blocked internet sites

Why is it when I try to go to some web sites they show up in the browser with
an x in them (blocked)?
--
hunt
11 answers Last reply

    Images on the web-page or the page itself?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    hunt wrote:
    > Why is it when I try to go to some web sites they show up in the browser
    > with an x in them (blocked)?

    The page itself.
    --
    hunt

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Images on the web-page or the page itself?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > hunt wrote:
    > > Why is it when I try to go to some web sites they show up in the browser
    > > with an x in them (blocked)?

    I belive those x you see are actually pictures but they are not displayed. It
    could be cause by several factors.

    Is it the web page full of these "x"s or only some?

    "hunt" wrote:

    > The page itself.
    > --
    > hunt
    >

    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > Images on the web-page or the page itself?
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > hunt wrote:
    > > > Why is it when I try to go to some web sites they show up in the browser
    > > > with an x in them (blocked)?

    Actually, there is only one x. The web site I am trying to see is
    www.briggsvacuity.com
    This is a maker of toilets I am trying to buy.
    --
    hunt

    hunt wrote:
    > Actually, there is only one x. The web site I am trying to
    > see is www.briggsvacuity.com
    > This is a maker of toilets I am trying to buy.
    >
    >> I belive those x you see are actually pictures but they are
    >> not displayed. It could be cause by several factors.
    >>
    >> Is it the web page full of these "x"s or only some?
    >>

    >> "hunt" wrote:
    >>
    >>> The page itself.
    >>> --
    >>> hunt

    You may need to install Macromedia's Flash Player to view that
    web site. Go here for installation instructions:

    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIKJ

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Hi,

    You will have to have to have Macromedia Flash installed to view this
    page.
    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

    Or view it this way.
    Briggs - Think Quality. Think Value.
    http://www.briggsplumbing.com/home/

    hunt wrote:
    > Actually, there is only one x. The web site I am trying
    > to see is www.briggsvacuity.com
    > This is a maker of toilets I am trying to buy.
    >
    >> I belive those x you see are actually pictures but they
    >> are not displayed. It could be cause by several factors.
    >>
    >> Is it the web page full of these "x"s or only some?
    >>

    >> "hunt" wrote:
    >>
    >>> The page itself.
    >>> --
    >>> hunt

    > www.briggsvacuity.com

    The above link works fine this end
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Internet explorer version 6

    I would check your browser setting!!

    1. Are you running a third-party pop-up blocker? See if disabling it makes
    any difference.

    2. Do you have SpywareBlaster installed and is Flash Killer checked in Tools
    > Flash Killer? If so, disable it and reboot. Any difference?

    3. If SP2 is installed, see this page regarding ActiveX & Flash:
    http://snipurl.com/favh or
    http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=view&id=KC.tn_19482&extid=tn_19482&dialogID=9492191&iterationID=1&sessionID=9630e742bfe17a6b1911&stateID=0+0+9494067&mode=simple

    Also see:

    Macromedia - Support : Flash Player Support Center:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/

    4. If no joy, do you have this Registry key?...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
    Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

    With this key selected, do you see the following value in right-hand
    pane?...

    "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

    If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now check the page you
    were trying to view. (Source:
    http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19091)

    NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export the key to a safe
    location (e.g., Desktop). In case you make a mistake, simply Import the
    backup to "undo" the change.

    5. If still no joy, do you have this Registry key?...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
    Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540001}

    With this key selected, do you see the following value in right-hand
    pane?...

    "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

    If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now check the page you
    were trying to view.

    NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export the key to a safe
    location (e.g., Desktop). In case you make a mistake, simply Import the
    backup to "undo" the change.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Confession: I, too, have been having the same problem and for quite some
    time now. #5 above was my fix. YMMV.
    --

    hunt wrote:
    > Actually, there is only one x. The web site I am trying to see is
    > www.briggsvacuity.com
    > This is a maker of toilets I am trying to buy.
    >
    > > I belive those x you see are actually pictures but they are not
    > > displayed. It could be cause by several factors.
    > >
    > > Is it the web page full of these "x"s or only some?
    > >
    > > > The page itself.
    > > > --

    Yes, Spywareblaster will add a kill bit (Compatibility
    Flags"=dword:00000400) into the registry key you mention below,
    stopping flash from playing and producing the red X.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Which key, #4 or #5?
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    > Yes, Spywareblaster will add a kill bit (Compatibility
    > Flags"=dword:00000400) into the registry key you mention below,
    > stopping flash from playing and producing the red X.
    >

