mno

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
Hi all,

Please note: I've edited the list of motherboards and memory manufacturers after doing some more more reasearch.

I'm looking to build my own computer in the next few months. At this point, I'm researching the hardware specs to find what will work best together. At this point, I have a few questions.

First of all, I'm looking to buy a mboard with the Intel 875 Chipset. At this point, I have the following mboards in mind:

- Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (maybe GA-8KNXP Ultra) (most likely to buy)
- MSI 875P Neo (MS-6758)
- Asus P4C800 or P4C800-E
- Intel D875PBZ (least likely to buy)

I'm leaning towards the Intel mboard at this time, but I've not made a final decision. Can someone recommend which one is better (even one that I haven't listed above) that would work best with a Pentium 4 2.8 - 3.2 Ghz processor @ 800Mhz with HyperThreading? Is there any point to buy the 3.0 over the 2.8 Ghz? From what I've seen, the 3.0 Ghz provides significant speed improvements in several areas. Is it worth the extra $100?

Secondly, can anyone recommend any memory that would work best with this setup? I'd prefer 400Mhz DDRRAM, but I've seen that some companies, such as Corsair, are offering 467Mhz memory. Will a faster memory work? Are there certain manufacturers that are better than others? I've heard of the following companies that make good memory:

- Corsair (most likely)
- Kingston
- Crucial (least likely)

Any recommendations?

The system will be used for gaming and certain server tasks. I'll be installing some server and database software for development at home. Namely, I'll most like have IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic running, as well as IBM DB2 and Oracle.

Thanks,
mno

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mno on 07/12/03 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably go with the GA-8KNXP from only those choices.

You could try overclocking the 2.8GHz to 3.0GHz and save th extra money. Actually I expect the 2.8GHz to overclock to at least 3.4GHz, but you can probably get at least to 3.0GHz with stock voltage and cooling.

Faster memory (PC3500, 3700) tends to be rated at slower timings, and not overclock to faster timings when slowed down to PC3200 speeds, according to some reviews I've read.

You can run any of those brands. The only memory I know of to work at the fastest Cas Latency (from reading review sites) is from Corsair. Anandtech did a memory comparison on several 865 and 875 chipset boards you might want to look at.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
The next few months is a long time in the computer hardware world. If you're really not planning anything for awhile I would just watch the prices on the items you "might" consider.

Make a list of the items you're considering and a list of potential items. After that, just keep reading and modifying your list and you're price watch.

Hmm, I wonder if there are any web sites out there watching price trends in hardware?

The loving are the daring!

mno

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
Hi,

Thanks for your hint. I've been watching the prices for all these items for some time now. I've heard that Intel is expected to release the next chip - most likely the Pentium 5 - sometime in later September or October, so they will most likely reduce prices for their processors and maybe even chipsets - I expect a new chipset for P5.

mno

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
If I understand you correctly, I can buy a faster rated memory - say PC3500 - and reduce it's speed to work at PC3200? From what I've read before, that would allow me to set up max settings in the BIOS and still get a very stable system. Am I right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Usually, but this doesn't seem to be the case lately. For example, your PC3500 might be rated at 4-4-4-8! Underclocking it to PC3200 speed, you might only manage 3-3-3-8, or even 3-4-3-8!.

That's probably because the difference in rated speed is relatively small, 16MHz to be exact. In order to "save" 1 cycle of latency from the stock 4, you might have to reduce the memory speed by 25%, which is 50MHz!

mno

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by 4-4-4-8. Can you please explain what this rating means or give me a link where I can get more information?

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at the first post in the memory forum titled "Memory FAQ for information on Cas Latency. Cas2 is very fast, Cas4 is very slow, it's the measure of clock cycles it takes your memory to initiate transfer (more info in the FAQ).

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just finished installing my P4C800-E with a P4 3Ghz CPU. I'm using the corsair 500Mhz TWINX (two 512GB modules) in dual DDR mode. I've got the CPU running at 3.6 Ghz without any problems (using a Koolance water cooled setup).

I can't comment on any other items you listed. But I too have had some problems with Crucial memory. For what it is worth the Corsair TWINX 500Mhz memory has been tested with the ASUS P4C800-E.