Wireless connection problem

Hi,

First thanks for your time.

I've ran out of ideas after 5 days trying to fix this problem. Here is the
scenario:

My network configuration:

Cable modem
|--> Netgear Router/4port switch
|--> 3Com OfficeConnect 11g Access point
|--> Laptop(XP Home) with 3Com 11g Card

Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to assign
static IPs to my network devices. I have set the 3Com Wireless Access Point
to accept the IP address assigned by Netgear router and I have disabled 3Com
to act as DHCP server. When connected all devices assigned correct IPs and
work fine including my Sony Centring laptop (Xp Pro - 11g built-in card)
without any problem.

However my wife's Toshiba laptop using 3Com 11g Card randomly looses
connection to the internet "Page can not be displayed" and we have to reboot
her PC or unplug/plug the card. When her laptop looses the connection, IP
address is still assigned and wireless signal strength show excellent, but
unable to ping any IPs (LAN or WAN). This problem with her laptop started
happening last week and it has been working fine for over a year.

I have done the followings, but it hasn't fix the problem:

1. Installed latest driver/firmware on Netgear router, 3ComOfficeConnect
Wireless Access point and 3Com 11 g card.
2. Installed Win Xp SP 2 (then uninstalled it as I thought it might have
caused more problems).
3. Disabled WPA, WEP wireless encryption
4. Disabled Sygate software firewall on her PC.
5. Set the IE 6 security to default level and default settings. Also emptied
catch and temp internet files.
6. Changed Wireless channels (but signal strength is not the problem as it
shows "excellent").
7. Rebooted all devices after each change.

I think Toshiba software/11g card might be the problem as my Sony laptop
connection to same wireless access point works fine whilst Toshiba laptop
showing the problem.

Sorry for the long post.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Kind regards

Mehdi
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection problem

    Mehdi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First thanks for your time.
    >

    > I've ran out of ideas after 5 days trying to fix this problem. Here
    > is the scenario:
    >
    > My network configuration:
    >
    > Cable modem
    > |--> Netgear Router/4port switch
    > |--> 3Com OfficeConnect 11g Access point
    > |--> Laptop(XP Home) with 3Com 11g Card
    >

    > Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to
    > assign static IPs to my network devices. I have set the 3Com
    > Wireless Access Point to accept the IP address assigned by Netgear
    > router and I have disabled 3Com to act as DHCP server. When
    > connected all devices assigned correct IPs and work fine including my
    > Sony Centring laptop (Xp Pro - 11g built-in card) without any problem.
    >
    > However my wife's Toshiba laptop using 3Com 11g Card randomly looses
    > connection to the internet "Page can not be displayed" and we have to
    > reboot her PC or unplug/plug the card. When her laptop looses the
    > connection, IP address is still assigned and wireless signal strength
    > show excellent, but unable to ping any IPs (LAN or WAN). This
    > problem with her laptop started happening last week and it has been
    > working fine for over a year.
    >
    > I have done the followings, but it hasn't fix the problem:
    >
    > 1. Installed latest driver/firmware on Netgear router,
    > 3ComOfficeConnect Wireless Access point and 3Com 11 g card.
    > 2. Installed Win Xp SP 2 (then uninstalled it as I thought it might
    > have caused more problems).
    > 3. Disabled WPA, WEP wireless encryption
    > 4. Disabled Sygate software firewall on her PC.
    > 5. Set the IE 6 security to default level and default settings. Also
    > emptied catch and temp internet files.
    > 6. Changed Wireless channels (but signal strength is not the problem
    > as it shows "excellent").
    > 7. Rebooted all devices after each change.
    >
    > I think Toshiba software/11g card might be the problem as my Sony
    > laptop connection to same wireless access point works fine whilst
    > Toshiba laptop showing the problem.
    >

    > Sorry for the long post.
    >
    > I really appreciate any help or suggestions.
    >

    > Kind regards
    >

    > Mehdi

    "Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to assign
    static IPs to my network devices." Static IP addresses are defined in
    the TCP/IP properties for the device. They are not assigned by a DHCP
    server. What do you really mean by this? Does each device use automatic
    IP address (DHCP) or is the address specificed in the device?

    * When the laptop randomly loses connection, try and see if you can do:

    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

    This way to see if this laptop can still reach the DHCP Server. This may
    tell if the layer 2 data link is still working.
    (See if while this has occurred if the other computers can as well release
    and renew their IP Address.)

