VX4400 Battery Life

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 2, 2004 10:42:42 PM

I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
the phone and charger. Thanks!

More about : vx4400 battery life

July 3, 2004 6:04:08 AM

I didn't even waste my time with the standard battery because when I
compared even the published ratings, they were significantly lower than
comparable phones. So I bought the extended life battery immediately.
It's much better. I really can't give you any numbers ... never measured
it. But it's much better and allows me to get through about 2.5-3 days
of moderate use without needing a charge.

Larry E.

Mike wrote:
> I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
> really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
> am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
> to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
> am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
> down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
> as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
> hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
> seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
> always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
> extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
> Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
> battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
> the phone and charger. Thanks!
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 6:04:09 AM

In time and after sever charging cycles, you should notice that the battery
life will increase dramatically.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Larry" <Larry@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I didn't even waste my time with the standard battery because when I
> compared even the published ratings, they were significantly lower than
> comparable phones. So I bought the extended life battery immediately.
> It's much better. I really can't give you any numbers ... never measured
> it. But it's much better and allows me to get through about 2.5-3 days
> of moderate use without needing a charge.
>
> Larry E.
>
> Mike wrote:
> > I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
> > really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
> > am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
> > to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
> > am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
> > down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
> > as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
> > hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
> > seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
> > always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
> > extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
> > Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
> > battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
> > the phone and charger. Thanks!

July 3, 2004 7:18:27 AM

I charge my 4400 (mine is not the B version) once every two days, typically.
I rarely turn it off. Like you performed, I've lowered my display settings
from their default values. I talk on it probably close to one hour per day.

Steve
July 3, 2004 9:17:04 AM

In article <e0f7682c.0407021742.70fb2985@posting.google.com>, mem7759
@yahoo.com says...
> I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
> really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
> am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
> to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
> am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
> down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
> as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
> hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
> seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
> always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
> extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
> Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
> battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
> the phone and charger. Thanks!

Mine has a strange "idiosyncracy". After talking for 35 - 40 minutes,
I've gone to only one bar. But it continues without problem.

Then, about 10 minutes after I hang up, it is back to say 3 or more bars
although it has not been charged at all.

This is a replacement VX4400 and I've yet to figure this out but it
looks like the battery readout isn't accurate once it gets hot.

As I say, very strange - but otherwise quite a good phone.

Louise
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 4:05:33 PM

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1b500d282009abea9896c4@news-
server.nyc.rr.com:

> Mine has a strange "idiosyncracy". After talking for 35 - 40 minutes,
> I've gone to only one bar. But it continues without problem.
>
> Then, about 10 minutes after I hang up, it is back to say 3 or more bars
> although it has not been charged at all.
>
> This is a replacement VX4400 and I've yet to figure this out but it
> looks like the battery readout isn't accurate once it gets hot.
>
> As I say, very strange - but otherwise quite a good phone.

I've just recently noticed this (have had the phone for a year). I don't
do much talking at any one time, so think I didn't notice this until I
started playing with using it for Verizon Internet access.

--
Tom McCune
July 3, 2004 9:04:01 PM

In article <hixFc.10744$iJ4.3658@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc says...
> Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1b500d282009abea9896c4@news-
> server.nyc.rr.com:
>
> > Mine has a strange "idiosyncracy". After talking for 35 - 40 minutes,
> > I've gone to only one bar. But it continues without problem.
> >
> > Then, about 10 minutes after I hang up, it is back to say 3 or more bars
> > although it has not been charged at all.
> >
> > This is a replacement VX4400 and I've yet to figure this out but it
> > looks like the battery readout isn't accurate once it gets hot.
> >
> > As I say, very strange - but otherwise quite a good phone.
>
> I've just recently noticed this (have had the phone for a year). I don't
> do much talking at any one time, so think I didn't notice this until I
> started playing with using it for Verizon Internet access.

I've been wondering what would happen if I ignored it - would it "fail"
as if the battery were really drained, or does it "know" that the low
readout isn't "true"?

Louise
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 10:37:59 PM

I had a VX4400B phone for one day back in April with the standard
battery. Battery life was 21 hours with 6 minutes of calls when got
the low battery warning though granted my office is in a weak one bar
digital signal area for this phone. The phone was returned to the VZW
store. Now have a Nokia 3589i, not as cosmetically pretty, but
typically battery lasts 2-3 days with moderate volume of calls (60
minutes) over this time, plus has better RF signal in weak areas (1 to
3 bars out of seven) like my office, at least incoming calls ring thru
and stay connected, unlike the 4400B or my old Startac 7868 which
display died after three years of use. I do not know why but Nokias
(have previously owned two others) have better battery life.

