Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Laptops
  • Gaming
  • Desktops
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 17, 2009 4:06:23 AM

what is the best gaming laptop around today for a hardcore gamer like me? im still thinking which is the best to buy, is it laptop or desktop?

More about : laptop gaming september 2009

September 17, 2009 8:27:19 AM

"gaming laptop" is a myth. u are just trowing your money away.
Score
September 17, 2009 10:17:56 AM

Ha

You obviously have not seen a Dell XPS M1730 with dual 9800 GTX graphics cards or the new alien ware laptop with dual Gforce 280's My 1730 will play any game on the market,its got blu ray recorder and 6 gigs of ram 2 256gig solid state drives and I bet will beat the pants off most desktops (not my core i7 desktop!) :kaola: 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

September 17, 2009 11:31:01 AM

blazer666_uk said:
Ha

You obviously have not seen a Dell XPS M1730 with dual 9800 GTX graphics cards or the new alien ware laptop with dual Gforce 280's My 1730 will play any game on the market,its got blu ray recorder and 6 gigs of ram 2 256gig solid state drives and I bet will beat the pants off most desktops (not my core i7 desktop!) :kaola: 

and how much do they cost? i guess for the same money u can buy 2 or 3 systems like your i7 desktop, right?

the purpose of laptop is not gaming.
September 22, 2009 4:25:41 PM

I agree with jimishtar, I have a Dell XPS 1530 with a 280 and IMO the laptop just can't give me what I need as far as gaming goes....... Yea you can play Crysis with some decent frames but a Laptop in my book is really not for gaming.... maybe for on the go gaming, airport, in class, etc... but at home, if you have a desktop there is no point...

I use my laptop to view blue ray movies on the-go, at friends house, presentations, etc... If I want game I use my desktop....

For the price of a gaming laptop you can build an amazing machine....
Score
September 22, 2009 6:37:15 PM

You can just play light games on you laptop
Score
September 24, 2009 7:51:27 AM

If you focus on the tag line "best gaming" laptop you could be duped by some brand manufacturers.... do your own research about the game requirements of top level games and make your list.... from there see reviews of each to decide if they suits up your preferences.

I saw an example of such "overly" advertised laptop (ever heard of MAINGEAR) it is almost a 3000 USD laptop but instead of that you could purchase Alienware by Dell. BUt to tell you honestly, you can still find the best gaming laptop on your own. It isn't the "best laptop" but the "best gamer" that matters anyway.
Score
September 27, 2009 2:21:08 AM

Well the reason i am looking for "the best gaming laptop" is because i deploy next year and can't take a full desk top. so i for me a gaming laptop is all i can have. granted yes a desk top will beat out any laptop for power and price. but for some you need to take what you can get
Score
September 30, 2009 1:52:06 PM

Gaming Laptop is a relative term. If you have the room, a desktop is MUCH better for gaming than a laptop. Yes there are desktop replacement laptops out there and yes the price tag is steep. For someone in my case, My husband is a contractor and we are constantly moving from one place to another and we live in an rv so the laptop is better. We tried desktops and they space they occupy is just too valuable. So the alienware m17x laptop is best suited to my needs. Also I like being able to go and play in bed if I want too. =)
Score
September 30, 2009 4:23:18 PM

screw the xps m1730 the asus w90 packs a 4870x2
Score
October 1, 2009 4:09:09 PM

ha ha!! I think he was talking about the specs for the price. If not I agree with you. There are a lot better gaming laptops out there. Laptops now come with the i7 core and dual video cards for whatever your fancy may be radeon or nvidia and your budget. They can run up to and over 6k for a gaming laptop.
Score
October 1, 2009 4:09:26 PM

