My Docs Folder

I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a different
partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
(Simpler finding and management..)

The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
stored....?

In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true document
files...

I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall windows
once every 8 or 9 months...

Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....

Regards
7 answers Last reply
More about docs folder

    Hi David,

    No files or folder will be changed, just the target.
    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    David wrote:
    > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I
    > understand that if I point the My Docs directory to my
    > ACTUAL directory, which is on a different partition, then
    > I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
    > (Simpler finding and management..)
    > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs
    > folder, does it change the files on the document
    > partition where the 'real' files are stored....?
    >
    > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of
    > the true document files...
    >
    > I have all my data files on another partition as I need
    > to reinstall windows once every 8 or 9 months...
    >
    > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
    >
    > Regards

    Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real folder.

    "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u4bMcosaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
    > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a different
    > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
    > (Simpler finding and management..)
    >
    > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
    > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
    > stored....?
    >
    > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true document
    > files...
    >
    > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall windows
    > once every 8 or 9 months...
    >
    > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
    >
    > Regards

    That is excellent.......So, true to say that my backups of the 'real' folder
    on the (different to XP My Docs Folder) partition will actually back up the
    changed files and not the 'mirror' files?

    Thanks for the advice...

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
    folder.

    "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
    > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
    > different
    > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
    > (Simpler finding and management..)
    >
    > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
    > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
    > stored....?
    >
    > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
    > document
    > files...
    >
    > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
    > windows
    > once every 8 or 9 months...
    >
    > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
    >
    > Regards

    And what is the best way to do it all, so as to ensure I only amend and
    update the files on the partition?

    Regards

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
    folder.

    "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
    > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
    > different
    > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
    > (Simpler finding and management..)
    >
    > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
    > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
    > stored....?
    >
    > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
    > document
    > files...
    >
    > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
    > windows
    > once every 8 or 9 months...
    >
    > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
    >
    > Regards

    There's only one file. With three ways of accessing it.

    "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e6r1PUtaFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > That is excellent.......So, true to say that my backups of the 'real' folder
    > on the (different to XP My Docs Folder) partition will actually back up the
    > changed files and not the 'mirror' files?
    >
    > Thanks for the advice...
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
    > folder.

    > "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
    > > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
    > > different
    > > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
    > > (Simpler finding and management..)
    > >
    > > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
    > > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
    > > stored....?
    > >
    > > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
    > > document
    > > files...
    > >
    > > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
    > > windows
    > > once every 8 or 9 months...
    > >
    > > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
    > >
    > > Regards

    I don't understand what you think?

    "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > And what is the best way to do it all, so as to ensure I only amend and
    > update the files on the partition?
    >

    > Regards

    After changing the my documents to the other location ,, u just have to use
    the my documents on the desktop as normal and the files in the MY DOCUMENTS
    on the other partition will update as normal... as this is now where the
    files are now saved to....

Partition Windows XP