    Perhaps this wireless card is going bad? Try a different wireless card and
    see if the same problem occurs.

    See what is in "arp -a" arp cache:

    C:\>arp -a

    Interface: 192.168.0.1 --- 0x5
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.0.200 00-0c-41-f3-1f-ed dynamic

    * Try to ping again ip addresses of 3Com Access Point, and Netgear Router.
    Check arp again (as above). If you don't get a ping response, and you don't
    get an arp listing from these devices, then Layer 2 Data Link is not
    working. This could be the hardware (wireless card). Try this same thing
    with wired network (and other wireless card) both to make sure it isn't
    something corrupted in Windows.

    --
    ---
    Alan Spicer (a_spicer@bellsouth.net)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67301&item=5720244698&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71501&item=5720248783&rd=1&tc=photo

    "Mehdi" <nospam@leavemealone.nowhere> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > First thanks for your time.
    >

    > I've ran out of ideas after 5 days trying to fix this problem. Here is
    > the
    > scenario:
    >
    > My network configuration:
    >
    > Cable modem
    > |--> Netgear Router/4port switch
    > |--> 3Com OfficeConnect 11g Access point
    > |--> Laptop(XP Home) with 3Com 11g Card
    >

    > Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to assign
    > static IPs to my network devices. I have set the 3Com Wireless Access
    > Point
    > to accept the IP address assigned by Netgear router and I have disabled
    > 3Com
    > to act as DHCP server. When connected all devices assigned correct IPs
    > and
    > work fine including my Sony Centring laptop (Xp Pro - 11g built-in card)
    > without any problem.
    >
    > However my wife's Toshiba laptop using 3Com 11g Card randomly looses
    > connection to the internet "Page can not be displayed" and we have to
    > reboot
    > her PC or unplug/plug the card. When her laptop looses the connection, IP
    > address is still assigned and wireless signal strength show excellent, but
    > unable to ping any IPs (LAN or WAN). This problem with her laptop started
    > happening last week and it has been working fine for over a year.
    >

    > I have done the followings, but it hasn't fix the problem:
    >
    > 1. Installed latest driver/firmware on Netgear router, 3ComOfficeConnect
    > Wireless Access point and 3Com 11 g card.
    > 2. Installed Win Xp SP 2 (then uninstalled it as I thought it might have
    > caused more problems).
    > 3. Disabled WPA, WEP wireless encryption
    > 4. Disabled Sygate software firewall on her PC.
    > 5. Set the IE 6 security to default level and default settings. Also
    > emptied
    > catch and temp internet files.
    > 6. Changed Wireless channels (but signal strength is not the problem as it
    > shows "excellent").
    > 7. Rebooted all devices after each change.
    >
    > I think Toshiba software/11g card might be the problem as my Sony laptop
    > connection to same wireless access point works fine whilst Toshiba laptop
    > showing the problem.
    >

    > Sorry for the long post.
    >
    > I really appreciate any help or suggestions.
    >

    > Kind regards
    >

    > Mehdi

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:46:58 GMT, "Mehdi"
    <nospam@leavemealone.nowhere> wrote:

    >Cable modem
    > |--> Netgear Router/4port switch
    > |--> 3Com OfficeConnect 11g Access point
    > |--> Laptop(XP Home) with 3Com 11g Card

    Sigh. How about a clue as to the exact model numbers of your
    hardware? I'll assume the Access Point is a model 8250.

    >Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to assign
    >static IPs to my network devices.

    Static IP's are a good thing if setup correctly. You can even have
    both DHCP and static IP's on the same LAN. However, please do NOT
    assign static IP's in the middle of the DHCP address range as you may
    end up with a duplicate IP address. Any clues as to how you have the
    IP addresses arranged?

    >I have set the 3Com Wireless Access Point
    >to accept the IP address assigned by Netgear router and I have disabled 3Com
    >to act as DHCP server.

    Well, I guess your 3com access point is not an 8250, which does not
    have a DHCP server. In fact, very few access points have DHCP
    servers. What's the 3com model number?

    >When connected all devices assigned correct IPs and
    >work fine including my Sony Centring laptop (Xp Pro - 11g built-in card)
    >without any problem.

    What is "all"?

    >However my wife's Toshiba laptop using 3Com 11g Card randomly looses
    >connection to the internet "Page can not be displayed" and we have to reboot
    >her PC or unplug/plug the card.

    What model 3Com 11g card?

