Dual booting Ubuntu and Win 7 on SEPERATE HDDs

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hi, a while ago I installed ubuntu AND windows 7 on the same hard drive. Everything worked fine. I had since removed ubuntu completely and replaced the drive with a new drive. On that new drive I only installed Windows 7. I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on a second NEW drive. I installed it correctly. My problem is that it doesnt ask me which OS to boot into when I switch on the computer. If I choose to boot up with the other hdd it loads ubuntu properly as well. How do I get that "grub" thing or whatever it's called to work again?

I did some research and found out that I am supposed to edit something in my Boot.ini file or something, but I am not as good with computers as that. I don't really want to mess around with it without knowing exactly what I'm doing. So can someone please walk me through how to fix this problem? Thank you very much!

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
So let me get my facts straight, First you dual-booted ubuntu/win7 on a single hdd with grub, then you removed ubuntu, and now want to put it on a second drive? If so, installing to a second drive is no big challenge. You could edit the boot file in windows, but I think installing grub would be easier. When you boot ubuntu live and choose to install, be sure to specify which drive you want to install to, and grub should automatically detect the NT bootstrap when it looks for other loaders. After ubuntu is successfully installed, when grub starts you should have the option of booting 7.