I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter on my
computer which is running Windows XP.

When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by typing in
'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error appears stated below:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop which is newer
than the current computer I am using and also running on Windows XP, yet it
works fine.

If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or better yet, how
to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

Hi Knight,

Have a look at the information here, provided courtesy of Kelly Theriot:

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_m.htm#16bit

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Knight" <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter on my
> computer which is running Windows XP.
>
> When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by typing in
> 'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error appears stated below:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop which is newer
> than the current computer I am using and also running on Windows XP, yet
it
> works fine.
>
> If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or better yet,
how
> to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

Check this thread out
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/413-p1.php

"Knight" <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter on my
> computer which is running Windows XP.
>
> When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by typing in
> 'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error appears stated below:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop which is newer
> than the current computer I am using and also running on Windows XP, yet
> it
> works fine.
>
> If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or better yet,
> how
> to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

In XP, to get a command prompt, you type "cmd" rather than "command". It's a
different command interpreter.

In news:489A3C1B-1B81-4CA3-9D92-6744B4CE1A43@microsoft.com,
Kathea Banshou <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> In XP, to get a command prompt, you type "cmd" rather than
> "command".
> It's a different command interpreter.

No, both command and cmd work. Somewhat differently, but both can
be used. Although cmd is the normal command prompt, command.com
is a 16-bit prompt needed for compatibility with some legacy
applications. Whether the application he mentions below requires
command.com or not, I don't know. but it's certainly possible.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Knight" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE
>> Fighter
>> on my computer which is running Windows XP.
>>
>> When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by
>> typing in 'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error
>> appears stated below:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
>> suitable for
>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
>> 'Close' to
>> terminate the application.
>>
>> I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop
>> which is
>> newer than the current computer I am using and also running on
>> Windows XP, yet it works fine.
>>
>> If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or
>> better
>> yet, how to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:50:35 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:489A3C1B-1B81-4CA3-9D92-6744B4CE1A43@microsoft.com,
>Kathea Banshou <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> In XP, to get a command prompt, you type "cmd" rather than
>> "command".
>> It's a different command interpreter.
>

>No, both command and cmd work. Somewhat differently, but both can
>be used. Although cmd is the normal command prompt, command.com
>is a 16-bit prompt needed for compatibility with some legacy
>applications. Whether the application he mentions below requires
>command.com or not, I don't know. but it's certainly possible.

**** NOTE **** that command.com is NOT "MS-DOS", but only the "command
interpreter" for MS-DOS, which includes both io.sys and msdos.sys
(which are zero-length files in XP.) Not only are they not supplied
with XP in any useful form, they are INCOMPATIBLE with XP, since XP
has its own hardware-addressing sub-systems, brought in from Windows
NT.

When command.com is run under XP, the commands passed to it are
translated into NT commands by the XP hardware sub-system before they
are executed. This is why not all MS-DOS programs are completely
workable under XP, since some MS-DOS commands are un-translatable,
using different argument structures than XP, or calling routines in
the hardware sub-system which do not exist, or which exist in a
different form than in MS-DOS.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1C5755A6-D4EE-48C7-B21F-79948FEFEC8D@microsoft.com,
Knight <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
> on my computer which is running Windows XP.
>
> When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by typing
> in 'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error appears stated
> below:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.
>
> I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop which is
> newer than the current computer I am using and also running on
> Windows XP, yet it works fine.
>
> If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or better
> yet, how to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

All of the answers about the 16 bit error are correct but I'd like to
mention that there's no DOS in XP and only a basic interpreter and no amount
of messing with it will get some older (very older) or poorly coded
applications to run. I suspect that the fix offered will work but I'll offer
you another option as well. It's free and fairly simple but there is a
learning curve.

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

hi i am also havin the same problem i have just new to this page so if any
one has gave you a solution please could you help

"Knight" wrote:

> I am trying to install one of my older games, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter on my
> computer which is running Windows XP.
>
> When either I attempt to install the game or go into MS-DOS by typing in
> 'command' in the Run menu, the same continual error appears stated below:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> I have tried running the same program on my sister's laptop which is newer
> than the current computer I am using and also running on Windows XP, yet it
> works fine.
>
> If anyone has an idea as to why this error is popping up or better yet, how
> to fix it, I would appreciate any information.

Hi Jess,

The simplest method to resolve this common problem is to copy autoexec.nt
from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32 and overwrite the one that is
currently there.

Alternately, you can create a new autoexec.nt file and save it to the
\windows\system32 folder to overwrite the corrupted one. Click start/run and
type notepad, then click ok. Copy/paste the below code into it (instead of
typing it in to prevent errors), then click file/"save as". Navigate to the
C:\Windows\system32 folder, change the "save as file" type to "all types"
and name the file autoexec.nt, then click save (if prompted to overwrite the
existing one, do so).

@echo off
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

Reboot when finished. This usually fixes it, but you will find further steps
here if it doesn't:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

Basically, you will have to expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt,
and config.nt to the system32 folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on
your hard drive. Sometimes, you need to create new ones and overwrite the
existing ones - the method is described in the article.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone