Trixie

On my last virus scan which I did through Norton,Spyware Stormer it showed
that I had 369 infections all at extreme and high risk. The infections are
adware,hijacker,nepta,search centrix,wild tangent(tangent is my games file
that was already in my computer when I bought it),ezula. They are showing up
as being in c:\programme files, c:\ windows. It shows a symbol then say
HKey_class,HKey_current,HKey_local I am not sure how to delete these files
safely without doing any damage to my pc, can anyone help me please.

thanks Trixie.

Hi Trixie,

This is probably related to your other post about unwanted popups. Let's
concentrate on getting the machine cleaned up. First, download some of these
free cleaners. Do not run them yet.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

Then download and install these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

Open them and update them, but do not run any scans. When completed, restart
the system and go to Safe mode.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

Now run the virus cleaners one at a time. Then run the spyware applications.
It may take some time, but patience will be rewarding if all goes well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"trixie" <trixie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my last virus scan which I did through Norton,Spyware Stormer it showed
> that I had 369 infections all at extreme and high risk. The infections
> are
> adware,hijacker,nepta,search centrix,wild tangent(tangent is my games file
> that was already in my computer when I bought it),ezula. They are showing
> up
> as being in c:\programme files, c:\ windows. It shows a symbol then say
> HKey_class,HKey_current,HKey_local I am not sure how to delete these files
> safely without doing any damage to my pc, can anyone help me please.
>
> thanks Trixie.

kelly

If you have 369 infections, I'd say back up your data and format then clean
install. Good lord those things can be anywhere and everywhere and by the
time you get rid of most of them you'll likely have less than desirable
performance.

In news:B2012F6B-3B9E-4A04-8BCE-C77DBA94A7D6@microsoft.com,
Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> If you have 369 infections, I'd say back up your data and
> format then
> clean install. Good lord those things can be anywhere and
> everywhere
> and by the time you get rid of most of them you'll likely have
> less
> than desirable performance.

I am hardly ever in favor of reformatting and reinstalling, but
with a system this badly screwed up, I agree with you.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "trixie" wrote:
>
>> On my last virus scan which I did through Norton,Spyware
>> Stormer it
>> showed that I had 369 infections all at extreme and high
>> risk. The
>> infections are adware,hijacker,nepta,search centrix,wild
>> tangent(tangent is my games file that was already in my
>> computer
>> when I bought it),ezula. They are showing up as being in
>> c:\programme files, c:\ windows. It shows a symbol then say
>> HKey_class,HKey_current,HKey_local I am not sure how to delete
>> these
>> files safely without doing any damage to my pc, can anyone
>> help me
>> please.
>>
>> thanks Trixie.

Sometimes, it's a time save to just bite the bullet and do it that way. Much
depends on how much time the user has put into her/his personal
configuration and how much recovery time will be required.

--

> In news:B2012F6B-3B9E-4A04-8BCE-C77DBA94A7D6@microsoft.com,
> Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> If you have 369 infections, I'd say back up your data and format then
>> clean install. Good lord those things can be anywhere and everywhere
>> and by the time you get rid of most of them you'll likely have less
>> than desirable performance.
>

> I am hardly ever in favor of reformatting and reinstalling, but with a
> system this badly screwed up, I agree with you.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "trixie" wrote:
>>
>>> On my last virus scan which I did through Norton,Spyware Stormer it
>>> showed that I had 369 infections all at extreme and high risk. The
>>> infections are adware,hijacker,nepta,search centrix,wild
>>> tangent(tangent is my games file that was already in my computer
>>> when I bought it),ezula. They are showing up as being in
>>> c:\programme files, c:\ windows. It shows a symbol then say
>>> HKey_class,HKey_current,HKey_local I am not sure how to delete these
>>> files safely without doing any damage to my pc, can anyone help me
>>> please.
>>>
>>> thanks Trixie.

Trixie

hi there, thankyou all for your ideas, I did what you said Rick in your first
reply to my problem, I downloaded some cleaners then did the adaware and
spybot, it took a while but i think I have cleaned most of it up, the only
thing I have noticed is I am still getting popups for registry cleaner and
spyware stormer, why would they still be coming through?
thanx trixie.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Sometimes, it's a time save to just bite the bullet and do it that way. Much
> depends on how much time the user has put into her/his personal
> configuration and how much recovery time will be required.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> > In news:B2012F6B-3B9E-4A04-8BCE-C77DBA94A7D6@microsoft.com,
> > Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> >
> >> If you have 369 infections, I'd say back up your data and format then
> >> clean install. Good lord those things can be anywhere and everywhere
> >> and by the time you get rid of most of them you'll likely have less
> >> than desirable performance.
> >

> > I am hardly ever in favor of reformatting and reinstalling, but with a
> > system this badly screwed up, I agree with you.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi Trixie,

Just means you aren't quite 100% clean. If you want, go to this link and
download HiJackThis, then run it:

Then send the log to me at the address used here (do not post the log to
this forum).