Power Options and Screensaver

I have a new notebook running Windows XP Pro. I have 2 admistrator users on
my system.

After having the computer on (plugged into the wall) for several hours,
sometimes it never goes into screensaver mode. Sometimes it goes into
screensaver and never goes into standby. Sometimes it says "This computer is
in use is in use and is locked" and asks for a password ( I have not set up
user passwords) and when I click OK it says "Insufficient systen resources
to complete the requested service" and freezes.

I cannot easily make it happen because it takes several hours before it
fails.

Can anyone tell me what to do?
--
C and A Bredt
2 answers Last reply

    Please remember some Spy Ware and Ad Aware will load and run in a normal
    bootup and you may have to reboot into Safe Mode to run your Spy-Ware and
    Ad-Aware to remove them and clean your applications and programs.

    Folks who use AOL have a different browswer than everyone else, but they can
    use Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) also.

    If they use AOL the right click on photos or links may not work like IE.
    Usually IE is in the Programs and you may want to test it.

    With IE when the mouse pointer changes to a hand you can click the link or
    photo to bring you to another link or page.

    If your PC is slowing or hanging up, you may want to run the REAL Spybot &
    Ad-Aware where they are at PC Magazine and also here;

    http://download.com

    download.com has free downloads (DL) for Spyware and Ad-aware.

    Search for and DL at www.download.com to use Spy Bot Search & Destroy.

    Search for and DL at www.download.com to use Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

    Search for and DL at www.download.com to use The Google Toolbar which stops
    Pop-Ups.

    Search for and DL at www.download.com to use AVG Anti-Virus if you are not
    using McAfee or Norton Anti-Virus.

    There are many temp files that increase everytime you use your PC. Have you
    deleted the temp files in C:\Windows\Temp\

    Or, if you use XP the temp files are under your %user name% similar to;

    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp

    You will find much more info at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx
    =======================================
    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in New Orleans @ 314.479.8201
    LsuEdu @ msn.com :: http://digital-mall-online.com
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:04:10 GMT, Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:

    > I have a new notebook running Windows XP Pro. I have 2 admistrator users on
    > my system.
    >
    > After having the computer on (plugged into the wall) for several hours,
    > sometimes it never goes into screensaver mode. Sometimes it goes into
    > screensaver and never goes into standby. Sometimes it says "This computer is
    > in use is in use and is locked" and asks for a password ( I have not set up
    > user passwords) and when I click OK it says "Insufficient systen resources
    > to complete the requested service" and freezes.
    >
    > I cannot easily make it happen because it takes several hours before it
    > fails.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what to do?

    I like using passwords on laptops and other portable systems. They are
    already more accessible to unwanted users so why not give them and your
    data this little bit of protection?

    For the Lock message, go to the Screensaver page in Display Properties and
    uncheck the box requiring a password on resume. There is a similar setting
    for a password requirement in Power options. Personally, I leave this one
    in place but disable the requirement for screensavers.

    For the problem of the system not being reliable in using screensavers and
    standby, the system is not registering as idle so that these things can
    occur. Many possible causes but two very common ones are a running program
    that is too aggressive (busy) or one of the drivers is not completely
    compatible with standby. Since a driver or program update may be necessary
    to fix, would suggest working with tech support for the laptop to determine
    the cause.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User