How do I add a password to a hard drive

I would like to have my second hard drive password protected. Is there any
way to do this.

Thanks

guelah75
4 answers Last reply
More about password hard drive

    Download and install TweakUI:

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

    After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    TweakUI. Expand 'My Computer', click on 'Drives', then uncheck the
    drives you wish to hide.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    guelah75 wrote:
    > I would like to have my second hard drive password protected. Is there any
    > way to do this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > guelah75

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm