msconfig.exe,regedit.exe,taskmgr.exe refuses to run

i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
some utilities bundled with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
msconfig did’t work. can anyone help please?

thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1716514

Hi,

The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely disabled by
a virus.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Here is a combination of utilities that I have found to work very well
in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware, parasites,
malware and the like.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

yvadoi wrote:
> i have just bought a new set of computer and installed
> windows xp pro service pack 2 integrated.but after
> installing all the drivers and some utilities bundled
> with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
> msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming
> regedit.exe to regedit.com and it works but applying that
> remedy to taskmgr and msconfig did’t work. can anyone
> help please?
>
> thanks

map

yvadoi wrote:
> i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
> service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
> some utilities bundled with the set,i'm surprised that i can't open
> msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
> regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
> msconfig did't work. can anyone help please?
>
> thanks

Line 275 left side

Mike Pawlak

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:07:20 -0400, "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
>REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely disabled by
>a virus.
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
Bert,
What a useful script, many, many thanks.
Mike H
remove -bats- to reply

You're welcome, Mike.

--

yvadoi wrote:
> i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
> service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
> some utilities bundled with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
> msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
> regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
> msconfig did’t work. can anyone help please?
>
> thanks

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

Computer Associates:

DialogueScience:
http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

F-Secure:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

BitDefender
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Freedom Online scanner
http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"Bert Kinney" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
>
> REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely
> disabled by
> a virus.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
>
> Here is a combination of utilities that I have found to work
> very well
> in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
> parasites,
> malware and the like.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> yvadoi wrote:
> > i have just bought a new set of computer and installed
> > windows xp pro service pack 2 integrated.but after
> > installing all the drivers and some utilities bundled
> > with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
> > msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming
> > regedit.exe to regedit.com and it works but applying that
> > remedy to taskmgr and msconfig did’t work. can anyone
> > help please?
> >
> > thanks

thanks for the reply..but i have tried xp_emergency utility already
and it still didnt work. I have tried scanning using the online scan
features of bit defender and picicillin,norton2005sytemworks,nod32 but
no virus nor trojans are detected. besides my unit is new and of
course its the hard disks first time to be written and i never
downloaded nor browse anything in the internet sans the picicillin and
bitdefenders homepage which i presume don’t have those trojans etc. I
have even uninstalled all software applications sans the board drivers
and the winXP itself ofcourse but to no avail....i still can’t run the
msconfig.exe and taskmgr.exe....i need more help pls...thank very much

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1717175

Try changing the names totally. Make Taskmgr.exe = manager.exe Msconfig.exe = cnfgure.exe

Some virus's look for the name, with a little more effort. Rather than an exact match, they'll terminate any process that has Taskmgr or Msconfig in the name.

Are the programs terminating as soon as you open them, or is there an error about the program being disabled by the Administrator?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>Try changing the names totally. Make Taskmgr.exe = manager.exe
>Msconfig.exe = cnfgure.exe
>
>Some virus’s look for the name, with a little more effort.
>Rather than an exact match, they’ll terminate any process that
>has Taskmgr or Msconfig in the name.
>
>Are the programs terminating as soon as you open them, or is there an
>error about the program being disabled by the Administrator?

thanks very much for the help.when i’m trying to run those
programs,(e.g.pressing ctrl-alt-del for taskmgr,start-run then typing
msconfig)nothing happens and no error messages were displayed.i’ve got
them running when i tried renaming these files (changing taskmgr.exe
to taskmgr.com and msconfig.exe to cnfigure.exe). i’m wondering why
the XPemergencyUtility program did’nt worked...another problem i have
just discovered is that i can’t open the add/remove folder on the
control panel: "Add or Remove programs has been restricted.please
check with your administrator" message appears, the fact that i am
using a single administrator account.....and i’m wondering why the
autoplay capability of my cd rom don’t work at all even when i set it
all to its default state...i am desperately in need of help here....

As I said, some malware programs look at just the first part of the name Taskmgr, MSCONFIG, etc. Changing the extension won't help. The utility that I wrote uses Copy_of_MSConfig.exe as the file name, so MSCONFIG is there for the malware to find. Try re-naming the files to something different like MSCFG.EXE or TSKMNGR.EXE. The original name is not contained in the new file name and the malware should not be able to find it.

For the Add/Remove Programs restriction, run REGEDIT and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

Look in the right pane for a value called NoAddRemovePrograms. If it exists, its probably set to 1. Double click it and set it to 0 (zero). Also look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

If it the NoAddRemove value isn't in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, don't worry about it.

If you can't run REGEDIT, either, try the renaming method described above.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> [...]
> > msconfig)nothing happens and no error messages were
> displayed.i’ve got
> > them running when i tried renaming these files (changing
> taskmgr.exe
> > to taskmgr.com and msconfig.exe to cnfigure.exe). i’m wondering why
> > the XPemergencyUtility program did’nt worked...another
> problem i have
> > just discovered is that i can’t open the add/remove folder
> on the
> > control panel: "Add or Remove programs has been
> restricted.please
> > check with your administrator" message appears, the fact
> that i am
> > using a single administrator account.....and i’m wondering
> why the
> > autoplay capability of my cd rom don’t work at all even
> when i set it
> > all to its default state...i am desperately in need of help

i’m very much grateful for the help.i can already run the
programs(taskmgr,regedit,msconfig)by renaming them sans running the
taskmgr by using ctrl+alt+del... is there something to do about this?
as for the addremove restrictions,i got them running already...thanks
for the help..

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724320

You need to get rid of the virus/malware that is on your system. You're still infected, that's why you cannot run these programs using their original names!

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>You need to get rid of the virus/malware that is on your system.
>You’re still infected, that’s why you cannot run these
>programs using their original names!

i have tried doing online scans from
symantec,trendmicro,bitdefender,panda etc. but nothing was detected.i
have tried formatting a different harddisk and installed same,bundled,
windows xp service pack 2 i’m surprised that i met the same
problem.the installation runs smoothly no errors,missing files etc.i
think theres something wrong with the winxp installer so i have tried
consulting the local dealer and they said its impossible that a
trojan,malware,virus etc. maybe encrypted with the winxp installer
they gave me.is there such a possibility that a malware might have
been encrypted with my winxp installer?any idea would be a great help
for me.

thanks very much