Sign in with
Your question

Flight simulator X instrument rating checkride question.

Last response: in Video Games
September 18, 2009 3:30:50 AM

I am attempting to pass the insturment rating checkride in flight simulator X. After doing a missed approach and passing "PARK" the examiner tells me to turn left to a heading of 160 degrees and fly "direct" to KSEA, seattle and hold on the 140 degree radial. Where I get confused because I don't know if the examiner means to fly "directly" to seattle or fly past seattle outbount and turn and fly inbound from there "directly" into seattle. And I am not sure of what is the difference between a "radial" and a "heading"??? I have been attempting this checkride many times, and have headed in many directions and I have failed every time...what am I missing?????? It would be greatly appreciated if you could clear this up for me. Also; when do I set my OBS-1, is it when I turn 160 degrees after PARK? Do I have to make any setting changes to the NAV-1 radio frequency. I have first set the NAV-1 radio frequency to 116.800, and the OBS-1 dial to 340 when I first captured the 338 course back at "FACTS".

Thanks, Mike

More about : flight simulator instrument rating checkride question

September 20, 2009 2:01:02 PM

There is a key difference between a heading and a radial.

A heading is exactly what you think it is but you can be on a heading and be well off course. For example if flying from NY to CA with course 270 you would think that you would get there but if there is southerly wind you will likely end up in TX.
You compass will still read 270 because that is the direction the aircraft is flying.

A radial is a heading TO or From a fixed point. Usually the VOR station.
Think of a bicyclye rim and its spokes.
The VOR station is the bolt in the center and each spoke is a radial to or from that point. Even if there is a cross wind you will still be heading to that exact point.

One thing to remember about this is that (If I remember correctly) the sectional charts will show that the VOR signal is based on magnetic north and not true north.
So you may see a difference of up to 6 or 7 degrees on the 2 gauges.

I cant say for certain which frequency you will need as I dont have a chart in front of me to look at but you will need to dial up the KSEA frequency in order to intercept the radial.

Im not sure if you have seen these I would think you have if you are doing this but if you open up windows explorer and navigate to to the FSX files you will see a "charts" folder that contains the sectional charts that you will need to reference and get freqs. while you are doing this.

Im a little short on time right now but I will try to get back to this and open the charts and see if I can give some more specific answers about the freqs. and such.

Also here is a couple of links to better forums that deal specifically with FSX and could prolly give better answers.
They are in no particular order:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?...

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/index.php

http://www.flightsim.com/

m
l
!