why are p3 xeons, SOOOO much more than p4 xeons?

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
hey guys, i want to build a dual p3 xeon system, just because i love the huge size of the proc, is that why the damn things are soooo much more expensive than the p4 xeons?

im just curious as to why...

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Because of the large lvl 2 cache. Increased cache size means decreased yield from wafers due to the increased die size and the increased failure rate all of which which means increased cost. And the PIII Xeon was made with 0.18 micron technology.

In any event, you'd be mad to attempt such a project. How much can you get a PIII Xeon for anyway?
I have prices for 700MHz P3 Xeon, €1324 with 1MB cache, €2220 with 2MB

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I noticed while shopping around the other day that PIIIs in general are more expensive than PIVs. Old technology is expensive when you want it new. Kind of like when people were looking for 100MHz SDRAM modules and discovered that it was just cheaper to buy 133MHz modules and just underclock 'em.
-Brett

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes i actually find it disapointing that pIII prices havn't droped...does intel still even manufacture pIII's?
what about the pIII Xeons?

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
They definitely still make PIIIs. They have a niche market in high density blade servers due to their low power consumption and heat output and until recently in laptops. I don't know about the 0.18 micron PIII Xeon's though, not sure if any 0.18 lines are still running and the technology really doesn't have a market anymore.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually most of the PC100 on the market now is relabled PC133. The extra money you pay for PC100 is a "service fee" for them relabling the PC133.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>