command prompt c# compiler

I am doing a course in Visual C#.net. I am at my first very basic one line
program. the book (Visual C# Net) by Joyce Farrell says to run it first from
the command line because it is much simpler. Later I should install the
Microsoft Compiler which has more steps. My problem is when I enter csc and
the program name 'Hello.cs' it says it cant find the compiler. When I enter
tha path the text book says to, it finds the compiler but not the
program.When I change the path to cd c:\ like the school told me to it can't
find the compiler again. Can anyone help me with this. I sure would
appreaciate it. ThankYou in advance. Paul Fiedler
--
Paul Fiedler
2 answers Last reply

    Check your PATH environment variable.

    See if the compiler and the program are in folders listed in the PATH
    environment variable.

    Open a Command Prompt
    Type:

    path

    Hit Enter.

    It will display something like...

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

    Make sure that both the program and the compiler are in one of the PATH
    folders.

    Or add the path to the folder that they are in to the PATH environment
    variable.

    What folder(s) are the program and the compiler in?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B0E70A26-092D-4F18-B148-0F528C28FEC7@microsoft.com,
    Paul Fiedler <PaulFiedler@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am doing a course in Visual C#.net. I am at my first very basic one line
    > program. the book (Visual C# Net) by Joyce Farrell says to run it first
    > from the command line because it is much simpler. Later I should install
    > the Microsoft Compiler which has more steps. My problem is when I enter
    > csc and the program name 'Hello.cs' it says it cant find the compiler.
    > When I enter tha path the text book says to, it finds the compiler but
    > not the program.When I change the path to cd c:\ like the school told me
    > to it can't find the compiler again. Can anyone help me with this. I sure
    > would appreaciate it. ThankYou in advance. Paul Fiedler
    > --
    > Paul Fiedler

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

    ..NET framework includes the compilers (so if you don't mind doing all extra menial work you can program in .NET for free).
    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OLkAJguaFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Check your PATH environment variable.
    >
    > See if the compiler and the program are in folders listed in the PATH
    > environment variable.
    >
    > Open a Command Prompt
    > Type:
    >
    > path
    >
    > Hit Enter.
    >
    > It will display something like...
    >
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    >
    > Make sure that both the program and the compiler are in one of the PATH
    > folders.
    >
    > Or add the path to the folder that they are in to the PATH environment
    > variable.
    >
    > What folder(s) are the program and the compiler in?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B0E70A26-092D-4F18-B148-0F528C28FEC7@microsoft.com,
    > Paul Fiedler <PaulFiedler@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I am doing a course in Visual C#.net. I am at my first very basic one line
    > > program. the book (Visual C# Net) by Joyce Farrell says to run it first
    > > from the command line because it is much simpler. Later I should install
    > > the Microsoft Compiler which has more steps. My problem is when I enter
    > > csc and the program name 'Hello.cs' it says it cant find the compiler.
    > > When I enter tha path the text book says to, it finds the compiler but
    > > not the program.When I change the path to cd c:\ like the school told me
    > > to it can't find the compiler again. Can anyone help me with this. I sure
    > > would appreaciate it. ThankYou in advance. Paul Fiedler
    > > --
    > > Paul Fiedler

Compile C# Command Prompt Windows XP