of em on a network and they and the network slow to a crawl. Appletalk was the worst idea ever. I know PCs had IPX (basically the same thing) but at least it was dumped fast :) PCs rule the corprate environment hands down. People may not like microsoft for various reasons but you have to admit they sure know wtf they are doing. Apple even uses IDE hard drives in their servers, wtf were they thinking?
I could rant on and on but I'll just leave it at that...

Yes I have personally owned a mac for a brief period, not a day went by that it didn't piss me off.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I've owned a mac for 12 years. They're good machines. The software availability was what turned me away from them and that's it. That's a big enough reason though and unless you have a specific task that the mac does better with its software or are just browsing the internet, word processing, and want to do it on a mac, you're better off with a pc. If you're out for a sweet looking machine the mac is going to be a nice choice as well. They simply look nice on any desk.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Mac used to be the way to go with somethings simply becaust the software was only avaliable for that platform. Now pretty much all those apps are avaliable for both so there is really no reason to get a mac (besides the shinyness of course). If I'm goona shell out $5k for a machine I'm not after looks. A PC will an equiv price tag will own that mac in basically everything.
The one thing that ticked me off more than anything else on the mac is how slow the interface is. I've used os 8.6 through 10.2 and I just couldn't stand how slow (and sometimes choppy) navigating the gui was. Maybe the machines weren't powerful enough to run their own os or something but I don't know. Even the dual 2ghz g5 I messed with slowly chunk/faded it's menus and windows. On every pc I have worked on and own the menus have been instantaneous. Even old poopers I had to do consulting work on could still navigate fast. microsoft knows how to make a gui, it is fast and makes sense. When I sat down for the first time infront of an os x machine after using 9.x for a long time I was like WTF?!?! It makes no sense, lol. And of course for our convenience they changed pretty much all the keyboard shortcuts :)
There i go again on my ranting spree again, lol. Oh well, I personally think the only thing apple has going for them now is sleek shiny looks. That isn't worth the price tag though.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Whatever floats their boat. I'm not a mac person anymore but they do serve a niche market. I can understand that.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Let me give you a concrete example of Apple's idea of "customer service". It involves iTunes.

Now, as everyone SHOULD know, if you lose your copy of an iTunes download, you're s**t out of luck. You have to pay again for music you've already paid for. So, I went looking for their customer "service" to find out the official word on the matter. Foolishly, I clicked the customer service menu choice (yes, they even leave off the capital letters in their menu :) ).

It took me to the web site, where I was greeted (if you can call it that) by a page full of text that was basically a set of FAQ's and nothing else. The one exception was a small link on a sidebar that said 'Tech Support'. Very funny. The only way of contacting Apple for tech support turns out to be through online forums. Now, there was another link back to customer "service", which leads you back to the FAQ page.

In all these pages, there's no e-mail address or phone number to contact Apple if you DID have a real problem, just the forum link.

So, let's go there. Sign up for the forums and take a look around for the problem of ruined music files. Ah! HUNDREDS of messages of folks in that situation! Then you start to read the original cries for help and the replies. The first thing you find is that there weren't ANY replies from Apple employees. Oh, there were lots of answers, but each one was basically saying 'Too bad, you stupid f***er, you have to pay again!'. Some actually used that language. I picked a thread more or less at random of the folks who lost their music through no fault of their own (i.e. system crash) and posted a rather uncomplimentary little letter about Apple and their idea of customer "service". I figured that at least one voice should speak up for the other side.

The result was that Apple removed my post (nice case of censorship, no?) and sent me a warning letter about inappropriate posts.

So, now you know how Apple views their customers. Thank GOD I don't own a Mac!!! If anything went wrong, they might tell me to kiss off!

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

RichPLS

Champion
Simply put, Apples are fruits, and as such, rot.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>