jay

MSCONFIG and TASK MANAGER, I can't keep these open long enough to make
changes, unless I go to the safe mode, why? They will open but close in a
flash by themselves while my PC is running normally.

I seemed to cleared all my viruses, spyware and adware with the help of
msconfig & task manager, but with my Wimdows XP machine I have to be in safe
mode. Not so with my Windows ME machine.

Jay wrote:
> MSCONFIG and TASK MANAGER, I can't keep these open long enough to make
> changes, unless I go to the safe mode, why? They will open but close in a
> flash by themselves while my PC is running normally.
>
> I seemed to cleared all my viruses, spyware and adware with the help of
> msconfig & task manager, but with my Wimdows XP machine I have to be in safe
> mode. Not so with my Windows ME machine.

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

Computer Associates:

DialogueScience:
http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

F-Secure:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

BitDefender
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Freedom Online scanner
http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

jay

Thanks, the PC was infected and I installed new antivirus software for
computer associates. I believe all viruses are gone but the damage is already
done I assume.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Jay wrote:
> > MSCONFIG and TASK MANAGER, I can't keep these open long enough to make
> > changes, unless I go to the safe mode, why? They will open but close in a
> > flash by themselves while my PC is running normally.
> >
> > I seemed to cleared all my viruses, spyware and adware with the help of
> > msconfig & task manager, but with my Wimdows XP machine I have to be in safe
> > mode. Not so with my Windows ME machine.
>

> The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
> one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:
>
> W32.Klez
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html
>
> W32.Yaha
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html
>
> W32.Spybot.Worm
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html
>
> Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
> mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
> aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
> scanners to double-check your system.
>
> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> McAfee Security - FreeScan
> http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
>
> Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> Computer Associates:
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
>
> DialogueScience:
> http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/
>
> F-Secure:
> http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
>
> BitDefender
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php
>
> Freedom Online scanner
> http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Enable or Disable Task Manager for the Current User
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/uti­ls/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_t.htm and scroll down
to the topic titled "Task Manager - Control/Alt/Delete - Doesn't Work"

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

Create usable copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manger:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/uti­ls/xp_emerutils.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch