MSI 865PE Neo2 or MSI 875 Neo-LSR or FIS2R

nuttybing

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Hi,
Need some help on information on these 2 boards. I saw reviews of each but i still cant make up my mind. Both of their specs are very close to each other. $ is also not the issue here, thanks alot.

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Aside from the chipsets and slight performance differences, the Neo 875 FIS2R and the Neo 2 865PE FIS2R are basically identical. However only the Neo 2 865PE has the Dynamic Overclocking Technology feature. It is not available with the Neo 875. Whether or not it ever will be is unclear.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

nuttybing

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Hmm... Does the Dynamic Overclocking Technology feature gives the 865PE Neo2 an edge over the 875P Neo-FIS2R? I've heard from my local vendor that the 865 is actually an upgrade from the 845 versions, is that true?

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
There is a difference of opinion regarding DOT. If it is enabled, sure, it gives the 865PE an edge over the 875, because it is being overclocked. However, if you compare apples to apples and overclock the 875 as well, the 875 may be faster, who knows.

However the real appeal to Dynamic Overclocking Technology is the "Dynamic" part. The DOT-enabled board runs at a normal, non-overclocked speed, <i>until</i> the CPU starts to see high utilization, at which point the DOT kicks in and speeds up the CPU and FSB. This means you can have overclocked performance when you need it, without running at the higher speeds/temps full time.

My own personal opinion is that DOT is brilliant. I would go for the 865PE. If you should agree, bear in mind that ONLY the Neo 2-FIS2R has DOT at this point. The other variants of the Neo 2 (S and LS) do not. MSI has stated that it may add the DOT capability to other boards later on, but right now, the Neo 2-FIS2R is the only board with this feature.

As for the 865 being an upgrade from the 845... what the hell does that mean anyway? Does he think they just took an 845 board and stuck an 865 chip on it or something? Anyways the boards are not even similar... this guy is talking out his bunghole, if you ask me.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML