command prompt c# compiler

June 6, 2005 5:04:03 PM

I am doing a course in Visual C#.net. I am at my first very basic one line
program. the book (Visual C# Net) by Joyce Farrell says to run it first from
the command line because it is much simpler. Later I should install the
Microsoft Compiler which has more steps. My problem is when I enter csc and
the program name 'Hello.cs' it says it cant find the compiler. When I enter
tha path the text book says to, it finds the compiler but not the
program.When I change the path to cd c:\ like the school told me to it can't
find the compiler again. Can anyone help me with this. I sure would
appreaciate it. ThankYou in advance. Paul Fiedler
--
Paul Fiedler
Anonymous

Check your PATH environment variable.

See if the compiler and the program are in folders listed in the PATH
environment variable.

Open a Command Prompt
Type:

path

Hit Enter.

It will display something like...

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

Make sure that both the program and the compiler are in one of the PATH
folders.

Or add the path to the folder that they are in to the PATH environment
variable.

What folder(s) are the program and the compiler in?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B0E70A26-092D-4F18-B148-0F528C28FEC7@microsoft.com,
Paul Fiedler <PaulFiedler@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am doing a course in Visual C#.net. I am at my first very basic one line
> program. the book (Visual C# Net) by Joyce Farrell says to run it first
> from the command line because it is much simpler. Later I should install
> the Microsoft Compiler which has more steps. My problem is when I enter
> csc and the program name 'Hello.cs' it says it cant find the compiler.
> When I enter tha path the text book says to, it finds the compiler but
> not the program.When I change the path to cd c:\ like the school told me
> to it can't find the compiler again. Can anyone help me with this. I sure
> would appreaciate it. ThankYou in advance. Paul Fiedler
> --
> Paul Fiedler
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:10:57 PM

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

..NET framework includes the compilers (so if you don't mind doing all extra menial work you can program in .NET for free).

!