msconfig.exe,regedit.exe,taskmgr.exe refuses to run

i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
some utilities bundled with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
msconfig did’t work. can anyone help please?

thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1716514
12 answers Last reply
More about msconfig regedit taskmgr refuses

    Hi,

    The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
    REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely disabled by
    a virus.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

    Here is a combination of utilities that I have found to work very well
    in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware, parasites,
    malware and the like.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    yvadoi wrote:
    > i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
    > service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
    > some utilities bundled with the set,i'm surprised that i can't open
    > msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
    > regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
    > msconfig did't work. can anyone help please?
    >
    > thanks

    Line 275 left side

    Mike Pawlak

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:07:20 -0400, "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
    >REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely disabled by
    >a virus.
    >http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
    Bert,
    What a useful script, many, many thanks.
    Mike H
    remove -bats- to reply

    You're welcome, Mike.

    --

    yvadoi wrote:
    > i have just bought a new set of computer and installed windows xp pro
    > service pack 2 integrated.but after installing all the drivers and
    > some utilities bundled with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
    > msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming regedit.exe to
    > regedit.com and it works but applying that remedy to taskmgr and
    > msconfig did’t work. can anyone help please?
    >
    > thanks

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
    mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
    aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
    scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    Computer Associates:

    DialogueScience:
    http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    BitDefender
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Freedom Online scanner
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The script on the following page will creates usable copies of
    >
    > REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager which were most likely
    > disabled by
    > a virus.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
    >
    > Here is a combination of utilities that I have found to work
    > very well
    > in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
    > parasites,
    > malware and the like.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > yvadoi wrote:
    > > i have just bought a new set of computer and installed
    > > windows xp pro service pack 2 integrated.but after
    > > installing all the drivers and some utilities bundled
    > > with the set,i’m surprised that i can’t open
    > > msconfig,regedit and taskmgr..i have tried renaming
    > > regedit.exe to regedit.com and it works but applying that
    > > remedy to taskmgr and msconfig did’t work. can anyone
    > > help please?
    > >
    > > thanks

    thanks for the reply..but i have tried xp_emergency utility already
    and it still didnt work. I have tried scanning using the online scan
    features of bit defender and picicillin,norton2005sytemworks,nod32 but
    no virus nor trojans are detected. besides my unit is new and of
    course its the hard disks first time to be written and i never
    downloaded nor browse anything in the internet sans the picicillin and
    bitdefenders homepage which i presume don’t have those trojans etc. I
    have even uninstalled all software applications sans the board drivers
    and the winXP itself ofcourse but to no avail....i still can’t run the
    msconfig.exe and taskmgr.exe....i need more help pls...thank very much

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1717175

    Try changing the names totally. Make Taskmgr.exe = manager.exe Msconfig.exe = cnfgure.exe

    Some virus's look for the name, with a little more effort. Rather than an exact match, they'll terminate any process that has Taskmgr or Msconfig in the name.

    Are the programs terminating as soon as you open them, or is there an error about the program being disabled by the Administrator?

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >Try changing the names totally. Make Taskmgr.exe = manager.exe
    >Msconfig.exe = cnfgure.exe
    >
    >Some virus’s look for the name, with a little more effort.
    >Rather than an exact match, they’ll terminate any process that
    >has Taskmgr or Msconfig in the name.
    >
    >Are the programs terminating as soon as you open them, or is there an
    >error about the program being disabled by the Administrator?

    thanks very much for the help.when i’m trying to run those
    programs,(e.g.pressing ctrl-alt-del for taskmgr,start-run then typing
    msconfig)nothing happens and no error messages were displayed.i’ve got
    them running when i tried renaming these files (changing taskmgr.exe
    to taskmgr.com and msconfig.exe to cnfigure.exe). i’m wondering why
    the XPemergencyUtility program did’nt worked...another problem i have
    just discovered is that i can’t open the add/remove folder on the
    control panel: "Add or Remove programs has been restricted.please
    check with your administrator" message appears, the fact that i am
    using a single administrator account.....and i’m wondering why the
    autoplay capability of my cd rom don’t work at all even when i set it
    all to its default state...i am desperately in need of help here....

    As I said, some malware programs look at just the first part of the name Taskmgr, MSCONFIG, etc. Changing the extension won't help. The utility that I wrote uses Copy_of_MSConfig.exe as the file name, so MSCONFIG is there for the malware to find. Try re-naming the files to something different like MSCFG.EXE or TSKMNGR.EXE. The original name is not contained in the new file name and the malware should not be able to find it.

    For the Add/Remove Programs restriction, run REGEDIT and go to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

    Look in the right pane for a value called NoAddRemovePrograms. If it exists, its probably set to 1. Double click it and set it to 0 (zero). Also look in

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

    If it the NoAddRemove value isn't in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, don't worry about it.

    If you can't run REGEDIT, either, try the renaming method described above.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> [...]
    > > msconfig)nothing happens and no error messages were
    > displayed.i’ve got
    > > them running when i tried renaming these files (changing
    > taskmgr.exe
    > > to taskmgr.com and msconfig.exe to cnfigure.exe). i’m wondering why
    > > the XPemergencyUtility program did’nt worked...another
    > problem i have
    > > just discovered is that i can’t open the add/remove folder
    > on the
    > > control panel: "Add or Remove programs has been
    > restricted.please
    > > check with your administrator" message appears, the fact
    > that i am
    > > using a single administrator account.....and i’m wondering
    > why the
    > > autoplay capability of my cd rom don’t work at all even
    > when i set it
    > > all to its default state...i am desperately in need of help

    i’m very much grateful for the help.i can already run the
    programs(taskmgr,regedit,msconfig)by renaming them sans running the
    taskmgr by using ctrl+alt+del... is there something to do about this?
    as for the addremove restrictions,i got them running already...thanks
    for the help..

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-msconfig.exe-regedit.exe-taskmgr.exe-refuses-run-ftopict543989.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724320

    You need to get rid of the virus/malware that is on your system. You're still infected, that's why you cannot run these programs using their original names!

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >You need to get rid of the virus/malware that is on your system.
    >You’re still infected, that’s why you cannot run these
    >programs using their original names!

    i have tried doing online scans from
    symantec,trendmicro,bitdefender,panda etc. but nothing was detected.i
    have tried formatting a different harddisk and installed same,bundled,
    windows xp service pack 2 i’m surprised that i met the same
    problem.the installation runs smoothly no errors,missing files etc.i
    think theres something wrong with the winxp installer so i have tried
    consulting the local dealer and they said its impossible that a
    trojan,malware,virus etc. maybe encrypted with the winxp installer
    they gave me.is there such a possibility that a malware might have
    been encrypted with my winxp installer?any idea would be a great help
    for me.

    thanks very much

Regedit Msconfig Windows XP