Wierd video problem help!

jediryan123

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have been having a weird graphics problem with some of my games. It is hard to describe so I have put the pics below. It only happens with Empire: Total War and the demos for hawx and call of jurez. all on steam. other steam games like tf2 and half life 2 work. any help would be much appreciated. hardware is core i7 920 and ati 4870.

cojbibdemox862009091613.jpg

hawx2009091518341099.jpg

Solution
I'll second the first opinion but first i would ask you if your OCing your GPU. The graphics corruption you are seeing are caused by a limited number of problems. Although it dosent hurt to check and make sure you have the correct video drivers, the four main malfunctions are either the GPU is overclocked beyond its limits,or the GPU fan is clogged with dirt or not turning at all,or your GPU just wont dont render that/those games very well, (I have seen a 7950GX2 that would do the same thing in Quake4 at times) or the most feared... Precursor to the death of the GPU. Good luck

GUIBADCO

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I'll second the first opinion but first i would ask you if your OCing your GPU. The graphics corruption you are seeing are caused by a limited number of problems. Although it dosent hurt to check and make sure you have the correct video drivers, the four main malfunctions are either the GPU is overclocked beyond its limits,or the GPU fan is clogged with dirt or not turning at all,or your GPU just wont dont render that/those games very well, (I have seen a 7950GX2 that would do the same thing in Quake4 at times) or the most feared... Precursor to the death of the GPU. Good luck

Solution