Gigabyte 8KNXP. Did I install HD properly??

truiz9902

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Well I've put everything together and all seems in working order and I was getting ready to install OS but.......
I'm now wondering if I even installed the HD properly. I have installed the HD using the standard IDE cable connected to the IDE 1 connector(red, primary on Mobo). But I think with the 8KNXP board, I have the option of connecting via the serial ATA connectors? So if that is the case can I ditch the IDE cable and use the little red SATA cable? Help Please.

And while I have your attention, After I get the HD connected properly, what would be my next step? Is it time to load the OS or is there something I should be doing before that? Everything connected, is new out of the box.

And fwiw I opened this thread on the "other components" thread but thought it might be a bit more appropriate here.

and please remember this is my first build. :))

regards
truiz

Gigabyte 8KNXP Mboard
SilenX 460w 14 dBA Active-PFC PSU (very quiet)
CPU P4/3.0CGHz 800Mhz W/ HT
1GB (2 x 512) OCZ C2 PC3500 EL DDRAM
WD 120GB 8mb/7200rpm mod# WD1200JBRTL
1-PNY FX5200 Ultra 8x VGA/DVI out AGP card
1-PNY-FX5200 8X 128Mb DUAL VGA out PCI card
Panasonic 1.44MB FDD
Khypermedia CD-RW
CASE KINGWIN KT-436WM SILVER
XP Pro

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well if you do not have a serial ata hard drive then you cannot use the serial ata cable...so even though your mobo has the capability of sata if your hard drive does not then you are stuck with PATA which will perform just as well as sata. No you don't have to do anything else to install the os all modern operating systems will format and partition the hard drives for you...so unless ya want to set up multiple partitions the os will do it fine.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Congrats on the build! Good luck loading the OS and drivers.

I'm interested in the case - let me know how quiet it is, ok?

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

truiz9902

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
The case is great. It came stock with all 5 fans. The case fans and SilenX PSU fan are verrrry quiet. I also have 5 other fans on the mobo. 1 for the DPS2 card, 1-AGP card fan, 1-PCI card fan, 1-chip fan and the Stock Intel HSF. By far, the Intel HSF is the noisiest of all and I'm going to change that one out.

As far as How quiet the case is, well since this is my first build, I can't really compare to any other name brand cases since I haven't used any. But I do also have a 1 year old Dell P4 8200 P4 2.4GB which is very quiet and the new system and case are a tad bit louder but not by much.

I also have an older P3 that sounds like it's revving for take off. Noisy noisy noisy. it's about as loud as the wifey's Gateway AMD 1100. So all in all I am a happy with the case.

hope this helps

regards

truiz