BTW to whom is deploying and started the thread, everyone has different wants in there laptop some like to have a fast processor and only one graphics card or they DL a lot of movies and there fore need more hard drive space. The best way to find the best gaming laptop for you is do the research. If you are looking for gaming I wouldn't go below a intel 9000 series processor or it's equivalent, (this includes duo and quad core) no less then 4gigs ram, at least 6 would be preferred, and nothing below a 260gtx nvidia graphics card or it's equivalent. Depending on what your playing would depend on how powerful it would need it be. Alienware has extremely nice gaming laptops but unless you want to pay for name brand you should look elsewhere.
Score
October 12, 2009 7:54:21 AM

krysyf20 said:
BTW to whom is deploying and started the thread, everyone has different wants in there laptop some like to have a fast processor and only one graphics card or they DL a lot of movies and there fore need more hard drive space. The best way to find the best gaming laptop for you is do the research. If you are looking for gaming I wouldn't go below a intel 9000 series processor or it's equivalent, (this includes duo and quad core) no less then 4gigs ram, at least 6 would be preferred, and nothing below a 260gtx nvidia graphics card or it's equivalent. Depending on what your playing would depend on how powerful it would need it be. Alienware has extremely nice gaming laptops but unless you want to pay for name brand you should look elsewhere.

I agree, well you can't really tell the BEST gaming laptop for you unless YOU are the one who's going to use it. Manufacturers have pretty exploited this term for their own advantage. As a user if you're satisfied with it, then it should be the best laptop in the world.

Score
November 28, 2009 4:04:41 PM

How typical. All these responses and only one even attempts to answer his question.

You say do research, who do you think we found this thread? Opinions on good gaming laptops or cards for laptops will help in that research. Opinions talking about how good desktops are irrelevant.

I too want to get a laptop with at least a good card and memory for gaming. I don't give a rat's ascot for all the holier than thou responses about desktops being better.

Of course desktops are better. We wouldn't be looking for a laptop if we could use a desktop where we need the laptop.

For me, I have a great custom desktop. But I want to be able to play Lord of the Rings Online with as high a graphics setting as possible and the new Call of Duty games in multiplayer, while being on a laptop when I have to be away from my desktop.

But I want to keep it down to $1,000 if possible.

As to the one deploying, I hope your deployment goes as good as possible and that you come back safe, sound, older and wiser for the experience!

Score
November 29, 2009 6:31:27 PM

1. Not to be rude but if you read my second post, I did answer his question. So before you go off being all rude saying typical no one answered his question you might want to read all the way down.

2. They mean do your reason on how a computer works, what would be better splurge on, a processor or the graphics card and how much of a role does memory play in how fast it will go. Not just Google 'best gaming computer'

3. I would say the lowest price point for what you are looking for would be around 1500. As per the 1000 dollars hope you didn't miss black friday. =)
Score
November 29, 2009 9:11:47 PM

dead thread guys....
Score
November 30, 2009 2:13:30 AM

I thinks that desktops are better because the pack much more less heat than laptops, they get hot in like about 30mins of gameplay, while it takes hours for desktops.
Score
December 27, 2009 7:53:48 PM

Take a look at the comments here too for a 'budget' one.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/26/ask-engadget-best-ga...

Or look at the rest of the sager forum at.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1017

To me the Sager seems like a good buy even though that the review i linked was for an older model. I'll blame it on trusting my search words to much '2009' it fools you at times. But I've seen some different reviews on theirs laptops and all were good. Otherwise build something on Dell. Although the quality may vary there, mine has worked but one never know.

Or an Asus maybe?
Score
December 28, 2009 6:16:42 AM

rlnvillamor said:
what is the best gaming laptop around today for a hardcore gamer like me? im still thinking which is the best to buy, is it laptop or desktop?

ASUS G51

There's a version that is 3D, pricey, though

=DD
Score
February 6, 2010 2:41:14 PM

I just got my Alienware M17x for just over 4k. Although i havent had it for very long, i must admit its more then i expected for in a desktop replacement laptop. Nothing i have ever owned comes close.

1 317-3659 Intel Core i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
1 317-3665 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
1 320-8856 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
1 320-8858 Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX
1 342-0668 500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
1 342-0824 500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
1 430-0628 Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
1 330-5090 Thank You for Purchasing AlienWare

Anyone who has the extra $. Go for the Alienware M17x. Hell even if you dont have 4k to drop on your laptop, you can always customize it down alittle to fit you pocketbook.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 7, 2010 4:32:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 7, 2010 4:32:33 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
!