Headset does not function

I recently bought a headset and plugged it into the sound card of my computer
(with xp professioan).

My speakers were working fine and still working fine.

However, when I test ( control panel - sound and audio devices - voice -
test hardware --) it does not respond.

I put a audio cd in my cd rom - I can hear the music from speakers but
nothing from headset.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about headset function

    Try...

    Plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the CD drive.

    Use the volume control on the front of the CD drive.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:22485BAB-6900-4E89-A6B1-08412E269EB4@microsoft.com,
    Ram <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I recently bought a headset and plugged it into the sound card of my
    > computer (with xp professioan).
    >
    > My speakers were working fine and still working fine.
    >
    > However, when I test ( control panel - sound and audio devices - voice -
    > test hardware --) it does not respond.
    >
    > I put a audio cd in my cd rom - I can hear the music from speakers but
    > nothing from headset.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Thank you very much... I did you you suggested and I do not hear any sound...

    However, I still need to attach to sound card as I should be able to record
    as well as play.

    Thnaks

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Try...
    >
    > Plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the CD drive.
    >
    > Use the volume control on the front of the CD drive.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:22485BAB-6900-4E89-A6B1-08412E269EB4@microsoft.com,
    > Ram <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I recently bought a headset and plugged it into the sound card of my
    > > computer (with xp professioan).
    > >
    > > My speakers were working fine and still working fine.
    > >
    > > However, when I test ( control panel - sound and audio devices - voice -
    > > test hardware --) it does not respond.
    > >
    > > I put a audio cd in my cd rom - I can hear the music from speakers but
    > > nothing from headset.
    > >
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    I misread your first post.

    Does your headset have two plugs?

    If so make sure the mic plug is in the mic jack and that the headphones plug
    is in the headphones jack of your sound card.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:041F68A5-7DD7-4A6A-BD46-A529F17DC253@microsoft.com,
    Ram <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you very much... I did you you suggested and I do not hear any
    > sound...
    >
    > However, I still need to attach to sound card as I should be able to
    > record as well as play.
    >
    > Thnaks
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Try...
    >>
    >> Plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the CD
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Use the volume control on the front of the CD drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:22485BAB-6900-4E89-A6B1-08412E269EB4@microsoft.com,
    >> Ram <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I recently bought a headset and plugged it into the sound card of my
    >>> computer (with xp professioan).
    >>>
    >>> My speakers were working fine and still working fine.
    >>>
    >>> However, when I test ( control panel - sound and audio devices - voice -
    >>> test hardware --) it does not respond.
    >>>
    >>> I put a audio cd in my cd rom - I can hear the music from speakers but
    >>> nothing from headset.
    >>>
    >>> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Yes I did that ... again to be sure, I tried inverse of this as well, but no
    luck.

    thanks

    "Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you very much... I did you you suggested and I do not hear any
    > sound...
    >
    > However, I still need to attach to sound card as I should be able to
    > record
    > as well as play.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Try...
    >>
    >> Plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the CD
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Use the volume control on the front of the CD drive.
    >>
    >> In news:22485BAB-6900-4E89-A6B1-08412E269EB4@microsoft.com,
    >> Ram <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > I recently bought a headset and plugged it into the sound card of
    >> > my
    >> > computer (with xp professioan).
    >> >
    >> > My speakers were working fine and still working fine.
    >> >
    >> > However, when I test ( control panel - sound and audio devices -
    >> > voice -
    >> > test hardware --) it does not respond.
    >> >
    >> > I put a audio cd in my cd rom - I can hear the music from speakers
    >> > but
    >> > nothing from headset.

    Well, since you plugged in the headphone into the CD-ROM drive's own
    headphone jack and you didn't hear anything when playing an audio CD,
    that wasn't a good enough clue? Does the headphone set work when you
    plug it into a CD player, stereo, radio, or anywhere else? Sounds like
    your headphones don't work. Try a different set.

Gaming Headsets Speakers Windows XP