a new virus maybe

I've been fighting with HP for a week now. Installed the CD for their
all-in-one printer, and now every time it fires up, it says 'please wait
while windows configures photogallery'. With version 3.5 it was the same
message except for an earlier version name for the same program..

I finally got it installed so it only asked when shutting it down instead of
when the machine booted, and before and after the program ran.

Now I'm not so sure it isn't a problem with the HP software, as it attempted
the same message on a program that's maybe 6 years old and has NEVER
attempted to configure itself.. The software itself is even out of business.
And it's attempting to install itself right now from the same disk #1. a non
existent disk.

I've scanned for virus. And this other than extremely annoying makes no
sense why they would attempt to install themselves from a non-existent
drive.
Or why they would even attempt to configure themselves at all.

Just mentioning this cause I have no idea who might know what this is.

I've had to reinstall the OS twice since the Trend pccillin update that locked
everyone.

Also picked up some java Trojans. Found they'd modified the popup security
section to allow popup's for their Trojans.

Is anyone else getting prompted to configure stagnant or active software on a
regular basis now ?
This second one actually runs itself with no input from me.