john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
After reading through the April 5 2003 article about various sound chips, I've started to take more notice of that particular part of the motherboard. So my question is, seeing how the manufacturers are often less than clear about their chipset specifics, which boards have the nForce2 APU? And how would one tell if a particular motherboard has it?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
All nForce2 boards with MCP-T (as opposed to the standard MCP) southbridge, with the exception of Chaintech 7NJS-ZENITH, feature the nForce APU. Abit NF7-S, Epox 8RDA+, Asus A7n8x Deluxe, for example.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
What I've found is that some of the mobos with the MCP-T also use a Realtek chip for the audio. Does that have any bearing on the matter?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
The nVidia features contained in the MCP-T southbridge (nForce APU, for example) need physical routing to the ports that they work from. With respect to what you've observed, Realtek provides the interface but the nForce APU does the processing.

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Well, it depends....
I was looking at the Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro, but there were discrepancies between the specs that Leadtek gave and the specs from the vendor. Makes me a bit wary about getting old-revision boards. That plus no CPU multiplier adjustments and the bad thing about power plug placement. So I'm looking at pretty much a good OC'ing board with features like those on the Leadtek (333 FSB, yada yada). Preferbly below $100, but ~$120 won't kill me. Ideas?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I recommend Abit NF7-S version 2.0. Great for overclocking, utilizes the nVidia APU, Firewire, SATA (RAID), etc. It is available for purchase at <A HREF="http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=866" target="_new">ExcaliberPC</A> for $109.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Id recommend the epox 8rda+. Solid board, my friend got one. OCS fairly well, and is real cheap. about 80 dollars

<i>Royal Fusileres, Company C</i>

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
I looked at the NF7-S, but is there any savings to be made in finding a board without SATA (don't foresee any need for that, but then again....)

Bottom line is, what is the cheapest board with good OC capabilities that has the nForce2 APU?

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
The Epox 8RDA+ would be. However, it lacks the extra audio outputs that the A7N8X-Deluxe and NF7-S offer. It lacks SPDIF & you lose your line-in and mic-in if you want to run a multichannel setup. Of course you could probably order a bracket from Epox with these extra connectors, but then it'll cost just as much as the other boards in the end and still lack SATA. Any idea what speaker setup you would be running with your system? I'd go with Prof's recommendation: The NF7-S V2.0 (I have this board). The A7N8X-Deluxe is good too but a little more expensive.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just agreeing with Prof133 - Epox 8RDA+.

I have one, and I built a system for a friend around one, both overclocked, and both as stable as hell.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
The actual nForce APU is a digital sound processor and the board just uses Realtek to convert this digital signal to analog. The Epox site is rather unclear as to whether that board has the MCP2-T (nForce2 APU), <b>but it does</b>. If you need the extra outputs, get the NF7-S, and if you don't, get the 8RDA+ :eek: .

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Getting nitpicky ;-)

The FAQ says the PCI bus is locked at 33 MHz. Would this be bad (e.g. PCI bus speed is no longer quasi-synchronous with the FSB) ?

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
That's a good thing for overclocking! The AGP/PCI frequency are both locked so when you overclock your FSB, you don't run your video card and other PCI devices out of spec.

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Right, but then the PCI bus is no longer always an exact quotient of the FSB. An analgous (I think) situation would be using DDR400 on a 333FSB Thoroughbred. Would I be correct?

john_sheu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
I'm leaning toward the NF7-S as of now (of course, I got another month to decide). So are there any board issues I should know about? One particular concern: the chipset cooler. Is the default good enough for OC'ing? Do you get much dust accumulation on that thing?

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
The Epox is fanless and the Abit uses a fan. I think the Epox might overclock <i> slightly</i> better. You can raise the voltage to the chipset on both of these boards [EDIT]I <i>think</i> you can raise the voltage to the chipset on the 8RDA+, can anyone vouch for this?[EDIT], and I'd say you should be able to get at least a 215MHz FSB from either of them.

As for issues, there's a very slight annoyance with my NF7-S. If I have the Standby set to "S3" mode, it won't resume unless the CAS# for my memory is 2.5 or higher. Other than that it's great. I haven't noticed any dust problems yet either.

Also, I needed the extra outputs for my 4.1 speaker setup because I have a tv-tuner that plugs into the line-in. I also use the SATA on my PATA hard drive with the serial ata adapter that came with the board. I wanted this so I could put more crap on the IDE channels. I plan on using the SPDIF output in near future as well.

But I bought the NF7-S for my specific needs. If you don't need those extra features, then I'd save some money with the 8RDA+

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by markgun on 07/18/03 02:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Whoops I missed this post
Right, but then the PCI bus is no longer always an exact quotient of the FSB. An analgous (I think) situation would be using DDR400 on a 333FSB Thoroughbred. Would I be correct?
If your PCI frequency gets too high your system will most likely become unstable (depending on what devices are in there). There are no tangible performance increases from a high PCI frequency, just possible instability! So let's be glad there's an AGP/PCI lock :eek: .

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
UPDATE! I was wrong about the Epox, you can't raise the chipset voltage. And it looks like everyone who's getting the high overclocks is doing a volt-mod. This will of course change with their latest revision :smile: