Sound recorder problem

May 31, 2005 3:06:29 PM

I installed a new sound card because my onboard sound chip was poor. The new
card is Audio Extreme 5.1 (two-speaker setup at present) and works fine with
CDs, MP3s, streaming audio etc.

However I can not get Sound Recorder to detect any sound at all. I have
Audacity but that doesn't detect any sound either. I have checked that
nothing is set on 'mute' and that mixer defaults are OK but still nothing.

Could it be that Sound Recorder / Audacity are still 'looking' at the old
sound chip? If so how can I persuade them to see my new card? The old chip
does not appear in the list on Device manager.

John

More about : sound recorder problem

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:06:30 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:06:29 GMT, John Rampling wrote:

> I installed a new sound card because my onboard sound chip was poor. The new
> card is Audio Extreme 5.1 (two-speaker setup at present) and works fine with
> CDs, MP3s, streaming audio etc.
>
> However I can not get Sound Recorder to detect any sound at all. I have
> Audacity but that doesn't detect any sound either. I have checked that
> nothing is set on 'mute' and that mixer defaults are OK but still nothing.
>
> Could it be that Sound Recorder / Audacity are still 'looking' at the old
> sound chip? If so how can I persuade them to see my new card? The old chip
> does not appear in the list on Device manager.
>
> John

What about speaker setup? In Sound and Audio Devices> Speakers, have you
selected the 2 speaker profile?
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

> What about speaker setup? In Sound and Audio Devices> Speakers, have you
> selected the 2 speaker profile?
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User