Please help me with this mobo Problem

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've just built my first rig using a MSI neo2 FIS2R, when I switched it on it said looking for devices.....none found
then it says
No bios installed. Is that what happens when you first switch a new computer on? It doesn't do a memeory check or show what processor I'm using or anything.

I went into the BIOS setup (del) and it listed all my dirves the CD dive on the primary IDE channel and the HD on the Secondary IDE boot Channel. Also it pick up the floppy drive so I know all the cables in the right place.

Any ideas?

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
I have one word for you (actually, its a TLA):

<i>RMA</i>

That is not normal. The only workaround possible is to press on the BIOS chip to make sure it is firmly in place. Your CMOS battery <i>could</i> be dead. If you can boot with a floppy, you might try to flash a BIOS program, but really, I would contact MSI for something like this.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Hmmm i don't thin its a dead battery as it is a brand new Motherboard but I will check out that bios chip thing.
I can actualy use the devices i.e right now i'm fomatting the hard disk from a WIN98 CD-Rom, does that tell us anything?

Edit

okay I've manged to install windows 98Se after which I'm putting WIN XP pro over it. So i can still use the computer but this Bios thing is worrying.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JeanLuc on 07/15/03 10:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
after consulting with MSI over e-mail (no helpline tech support!), they reckon its just a saying that there is no S-ATA devices attached. There is a mainboard bios as it can be accessed by pressing the del key.

Thanks for your help

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Well, to a certain extent. THe BIOS will be reset every restart, cold boot, or no.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Brand new boards can have faulty batteries. Another could be the clear CMOS jumper is misplaced, if that seems more reasonable.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
No there is absolutely nothing wrong with the board. This just means there is nothing attached to the fast trak RAID controller. I have a k7n2 delta ilsr, and it has an ide3 connection. If you hook a hd to that, it will be recognized there, not in the bios. Where it says that, is not actually in the bios. Its just after it. It says something like FastTrak Controller C 2003 or something
There is no drived attached to the fasttrak controller, the bios is not installed. That is perfectly normal

<i>Royal Fusileres, Company C</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem is...your monitor. Seriously, it's a common problem with all "smart" monitors. When you turn your system on, it takes a few seconds for your monitor to warm up. During that few seconds, your BIOS POST screen flashes up, then goes away, then the RAID BIOS pops up.

The only thing you can do in such circumstances if you want to see the POST screen is to use the RESET button. That way your computer will reboot before your monitor has enough time to cool down!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Oh, yeah. That too. Its kinda hard to diagnose these things without actually being there.

Thanks for the info.