Bad -12V Line on Power Supply?

mtl777

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
I'm using an Antec SL300 power supply for my PC. Checking the voltage of the outputs with a digital multimeter while the system was running (full load with all peripherals connected), I got the following readings:

+3.3V ----------- +3.34V
+5V ------------- +5.05V
-5V ------------- -5.07V
+12V ------------ +12.39V
-12V ------------ -12.88V ***

The voltages are fine except for the -12.88V. Antec specifies that the acceptable range for this is -11.4V to -12.6V. The reading is 0.28V beyond the allowable maximum. My questions are:

1. What exactly is the function of the -12V line?

2. What kind of damage would an out-of-spec -12V line create?

3. Is the excess of 0.28V really something to worry about?

So far my system runs fine without symptoms of any problems caused by a faulty power supply. I'm just afraid that this deviation from normal will slowly erode the reliability of the system and someday take its toll to surprise me with an irrecoverable damage to my motherboard, hard drive or other component.

Thanks in advance for any help or info you could share.

--Michael

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
don't worry man...i don't think negitive 12v is even used anymore...or not much at least...old mobos used it but i don't think you should worry.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

endyen

Splendid
What make and model of DMM are you using, and on what setting. Unless you have had it calibrated very recently you could be reading high by as much as 5 % especially if you are using a high scale.

mtl777

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
Thanks everyone! It's good to know there's nothing to worry about. Now I can breath a sigh of relief!

--Michael