sturm

Splendid
Just built a new computer for my sister-in-law (wish it was me). MSI k7n2g-l, 2x256mb (dual channel) 80 gig WD 8MB cache and lite-on dvd/cdrw and Barton 2500. Man is this thing fast.
Anyway has problems with it booting real slow and stalling on boot and not seeing drive after xp install. Searched the wep and found out that if you remove the jumper from the hard drive it will work.
Removed the jumpter and everything is fine. Computer boots in about 20 to 25 seconds.

If anyone is haveing problems with slow boots and WD drives, REMOVE THE JUMPER FROM THE HARD DRIVE!

I am assuming that with 2 drives, one master and one slave, that the problem doesnt come up. Havent seen it mentioned yet. Let me know if anyone does.

RCPilot

Champion
Removing that jumper in effect puts in in Single Mode & that's exactly what your running. Shows it right on the top of the HDD for Jumper Settings.

No magic here.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thats standard for all WD drives. If its a single, remove the jumper. If its a master (non-single), use the jumper.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Yep, I discovered that a couple of weeks ago while putting together an upgrade with a friend. Also, the older 30GB 7200rpm drives won't work at all with that particular board, although it may be the nForce 2 chipset. Had two of 'em I was putting into the upgrade and neither one would work. Not seen in Windows, not even seen in the BIOS. After a few converstaions with WD tech support, we had to just give up. He told me they were working on a fix. We'll see.
-Brett

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Lol, I remember. It actually came from realising my 133FSB mobo could reach 166FSB without any kind of mods. It was the 2Ghz of my 1700+ mixed with a lapped fully overclocked Geforce 4 Ti that did it for me. Im so Proud!!!! :lol:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>