Spoolsv.exe is using up to 80% of my CPU

I have latest version of Norton running and have swept for viruses. Also
have Spy Sweeper checking for spyware. Installed HP Business Inkjet1200
printer a while ago. I have checked print queues and nothing running. Have
stopped Spoolsv.exe process, but back it pops gobbling up more CPU. Any
suggestions?
3 answers Last reply
More about spoolsv

    Alita1 <alita1> wrote:

    > I have latest version of Norton running and have swept for viruses.
    > Also
    > have Spy Sweeper checking for spyware. Installed HP Business
    > Inkjet1200
    > printer a while ago. I have checked print queues and nothing running.
    > Have
    > stopped Spoolsv.exe process, but back it pops gobbling up more CPU.
    > Any suggestions?

    Googling for this error produces a lot of links. Most of them come down
    to either you have a virus or there are one or more print jobs waiting
    in the queue. Some people mentioned that while the printer itself
    showed no jobs, there was a job waiting on Microsoft Image Writer,
    which I gather gets installed with Office. Since you are quite sure you
    don't have a virus (and I assume that your latest version of NAV also
    has the latest virus definitions installed), perhaps you have a job in
    something like the Image Writer?

    Otherwise, try clean-boot troubleshooting:

    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    You might try seeing if HP has any new drivers for that printer. Often the
    driver that ships with a printer is not the latest version by the time the
    printer hits your print stand. It's like the thing with textbooks: the
    delay between writing the driver and getting it from the factory to your home
    may be a year or more, so the driver may not have been intended to function
    with your current configuration.

    Kathea Banshou wrote:

    > You might try seeing if HP has any new drivers for that printer.
    > Often the driver that ships with a printer is not the latest version
    > by the time the
    > printer hits your print stand. It's like the thing with textbooks:
    > the delay between writing the driver and getting it from the factory
    > to your home may be a year or more, so the driver may not have been
    > intended to function with your current configuration.

    Kathea has a really good point about the HP drivers. There have been a
    *lot* of problems with some of the "extra" software that HP includes
    with their drivers, such as monitoring software. I haven't seen the
    100% cpu usage, but I have seen blue screening on some machines that
    have the hpmon stuff starting with Windows. That's why clean-boot
    t-shooting is useful in that case.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers