Lost programme after spyware removal

June 5, 2005 9:02:03 AM

Hello,
My problem is that I ran several of my Spyware removal applications
yesterday, plus I did a scan through Tiscali's Broadband help pages (which
seemed to find something none of my other removers had found) and now I
cannot get into ciao.co.uk, my regular opinion site. I know that the file
"FunWebproducts" needs to be enabled and I have unchecked this in all my
spyware removers.
I tried system restore as far back as it will allow me to go yesterday
before any of my removal actions, but this hasn't helped.........strangely
enough, the restore points are still available?

Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:41:52 AM

http://www.ciao.co.uk/ opens up for me and I do not have any spyware, i.e.
FunWebproducts.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:220D21A2-E703-4E9C-822E-1C74F7C3435A@microsoft.com,
sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
> My problem is that I ran several of my Spyware removal applications
> yesterday, plus I did a scan through Tiscali's Broadband help pages (which
> seemed to find something none of my other removers had found) and now I
> cannot get into ciao.co.uk, my regular opinion site. I know that the file
> "FunWebproducts" needs to be enabled and I have unchecked this in all my
> spyware removers.
> I tried system restore as far back as it will allow me to go yesterday
> before any of my removal actions, but this hasn't helped.........strangely
> enough, the restore points are still available?
>
> Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:41:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have discovered that I have no problems when I turn
off Spyware Doctor and also that I have to turn it off to reply in this
newsgroup otherwise I get a MS page stating, "we're sorry but we are unable
to service your request....." when I click on "reply" or any other function
button. The last update obviously loaded it's database with some powerful
blockers!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> http://www.ciao.co.uk/ opens up for me and I do not have any spyware, i.e.
> FunWebproducts.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:220D21A2-E703-4E9C-822E-1C74F7C3435A@microsoft.com,
> sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello,
> > My problem is that I ran several of my Spyware removal applications
> > yesterday, plus I did a scan through Tiscali's Broadband help pages (which
> > seemed to find something none of my other removers had found) and now I
> > cannot get into ciao.co.uk, my regular opinion site. I know that the file
> > "FunWebproducts" needs to be enabled and I have unchecked this in all my
> > spyware removers.
> > I tried system restore as far back as it will allow me to go yesterday
> > before any of my removal actions, but this hasn't helped.........strangely
> > enough, the restore points are still available?
> >
> > Any ideas?

June 5, 2005 1:18:21 PM

These are from two of the three cookies that were BLOCKED when I access

http://www.ciao.co.uk/

Privacy Policy
http://www.utarget.co.uk/w3c/privacy.htm

Privacy Statement
http://www.omniture.com/policy.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B530B218-0BA2-47E4-A0A2-FD35039F10AF@microsoft.com,
sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the reply. I have discovered that I have no problems when I
> turn off Spyware Doctor and also that I have to turn it off to reply in
> this newsgroup otherwise I get a MS page stating, "we're sorry but we are
> unable to service your request....." when I click on "reply" or any other
> function button. The last update obviously loaded it's database with some
> powerful blockers!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> http://www.ciao.co.uk/ opens up for me and I do not have any spyware,
>> i.e. FunWebproducts.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:220D21A2-E703-4E9C-822E-1C74F7C3435A@microsoft.com,
>> sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello,
>>> My problem is that I ran several of my Spyware removal applications
>>> yesterday, plus I did a scan through Tiscali's Broadband help pages
>>> (which seemed to find something none of my other removers had found)
>>> and now I cannot get into ciao.co.uk, my regular opinion site. I know
>>> that the file "FunWebproducts" needs to be enabled and I have unchecked
>>> this in all my spyware removers.
>>> I tried system restore as far back as it will allow me to go yesterday
>>> before any of my removal actions, but this hasn't
>>> helped.........strangely enough, the restore points are still available?
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:52:11 PM

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the significance of these blocked
cookies. caio is based in Germany and is a consumer site which is also a
community. It pays (very little) for reviews and also conducts paid surveys.
It has sites in many countries. I have been using it for many years and have
never had any problems, also my adware/spyware remover (including Spybot)
rarely finds anything amiss. I have, by the way,removed "FunWebproducts"
without it affecting ciao so I was mistaken there.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> These are from two of the three cookies that were BLOCKED when I access
>
> http://www.ciao.co.uk/
>
> Privacy Policy
> http://www.utarget.co.uk/w3c/privacy.htm
>
> Privacy Statement
> http://www.omniture.com/policy.html
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B530B218-0BA2-47E4-A0A2-FD35039F10AF@microsoft.com,
> sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks for the reply. I have discovered that I have no problems when I
> > turn off Spyware Doctor and also that I have to turn it off to reply in
> > this newsgroup otherwise I get a MS page stating, "we're sorry but we are
> > unable to service your request....." when I click on "reply" or any other
> > function button. The last update obviously loaded it's database with some
> > powerful blockers!
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.ciao.co.uk/ opens up for me and I do not have any spyware,
> >> i.e. FunWebproducts.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:220D21A2-E703-4E9C-822E-1C74F7C3435A@microsoft.com,
> >> sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:14:11 PM

I just went there also. No problem.

I don't understand though why anyone would want to visit a web site that
does NOT have it's privacy policy displayed prominently on the main page!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> http://www.ciao.co.uk/ opens up for me and I do not have any spyware, i.e.
> FunWebproducts.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:220D21A2-E703-4E9C-822E-1C74F7C3435A@microsoft.com,
> sylviesinc <sylviesinc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hello,
>> My problem is that I ran several of my Spyware removal applications
>> yesterday, plus I did a scan through Tiscali's Broadband help pages
>> (which
>> seemed to find something none of my other removers had found) and now I
>> cannot get into ciao.co.uk, my regular opinion site. I know that the file
>> "FunWebproducts" needs to be enabled and I have unchecked this in all my
>> spyware removers.
>> I tried system restore as far back as it will allow me to go yesterday
>> before any of my removal actions, but this hasn't
>> helped.........strangely
>> enough, the restore points are still available?
>>
>> Any ideas?

June 5, 2005 8:14:51 PM

Then obviously there must be some configuration options you need to amend.
Personally I stick with Adaware and Spybot, plus of course a decent firewall
and AV

!