Flight simulation x instrument rating checkride...HELP!!

flyman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Is there anybody out there who can give me a plain and simple answer to successfully completing the fsx instrument rating checkride. I have been attempting this checkride for many months now and I successfully get to the point of passing PARKK then turn left to a heading of 160 degrees. At that point the examiner instructs me to proceed "fly direct" to KSEA (seattle) and enter the "hold" on the 140 degree radial. Now I have come into KSEA(seattle) in every direction but cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have flown directly to KSEA on the 160 degree heading and flown over it...I've flown by KSEA and continued past it going outbound and have reversed my direction and flown inbound to KSEA vor and started my hold ( or what I thought was the correct hold pattern ) only to be told by the examiner that I entered the hold incorrectly. What the hell is correct!!!!! I have also tried many other variations of approaches, and hold pattern directions to no success. I am beginning to think that Microsoft has created a bogus program with many bugs in it.

Also what about the NAV-1 radio settings, and the OBS-1 setting?????? I get past the PARKK intersection then turn left and rotate the OBS-1 dial to 160 degrees at which point the examiner then instructs me to proceed direct to seattle and hold on the 140 degree radial; so I figure I've set the OBS-1 dial correctly. Is that correct? And what about the NAV-1 radio? Up to that point I have it set at, 116.80. Should I be changing it to some other frequency?? On the checkride printout it says after turning left to a heading of 160 degrees set up for the holding and set NAV-1 radio withing 30 seconds, and the NAV-1 radio frequency within 30 seconds. WHAT FREQUENCY!!!!!!!

What the examiner instructs you to do, and what the printout states are very conflicting. The examiner instructs you to enter the hold on the 140 degree radial...the printout reads, (set up for holding) cross over the SEA VOR on any heading, then under "enter holding" it reads, cross SEA on 140 degree course inbound. INBOUND FROM WHERE!!!!

If there is anyone out there who is willing to help me and clarify this up in a simple explanation it would be greatly appreciated

I'm sure that flying an actual plane in not as precise as this computer program is. I'm sure there's allowances for wind, and other factors that come into play. Flying this checkride on the computer is like playing a game against the computer that you can't win. WHAT THE HELL SENSE IS THAT!!!!!!!

For example; the printout reads no course deviation greater than +/- 2 degrees, well that's absurd. I'm sure in an actual plane with the wind factor your going to go off course by as much as 5 degrees either way!

Please help me out, and clear this up for me by explaining.

Thanks, Mike

flyman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

PARKK intersection : continuing outbound after the missed approach climbing to 2100ft, is exactly 5.8 miles on the 339 degree heading. After that the examiner says to turn left to 160 degrees and climb to 3000ft. Then she says to proceed direct to KSEA(seattle) and maintain 3000ft, and enter the hold on the 140 degree radial. And at that point is where I get confused? Do I get straight in line with 160 degrees in entering the seattle vor, or do I stay at the 160 degree position I'm in and then turn slightly left and enter vor on a 140 degree heading and cross over vor that way. You see she doesn't tell you how to approach seattle vor she just say "fly direct to seattle and enter the hold on the 140 degree radial". I have tried many, many different headings, and approaches, and even tried parrellel and teardrop to enter the hold, with no success. Everything is very vague. There must be some little elaborate manuver that's required and I am not flnding it. I have also contacted other people familiar with fsx ins.rating checkride and they have sent me their interpretation of how the fly it, and I've tried many times, with no success. I'm beginning to think the program has a major bug in it. Have you attempted it? If so, did you succeed? I've gotten to the point where I've given up, but if you can shed some light on this and help me understant, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again,
Mike

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok I see where park is now.
I see why you are confused. It seems that she is guiding you directly over KSEA at 3000 feet. Protected airspace.
I think by looking at the map though you will end up just east of there and would continue until you hit the 140 radial and then continue out on 140.
I think she may be setting you up for an approach on 34R.
Look at the approach Plate (map) in the charts folder (KSEA-VOR-34L-R.GIF) and you may see the direction you will come in from and thus the direction she is sending you in.
Im pretty sure when you travel out far enough on the 140 she is going to have you turn right and proceed west to FACTS and then turn inbound heading to MILLT, DONDO and then the SEA VOR.
FACTS is just east of Mc Chord AFB

The map that IM using to figure this is by setting up a free flight KSEA to KSEA and panning south to find the landmarks.
The KSEA VOR antenna is at the south end of the airport so you may have to fly well past the airport in order to intercept the 140 radial.

flyman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Thanks for all you help, I did finaly pass the ins. rating checkride. It was no easy task. I found a website: fsx rewards.com and there is an article explaining exactly how to successfully pass the checkride. It also provided a detailed map of all the headings. The only thing is that you can't print up your cirtificate when it comes up on screen. Sounds stupid, but after all the studying for months it would be nice to have something to show for it. In flight simulator 2004 a century of flight, you could print up the cirtificates. Well anyways, thanks again for all your help, happy flying!

Mike