Scott

mem7759@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<e0f7682c.0407021742.70fb2985@posting.google.com>...
> I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
> really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
> am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
> to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
> am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
> down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
> as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
> hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
> seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
> always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
> extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
> Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
> battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
> the phone and charger. Thanks!
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 12:33:20 AM

>>>I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning.

That could be your problem. You could have ruined your battery if the
first thing you did was talk on it, instead of charge it. Most owners
manuals clearly state not to use the phone for the first time before
fully charged.
July 5, 2004 10:01:59 AM

KyleDP123@lycos.com (KP) wrote in message news:<66893a6c.0407041933.a2a3e30@posting.google.com>...
> as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
> hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning.
>
> That could be your problem. You could have ruined your battery if the
> first thing you did was talk on it, instead of charge it. Most owners
> manuals clearly state not to use the phone for the first time before
> fully charged.

WOW...that is interesting. I sure hope that is not the case. The
salesman just casually said (when I bought the phone) that it only has
a partial charge on the phone, so you may get "some" use out of it,
but be sure to give it a full charge of 12 hours. I am going to try
to talk to them today and either swap the phone or try another
battery. If I do get a new battery, then I will definitely go
directly to a loooong charge. Thanks for the info
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:37:55 AM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 05:17:04 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <e0f7682c.0407021742.70fb2985@posting.google.com>, mem7759
>@yahoo.com says...
>> I just bought a VX4400B phone. I am still within my 15 days. I
>> really like the phone, but the battery life seems to be very poor. I
>> am not a power user, and I have adjusted all the LCD settings and such
>> to decent levels (in the 50% range), stayed in digital mode, etc. I
>> am betting about 30 hrs of standby and 30 min of talk time and I'm
>> down to 1 bar. I think I can get a bunch more time on the last bar,
>> as my very 1st day with the phone I only had 1 bar, and got about an
>> hour of talk time and never got the low battery warning. This just
>> seems to far below the claimed battery life. I realize you don't
>> always get what is posted, but we are not even close. I know the
>> extended battery is an option, but how much better will that truly be.
>> Can anyone please post their average standby/talk times of their OEM
>> battery? I have already swapped the battery, next is to try to swap
>> the phone and charger. Thanks!
>>
>Mine has a strange "idiosyncracy". After talking for 35 - 40 minutes,
>I've gone to only one bar. But it continues without problem.
>
>Then, about 10 minutes after I hang up, it is back to say 3 or more bars
>although it has not been charged at all.
>
>This is a replacement VX4400 and I've yet to figure this out but it
>looks like the battery readout isn't accurate once it gets hot.
>
>As I say, very strange - but otherwise quite a good phone.
>
>Louise

The battery meter measures the output voltage of the battery. One
feature of Lithium-Ion batteries is that the battery voltage does not
"sag" as much as with Ni-cads or NiMhs, therefor the battery meter is
very sensitive to battery sag. As witrh any batteries, the output
voltage drops slightly when a load is placed on it (the RF amplifier).
When you hang up, the load is reduced and the battery voltage and the
meter go up again. Another phenomenon is "battery float" which is an
abnormally high battery voltage which occurs while charging. If you
put your phone on it's charger for 5 to 10 minutes then remove it, the
meter will show 3 or 4 bars for a little while, then it will creep
back down again. Both of these phenomena are quite normal, although
they are more pronounced with Li-Ions than with other battery types.

Yagi Bear

remove spamproofing to reply by email
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:36:45 PM

>From: mem7759@yahoo.com

> I sure hope that is not the case.

It's usually not the case. You might find lines like that in manuals as a
legacy; however, modern LION (and better) batteries do not have the old memory
effect that would have made it necessary to fully discharge and then fully
charge a battery to set the memory.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:26:13 AM

In article <20040706093645.12194.00001288@mb-m01.aol.com>,
George Knighton <georgeknighton@aol.com> wrote:
>>From: mem7759@yahoo.com
>
>> I sure hope that is not the case.
>
>It's usually not the case. You might find lines like that in manuals as a
>legacy; however, modern LION (and better) batteries do not have the old memory
>effect that would have made it necessary to fully discharge and then fully
>charge a battery to set the memory.

The question of whether new LiIon batteries should be conditioned with
several full charge/discharge cycles is separate from the issue of
"memory", where you are supposed to completely discharge/recharge the
battery EVERY time. LiIon batteries are definitely not subject to the
"memory" issue, and in fact, regularly discharging them "completely"
(that is, until the phone turns off) will hurt their lifetime.

On the question of "conditioning", some people say that you absolutely
should do it, and others say that the manufacturer has already done the
conditioning and no purpose is served by the user also doing it.
!