hp 5510 handshake

I just replaced a hp v40xi multifunction with an hp 5510 multifunction which
works perfectly, except refusing to RECEIVE FAXES THRU MY BROADBAND CABLE
LINE (optimum online). Prior v40xi worked perfectly. New 5510 sends but will
NOT receive; it does receive thru regular telephone line.
Sevral hours on the support phones of HP, IOonline, Cable vision, and
VONAGE, gave no results. What is the matter with this setup?? Anyone??

Thanks Michael

Insert a catchy tag line here Michael M. Petrone parbiter@optonline.net tel:
fax: mobile: 845 782-5535 845 231 1091 845 248 1007 Signature powered by
Plaxo Want a signature like this? Add me to your address book...

I have a 5510 (and DSL for my internet), and the FAX function works via
regular phone line only. In my case with the DSL, the 5510 FAX uses the
filtered path to the phone line (same as voice phones) as opposed to the
unfiltered phone line for the DSL.

As far as I know, a standard TELCO line is the only way any FAX machine
works. If you were using a broadband connection for FAX, it must have been
via an online FAX support web site. In that case you're using the net to
send document to FAX service and then they actually do the FAXing. Even if
you have other FAX software installed on your PC, it still works through
the telephone line.

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net