Private

I have a laptop and me and my sister uses it she is a admin and so am i
but she keeps on listening to my music and steeling them so im just
wondering if there was any way to keep my music folder locked from my
sis.Can someone help me? :(

--
ken zen
3 answers Last reply

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "ken zen" wrote:

    | I have a laptop and me and my sister uses it she is a admin and so am i
    | but she keeps on listening to my music and steeling them so im just
    | wondering if there was any way to keep my music folder locked from my
    | sis.Can someone help me? :(
    | --
    | ken zen

    In addition to Carey's advice, if you let your sister run as an Administrator, there's nothing to prevent her from taking ownership of any file/folder she wishes to.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "ken zen" <ken.zen.1pykdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:ken.zen.1pykdo@pcbanter.net...

    > I have a laptop and me and my sister uses it she is a admin and so am i
    > but she keeps on listening to my music and steeling them so im just
    > wondering if there was any way to keep my music folder locked from my
    > sis.Can someone help me? :(
    >

    > --
    > ken zen

    "ken zen" <ken.zen.1pykdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have a laptop and me and my sister uses it she is a admin and so am
    > but she keeps on listening to my music and steeling them so im just
    > wondering if there was any way to keep my music folder locked from my
    > sis.Can someone help me? :(

    Any administrator account can take ownership of anyone's files.
    However, that is only ownership. No administrator (in Windows XP) can
    actually read the file if you use EFS (encrypting file system). By
    default, the Administrator (and other admin accounts) are *not* included
    in the EFS certificate that you create under your account unless you add
    them as a recovery agent (in Windows 2000, the Administrator account was
    added by default, but not in Windows XP). So you can fight over who has
    ownership of the file but only you can actually read (i.e., play) them.

    Remember to export your EFS certificate to a floppy or CD and lock it in
    a safe place (so your sister cannot get it). When exporting, you also
    have the option to specify a password, so use a different one that for
    your account login (and one that you won't forget but one your sister
    won't guess). You'll also need this exported copy of the EFS cert if
    you reinstall Windows since you'll need to import that particular cert
    to read the encrypted files that used that cert.

    You will need Windows XP Professional to have it include support for
    EFS. If you have Windows XP Home, you screwed yourself by going cheap
    to get a crippled version of the operating system. In you only have
    Windows XP Home, you could archive the files into a .zip file that is
    password protected but you'll need a 3rd party zip tool that lets you
    password-protect a .zip file. Again, you need to use a password that
    you will remember but your sister cannot guess.

Laptops Music Microsoft Windows XP