Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Spoolsv.exe is using up to 80% of my CPU

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2005 5:50:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have latest version of Norton running and have swept for viruses. Also
have Spy Sweeper checking for spyware. Installed HP Business Inkjet1200
printer a while ago. I have checked print queues and nothing running. Have
stopped Spoolsv.exe process, but back it pops gobbling up more CPU. Any
suggestions?

More about : spoolsv exe cpu

June 7, 2005 7:08:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Alita1 <alita1> wrote:

> I have latest version of Norton running and have swept for viruses.
> Also
> have Spy Sweeper checking for spyware. Installed HP Business
> Inkjet1200
> printer a while ago. I have checked print queues and nothing running.
> Have
> stopped Spoolsv.exe process, but back it pops gobbling up more CPU.
> Any suggestions?

Googling for this error produces a lot of links. Most of them come down
to either you have a virus or there are one or more print jobs waiting
in the queue. Some people mentioned that while the printer itself
showed no jobs, there was a job waiting on Microsoft Image Writer,
which I gather gets installed with Office. Since you are quite sure you
don't have a virus (and I assume that your latest version of NAV also
has the latest virus definitions installed), perhaps you have a job in
something like the Image Writer?

Otherwise, try clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2005 4:46:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You might try seeing if HP has any new drivers for that printer. Often the
driver that ships with a printer is not the latest version by the time the
printer hits your print stand. It's like the thing with textbooks: the
delay between writing the driver and getting it from the factory to your home
may be a year or more, so the driver may not have been intended to function
with your current configuration.

"Malke" wrote:

> Alita1 <alita1> wrote:
>
> > I have latest version of Norton running and have swept for viruses.
> > Also
> > have Spy Sweeper checking for spyware. Installed HP Business
> > Inkjet1200
> > printer a while ago. I have checked print queues and nothing running.
> > Have
> > stopped Spoolsv.exe process, but back it pops gobbling up more CPU.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Googling for this error produces a lot of links. Most of them come down
> to either you have a virus or there are one or more print jobs waiting
> in the queue. Some people mentioned that while the printer itself
> showed no jobs, there was a job waiting on Microsoft Image Writer,
> which I gather gets installed with Office. Since you are quite sure you
> don't have a virus (and I assume that your latest version of NAV also
> has the latest virus definitions installed), perhaps you have a job in
> something like the Image Writer?
>
> Otherwise, try clean-boot troubleshooting:
>
> Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
> and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
June 8, 2005 8:19:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Kathea Banshou wrote:

> You might try seeing if HP has any new drivers for that printer.
> Often the driver that ships with a printer is not the latest version
> by the time the
> printer hits your print stand. It's like the thing with textbooks:
> the delay between writing the driver and getting it from the factory
> to your home may be a year or more, so the driver may not have been
> intended to function with your current configuration.
>
Kathea has a really good point about the HP drivers. There have been a
*lot* of problems with some of the "extra" software that HP includes
with their drivers, such as monitoring software. I haven't seen the
100% cpu usage, but I have seen blue screening on some machines that
have the hpmon stuff starting with Windows. That's why clean-boot
t-shooting is useful in that case.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!