Help me figure out whats toast

shinobi00

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2003
I decided to plug in my floppy drive while the computer was on and it fried my powersupply. I get another powersupply and and turn the computer on. The fan, PCI/AGP cards and the drives turn on, but thats it. no error codes or anything(this is an underpowered powersupply btw). So whats wrong? Maybe just the mobo? If everything else powers on and works. I tried another processor an it did the exact same thing, so I'm thinking it's not the CPU(although the second one I tried could be bad too). Should I try it with a powersupply with alot of wattage? The board was only like 40 dollars but the processor was like 120 so i'm hoping it's the board.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shinobi00 on 07/11/03 05:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
We need to know the details about the computer... PS, CPU, VID card, mobo, ect.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
unhook every thing including memory, floppy, hdd, optical drive cables on the mother board, all pci/agp cards and then the memory. Just reseat the processor once. w/o memory if u get any beeps. it's most likely that mobo is working alright(depending on ur mobo). if no beeps. most likey to be ur mobo.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
go with chandanarahul's advice, but it's probably the mobo

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?