P4P800 Test results

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’m just starting to do some test with Dual Channel enabled/Disabled and I used 3DMark 3, none 9x GPU. What do you think? Personally I don’t get it.

Test 1) 2804 MHz – Ram 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-6 Dual Channel enabled…3DMark= 1411
Test 2) 2940 MHz – Ram 140 MHz 2-3-3-6 Dual Channel Disabled...3DMark= 1410
Test 3) 3361 MHz – Ram 192 MHz 2.5-4-4-8 Dual Channel Disabled...3DMark= 1412
Test 4) 2806 MHz – Ram 200 MHz 2.5-4-4-8 Dual Channel enabled...3DMark= 1413

Test 1) Ram Set = DDR 400
Test 2) Ram Set = Auto
Test 3) Ram Set = Think Auto
Test 4) Ram Set = DDR 330

Test 2-3 were on Turbo, and I believe 1-4 were Auto
As for Performance Acceleration Mode either set two Enabled/Auto, which ever would boot. Even set to Auto as long as the cpu wasn’t overclock the Dual Channel was enabled.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
bump...Anyone?

By the way I change drivers and have better scores, but my main point is to understand why these test are so close and to try to figure out if it would be better with a normal speed with Dual Channel or to overclock with out Dual Channel, which these test results don’t seem to help.

Test 4) 3361 MHz – Ram 192 MHz 2.5-4-4-8 Dual Channel Disabled...3DMark= 1922

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Jiffy;

What graphics card was this test done with?

I dont have a p4p800 so i dont know for sure, but with my Asus P4G8X-Deluxe, dual channel mode is enabled reguardless of what i do to the Bios, as it is hardware enabled by the configuration of the modules physical position in the slots on the motherboard, and can not be controlled in any way from the Bios, Are you saying you moved the Ram physically to different slots on the motherboard to disable Dual Channel Mode? I find it hard to believe the i865 chipset is any different then the i7205 chipset in this reguard.

Are you manually forcing your AGP/PCI frequencies to 100/66 to maintain a pure environment?

Your manual setting of the CPU external Frequency at 200x4 and of Auto will yield the same result.

in response to:
------------------------------------------------------------
As for Performance Acceleration Mode either set two Enabled/Auto, which ever would boot. Even set to Auto as long as the cpu wasn’t overclock the Dual Channel was enabled.
------------------------------------------------------------

I dont understand your english, restate what you were trying to say please.

As far as i know, and i have been wrong before...

1) 3D-mark is a graphics card benchmarking utility.

Since the max troughput of your card externaly is 1.2GBps on a 4xAGP bus, as long as your memory bus and CPU can match that throughput (which it can in either memory mode) your going to get just about the same 3D Mark score reguardless of wether your motherboard is in single channel mode or dual channel mode, because graphics processing is done by your graphics card internaly, 3D-Mark is testing your GPU performance and not your over all system performance. It could care less what mode your motherboard is operating in.

2) PC-mark is a system benchmarking utility.

If you want to test your Overall system performance between Single channel and Dual channel mode then you need to run PC-Mark instead.

XeeN

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the reply: I have a GF4 and an 865PE chip on the mobo. On my mobo I have Hyper Path, which is similar to PAT on the i875 chip, which is dual channel. I did believe it was enabled threw Turbo Mode, but now am pretty sure it’s threw Performance Acceleration Mode. Anyways by using cpu-z version 1.18c I can see when dual channel is enabled or disabled. My options are enabled/auto, but either setting can reach dual channel as long as my cpu is not overclock. I can overclock my ram, but as soon as I do the cpu dual channel will become disabled. So I might be left with one or the other, and that being either using dual channel, or not using it and overclocking the cpu. So I’m trying to figure out which is faster.

You must be right, and I need to test another way, so I’ll try PC-mark. There seems to be 2 cpu test on 3D-Mark and believed overclocking the cpu would give me some difference in scores, but it doesn’t look that way.

So thanks again, I’ll try PC-mark and see what results I get.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya jiffy;

I dont believe that dual channel mode has anything to do with either setting, it cant be altered in your bios at all, to prove this set both to Disabled.

XeeN

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Well good by to dual channel. I'll have to take the overclock over it, unless some how I can get it enabled while overclock. I hope a BIOS update or something changes this, because I now think I should of went with a i875 chip.

CPU 2806-Ram 200-2.5-4-4-8=CPU 6877-Memory 7936-HDD 1089 Disabled (ags) 128

CPU 2806-Ram 200-2.5-4-4-8=CPU 6892-Memory 8128-HDD 1110 Disabled (ags) 32

CPU 2806-Ram 200-2.5-4-4-8=CPU 6897-Memory 8482-HDD 1099 Enable (ags) 128

CPU 3361-Ram192-2.5-4-4-8=CPU 8289-Memory 9238-HDD 1117 Disabled (ags) 128

Just an update incase anyone is following. I redid the first test, also added another, because the (ags) graphics aperture size was different, also a couple things were closed out.

I’m also starting to think a lower graphics aperture size is better.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 07/10/03 05:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I dont believe that dual channel mode has anything to do with either setting, it cant be altered in your bios at all, to prove this set both to Disabled.
For Memory Acceleration Mode I only have two choices Enabled/Auto. And in the BIOS this feature says (minimize latencies from cpu to memory boost performance). From the quote below you can see how PAT is enabled, but it doesn’t say anything about Dual channel. If PAT has nothing to do with Dual channel, then I still don’t fully understand yet. For all I know I could be talking about two different things, but if I’m not mistaking one time I was able to force the dual channel by selecting enabled in Memory Acceleration Mode, but only so, because the cpu wasn’t overclocked.

ASUS Hyper Path provides a short cut for data transfer between the CPU and memory by bypassing redundant mechanisms included in conservative chipset designs. The ASUS innovation significantly shortens latency time and enhances performance without sacrificing stability. Before implementing the advanced technology, ASUS' engineering team conducted thorough and stringent tests to strike a perfect balance between performance and reliability.
Of course, this is similar to PAT function present in the 875 chipset.
To enjoy Hyper Path, a unique technology for the ASUS P4P800 series, simply go into the BIOS setup utility. All P4P800 Series PCB and BIOS versions support Hyper Path.

1) Enter BIOS setup utility
2) Select "Advanced" menu
3) Select "Chipset" configuration
4) Enabled Memory Acceleration Mode
5) Your system is now Hyper Path

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I neatly brought that Motherboard, but there was some issues with overclocking so I opted insted for the MSI neo2 FRSI2 (or whatever the damm letters are).

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Not sure what issues your talking about, but for overclocking I have a P4 2.8 clock at 3.36, which doesn’t seem too bad to me.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
How nice of ya, but it finally hit me. ouch

Ok, I yet made another mistake. Your right about the dual channel, because that is what I am seeing, probably as you say I can’t change that no matter what.

What I was looking at was Performance Mode and mixing that up with dual channel. So my performance mode is what I have a hard time getting enabled when the cpu is overclock.

I don’t have enough time to comment now, and gees I been wrong to many times so far. But I am wondering if this performance mode has anything to do with the Hyper Path.