    >When her laptop looses the connection, IP
    >address is still assigned and wireless signal strength show excellent, but
    >unable to ping any IPs (LAN or WAN). This problem with her laptop started
    >happening last week and it has been working fine for over a year.

    Yeah, that's a common problem with XP. Go into the advanced
    properties for the wireless card and turn *OFF* 802.1x authentication.
    If that doesn't do it, disable Wireless Zero Config.

    >I have done the followings, but it hasn't fix the problem:
    >
    >1. Installed latest driver/firmware on Netgear router, 3ComOfficeConnect
    >Wireless Access point and 3Com 11 g card.

    Version numbers of drivers installed? Model number of Netgear router?
    There are some rather buggy versions of firmware for various devices.
    In some cases, latest may not be best.

    >2. Installed Win Xp SP 2 (then uninstalled it as I thought it might have
    >caused more problems).

    Windoze XP SP2 is a great improvement over the previous incantations
    in wireless. I've also seen some amazing improvements in wireless
    performance after installing XP SP2 (with no clue as to why). I
    suggest you first check if your Toshiba laptop requires any updates or
    fixes before installing XP SP2, and then re-install it.

    >3. Disabled WPA, WEP wireless encryption
    >4. Disabled Sygate software firewall on her PC.

    I don't think you need a software proxy server behind a Netgear
    firewall. If security is the issue, I suggest replacing Sygate with
    ZoneAlarm of Kerio personal firewalls (and disabling the Microsoft
    firewall that comes with XP SP2).

    >5. Set the IE 6 security to default level and default settings. Also emptied
    >catch and temp internet files.
    >6. Changed Wireless channels (but signal strength is not the problem as it
    >shows "excellent").
    >7. Rebooted all devices after each change.

    >I think Toshiba software/11g card might be the problem as my Sony laptop
    >connection to same wireless access point works fine whilst Toshiba laptop
    >showing the problem.

    Yes, I agree that it's probably the Toshiba laptop, XP, or wireless
    card. The easiest way to tell is to replace parts and pieces and see
    if the problem moves or stays. Therefore, I suggest that you:
    1. Go to a wireless hot spot and test the laptop. If that works, you
    may have a problem with your unspecified 3com access point.
    2. Remove the 3com 802.11g card and try it in a different computah.
    If that computah has the same problem, there is something wrong with
    the card or the driver.
    3. Try a different wireless card in the Toshiba laptop. Cards are
    cheap enough that a spare would not be a major expense.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Thanks for suggestions guys.

    This morning I changed the encryption from WPA to WEP and it seems ok now.
    I have to wait and see.

    Regards

    Mehdi

    Potential XP SP2 network problem fix

    hi all, try this; it worked for me. (it's a little advanced, so you
    may want a techie friend to help you out. Also, I provide these
    instructions as-is and I am not responsible for anything you do to
    your computer.. GL!)

    DISABLE TCP/IP IN NETWORK CONNECTION
    1)Open Network Connections (right click on My Network Places and click
    properties)
    2)Right click on the offending network connection and click
    Properties. (Wireless Network Connection, or Local Area Connection.)
    3)Uncheck the checkbox next to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    4)Click OK
    5)Click Yes if a dialog pops up asking if you want to disable the
    other components
    Repeat steps 2,3,4,5 for other network connections that are not
    working.

    RESET WINDOWS TCP/IP
    6)Click Start/Run/ type in "cmd" , and click OK
    7)in the command prompt, type ipconfig /release

    8)type "netsh int ip reset ip-reset-logfile.txt"
    This step resets your ip stack in windows.
    SEE: Microsoft KB article 299357
    »support.microsoft.com/?id=299357

    ENABLE TCP/IP IN NETWORK CONNECTION
    9)Re-open the 'offending' network connections as outlined in 1),2)
    10)Re-Check the checkbox next to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    11)Click OK
    12)in the command prompt, enter ipconfig /renew
    (if you have performed this sequence for a wireless connection, it may
    take a moment to re-connect, so you may have to enter ipconfig /renew
    a couple of times.

    13)check your favorite web browser, you should be all set!

    --Abe

    "Mehdi" <nospam@leavemealone.nowhere> wrote in message news:<Of31d.33485$v93.7878@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Thanks for suggestions guys.
    >

    > This morning I changed the encryption from WPA to WEP and it seems ok now.
    > I have to wait and see.
    >

    > Regards
    >

    > Mehdi

Wireless Wireless Networking