    > PA Bear wrote:
    > > 1. Are you running a third-party pop-up blocker? See if
    > > disabling it makes any difference.
    > >
    > > 2. Do you have SpywareBlaster installed and is Flash
    > > Killer checked in Tools
    > > > Flash Killer? If so, disable it and reboot. Any
    > > > difference?
    > >
    > > 3. If SP2 is installed, see this page regarding ActiveX &
    > > Flash: http://snipurl.com/favh or
    > > http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=view&id=KC.tn_19482&extid=tn_19482&dialogID=9492191&iterationID=1&sessionID=9630e742bfe17a6b1911&stateID=0+0+9494067&mode=simple
    > >
    > > Also see:
    > >
    > > Macromedia - Support : Flash Player Support Center:
    > > http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/
    > >
    > > 4. If no joy, do you have this Registry key?...
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > > Explorer\ActiveX
    > > Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    > > With this key selected, do you see the following value in
    > > right-hand pane?...
    > >
    > > "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400
    > >
    > > If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now
    > > check the page you were trying to view. (Source:
    > > http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19091)
    > >
    > > NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export
    > > the key to a safe location (e.g., Desktop). In case you
    > > make a mistake, simply Import the backup to "undo" the
    > > change.
    > > 5. If still no joy, do you have this Registry key?...
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > > Explorer\ActiveX
    > > Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540001}
    > > With this key selected, do you see the following value in
    > > right-hand pane?...
    > >
    > > "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400
    > >
    > > If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now
    > > check the page you were trying to view.
    > >
    > > NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export
    > > the key to a safe location (e.g., Desktop). In case you
    > > make a mistake, simply Import the backup to "undo" the
    > > change. ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Confession: I, too, have been having the same problem and
    > > for quite some time now. #5 above was my fix. YMMV.
    > >
    > > hunt wrote:
    > > > Actually, there is only one x. The web site I am trying
    > > > to see is www.briggsvacuity.com
    > > > This is a maker of toilets I am trying to buy.

    Number 4. {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

    --

    PA Bear wrote:
    > Which key, #4 or #5?
    >
    > Bert Kinney wrote:
    >> Yes, Spywareblaster will add a kill bit (Compatibility
    >> Flags"=dword:00000400) into the registry key you mention
    >> below, stopping flash from playing and producing the
    >> red X. PA Bear wrote:
    >>> 1. Are you running a third-party pop-up blocker? See if
    >>> disabling it makes any difference.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Do you have SpywareBlaster installed and is Flash
    >>> Killer checked in Tools
    >>>
    >>> 3. If SP2 is installed, see this page regarding ActiveX
    >>> & Flash: http://snipurl.com/favh or
    >>> http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=view&id=KC.tn_19482&extid=tn_19482&dialogID=9492191&iterationID=1&sessionID=9630e742bfe17a6b1911&stateID=0+0+9494067&mode=simple
    >>>
    >>> Also see:
    >>>
    >>> Macromedia - Support : Flash Player Support Center:
    >>> http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/
    >>>
    >>> 4. If no joy, do you have this Registry key?...
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    >>> Explorer\ActiveX
    >>> Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    >>> With this key selected, do you see the following value
    >>> in right-hand pane?...
    >>>
    >>> "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400
    >>>
    >>> If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now
    >>> check the page you were trying to view. (Source:
    >>> http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19091)
    >>>
    >>> NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export
    >>> the key to a safe location (e.g., Desktop). In case you
    >>> make a mistake, simply Import the backup to "undo" the
    >>> change.
    >>> 5. If still no joy, do you have this Registry key?...
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    >>> Explorer\ActiveX
    >>> Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540001}
    >>> With this key selected, do you see the following value
    >>> in right-hand pane?...
    >>>
    >>> "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400
    >>>
    >>> If so, right-click on the value and select Delete. Now
    >>> check the page you were trying to view.
    >>>
    >>> NB: For Safety's Sake, before deleting the value, Export
    >>> the key to a safe location (e.g., Desktop). In case you
    >>> make a mistake, simply Import the backup to "undo" the
    >>> Confession: I, too, have been having the same problem
    >>> and for quite some time now. #5 above was my fix. YMMV. hunt

Browsers Microsoft Internet Windows XP