Sign in with
Your question

Very odd A-Bit KA7 prob

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2003 12:06:21 AM

Alright I pulled out of my closet this old A-Bit KA7 100 mobo with a 800 MHz athlon slot processor. When I power the cpu on it posts ok and I can get into the bios. It will be fine for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the signal to the monitor dies and I can't do anything. Something is bad and I am not sure where to begin looking. I stuck in a couple different sticks of ram but didnt seem to do anything just shutsdown after about 30 secs.
What else is odd is the cpu doesnt restart it just dies but the fans are still spinning and lights are on. It also booted up 98 that was on the HD but it wont remain on long enough to allow me to get to windows anymore. Bad processor or is the board shot? I downloaded the latest bios but I cant even get it to remain on long enough to flash the bios.

Elpierco

More about : odd bit ka7 prob

July 14, 2003 2:23:10 AM

hmmm...has this just started happening...did you change anything...sounds like a power delivery problem...bad power supply or failing capacitors. Or an overheating cpu...but since the heatsink was probably installed by amd...i'm not too sure. More specs plez (including power supply and brand); also any overclocking?

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: 
July 14, 2003 2:58:08 AM

I am using a Deer 400ATX PSU, yeah I know it really sucks but I used to run this cpu on a deer 300 PSU. I really just pulled this CPU out and am trying to seriously troubleshoot it. You mentioned failing capacitors??? On the board or within the PSU. I am not OCing the CPU at all. I striped the graphite pad off the heatsink and cpu and applied some thermal grease and from what the thermal probe tells me it is sitting at about 30 degrees celsius but the probe sucks so it is possible that the cpu is overheating. The heat sink is real ghetto but it worked fine in the past. See that is really the problem is I dont have a specific point in the past that I remember the CPU failing. I basically built a new CPU and stashed this one away...I am going to see if I can find another mobo at work to test the processor on...Thanks PIII_Man for your thoughts...El

Elpierco
Related resources
July 14, 2003 6:32:24 AM

Well 30 seconds is just enough time for 2 things to heat up to thermal failure. 1 is the Powersupply make shure that is ok, try a differant power supply if you have one. Sometimes a ageing powersupply will give out bad voltages when they worm up. the second thing is the CPU. Sometimes these types of chips have a very small gap between the CPU and the cooler fan/heat sink. Make shure that the cpu is tight on the heatsink with a modest amount of thermal grease. Check these things first. The easyest way to tell if the CPU is overheating is to go into the BIOS and goto the temp/voltage section, and just watch the CPU temperature when you first turn it on. You didn't mention if there were any beep codes after the 30 seconds is up. hope this helps a bit.
July 14, 2003 6:48:08 AM

Try to boot with only an old pci video card, no ide drives or floppy. That way you are only testing the pertinent parts.
!