Robl

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

appologies if this is simply me being thick, but when connecting new/existing
devices to the computer (camera, blank CDs for writing, other usb periferals)
a box use to pop up giving me different options. It no longer does and I
can't seem to find where to turn this function back on.
It's driving me crazy.
thanks

First of all your not 'thick' if the people who develop the OS can't make it
user friendly then thats your problem not yours.

BTW, I don't know how ot solve your problem

RobL wrote:
> appologies if this is simply me being thick, but when
> connecting new/existing devices to the computer (camera,
> blank CDs for writing, other usb periferals) a box use to
> pop up giving me different options. It no longer does and I
> can't seem to find where to turn this function back on.
> It's driving me crazy.
> thanks

You can adjust this manually. Open My Computer and right click
the icon for the drive you want to configure. Select Properties
from the drop down menu. Click on the Autoplay tab. You can
select the default action or choose "Prompt me each time to
choose an action".

Take a look here for more info:

http://support.its.ied.edu.hk/stffaq/5.35.html
http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA20000846.htm

Also, you might want to take a look here:

Click on "Why doesn't AutoPlay work?".

I use TweakUI to adjust Autoplay. It's available here:

Once installed, you can access the program from the Start Menu
in the Powertoys for Windows XP folder.
Run the program and click on the + sign next to My Computer.
Click on the + sign next to Autoplay.
Click on Types.
Make sure there's a check mark in both of the boxes listed for
Autoplay Drive Types.
Next, click on Drives and make sure there's a check mark next
to all the drives you want to use Autoplay.

Good luck

Nepatsfan