Software wont work

I have Xp home early version and I have this software that is compatible
with windows 3.1,95, and 98. I installed itin XP and it worked for a
long time. I stop using it like a year and now im trying to use it and
it wont open. I get a message saying

"16 bit Windows Subsystem- C://WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system
file is not suitable for unning MS-DOS and microsoft Windows
applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the applicatoin"

How can I fix it to make the program work again?

--
LiEs

Hi LiEs,

The simplest method to resolve this common problem is to copy autoexec.nt
from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32 and overwrite the one that is
currently there.

Alternately, you can create a new autoexec.nt file and save it to the
\windows\system32 folder to overwrite the corrupted one. Click start/run and
type notepad, then click ok. Copy/paste the below code into it (instead of
typing it in to prevent errors), then click file/"save as". Navigate to the
C:\Windows\system32 folder, change the "save as file" type to "all types"
and name the file autoexec.nt, then click save (if prompted to overwrite the
existing one, do so).

@echo off
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

Reboot when finished. This usually fixes it, but you will find further steps
here if it doesn't:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

Basically, you will have to expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt,
and config.nt to the system32 folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on
your hard drive. Sometimes, you need to create new ones and overwrite the
existing ones - the method is described in the article.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"LiEs" <LiEs.1qcgdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have Xp home early version and I have this software that is compatible
> with windows 3.1,95, and 98. I installed itin XP and it worked for a
> long time. I stop using it like a year and now im trying to use it and
> it wont open. I get a message saying
>
> "16 bit Windows Subsystem- C://WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system
> file is not suitable for unning MS-DOS and microsoft Windows
> applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the applicatoin"
>
> How can I fix it to make the program work again?
>

> --
> LiEs

LiEs <LiEs.1qcgdq@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>I have Xp home early version and I have this software that is compatible
>with windows 3.1,95, and 98. I installed itin XP and it worked for a
>long time. I stop using it like a year and now im trying to use it and
>it wont open. I get a message saying
>
>"16 bit Windows Subsystem- C://WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system
>file is not suitable for unning MS-DOS and microsoft Windows
>applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the applicatoin"

See "Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314106).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 02:39:04 +0000, LiEs <LiEs.1qcgdq@pcbanter.net>
wrote:

>I have Xp home early version and I have this software that is compatible
>with windows 3.1,95, and 98. I installed itin XP and it worked for a
>long time. I stop using it like a year and now im trying to use it and
>it wont open. I get a message saying
>
>"16 bit Windows Subsystem- C://WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system
>file is not suitable for unning MS-DOS and microsoft Windows
>applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the applicatoin"
>
>How can I fix it to make the program work again?
Try the links below,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/413-p1.php
HTH