My Docs Folder

June 7, 2005 1:01:11 AM

I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a different
partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
(Simpler finding and management..)

The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
stored....?

In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true document
files...

I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall windows
once every 8 or 9 months...

Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....

Regards

More about : docs folder

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:01:12 AM

Hi David,

No files or folder will be changed, just the target.
How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

David wrote:
> I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I
> understand that if I point the My Docs directory to my
> ACTUAL directory, which is on a different partition, then
> I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> (Simpler finding and management..)
> The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs
> folder, does it change the files on the document
> partition where the 'real' files are stored....?
>
> In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of
> the true document files...
>
> I have all my data files on another partition as I need
> to reinstall windows once every 8 or 9 months...
>
> Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
>
> Regards
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:59:35 AM

Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real folder.

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u4bMcosaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
> point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a different
> partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> (Simpler finding and management..)
>
> The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
> change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
> stored....?
>
> In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true document
> files...
>
> I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall windows
> once every 8 or 9 months...
>
> Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
>
> Regards

Related resources
June 7, 2005 9:59:36 AM

That is excellent.......So, true to say that my backups of the 'real' folder
on the (different to XP My Docs Folder) partition will actually back up the
changed files and not the 'mirror' files?

Thanks for the advice...

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
folder.

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
> point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
> different
> partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> (Simpler finding and management..)
>
> The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
> change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
> stored....?
>
> In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
> document
> files...
>
> I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
> windows
> once every 8 or 9 months...
>
> Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
>
> Regards

June 7, 2005 9:59:36 AM

And what is the best way to do it all, so as to ensure I only amend and
update the files on the partition?

Regards

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
folder.

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
> point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
> different
> partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> (Simpler finding and management..)
>
> The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
> change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
> stored....?
>
> In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
> document
> files...
>
> I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
> windows
> once every 8 or 9 months...
>
> Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
>
> Regards

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:23:52 AM

There's only one file. With three ways of accessing it.

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e6r1PUtaFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That is excellent.......So, true to say that my backups of the 'real' folder
> on the (different to XP My Docs Folder) partition will actually back up the
> changed files and not the 'mirror' files?
>
> Thanks for the advice...
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
> folder.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
> > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
> > different
> > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> > (Simpler finding and management..)
> >
> > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
> > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
> > stored....?
> >
> > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
> > document
> > files...
> >
> > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
> > windows
> > once every 8 or 9 months...
> >
> > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
> >
> > Regards

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:06:58 AM

I don't understand what you think?

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uVDIzxtaFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> And what is the best way to do it all, so as to ensure I only amend and
> update the files on the partition?
>

> Regards
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Yes the one on the desktop or in My Computer is a "mirror" of the real
> folder.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have never really used the XP Docs folder, but I understand that if I
> > point the My Docs directory to my ACTUAL directory, which is on a
> > different
> > partition, then I can use the My Docs folder as it meant to be used.
> > (Simpler finding and management..)
> >
> > The issue is, if I amend or change docs thru the My Docs folder, does it
> > change the files on the document partition where the 'real' files are
> > stored....?
> >
> > In other words - is the My Docs folder just a 'mirror' of the true
> > document
> > files...
> >
> > I have all my data files on another partition as I need to reinstall
> > windows
> > once every 8 or 9 months...
> >
> > Not sure that is clear...but any help is appreciated....
> >
> > Regards

June 8, 2005 12:06:59 AM

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o FmAqi0aFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
I don't understand what you think?

"David" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> And what is the best way to do it all, so as to ensure I only amend and
> update the files on the partition?
>

> Regards

After changing the my documents to the other location ,, u just have to use
the my documents on the desktop as normal and the files in the MY DOCUMENTS
on the other partition will update as normal... as this is now where the
files are now saved to....
!