Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Win XP SP2: The new Nightmare

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 29, 2004 1:35:28 PM

Ok, somewhere along the line I must have gotten confused, because I was under the strong impression that MS Service Pack was supposed to IMPROVE Windows XP, NOT bring it down to crash into pieces. Most hilarious thing is that most of my "3th party" programs still work while most of my Microsoft programs seem to have died on me. Way to go Microsoft!

So this vicious circle is starting all over again then? Release SP then release numerous patches to fix the patch that got whacked by a previous patch? Confusing isn't it?

Short advice: DON'T install SP2!!!

Is it a bad thing if there is smoke coming out of my case?

More about : win sp2 nightmare

August 30, 2004 2:54:29 AM

Um,

I've had a total zero problems with SP2. Perhaps you could elaborate on specific issues you are having?

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
August 30, 2004 11:50:15 AM

Me too have no probs with sp2, it works fine, ye, you must elaborate the probs u faced, name the ms-progs that you were talking about, lets see.

the only glitch i found is that the antiviurs monitoring, it failed to detect my nav 2003 with latest update, and was showing in system tray with an alert saying my pc is under threat.

I simply disabled the monitoring, and the rest is fine, smooth journey on wxp sp2
Related resources
August 31, 2004 2:45:44 AM

Friend told me she couldn’t get on-line (DSL) for a few hours after SP2. The DSL adviser said there were a lot of complaints and after trouble shooting, resorted to uninstalling the SP2 and problem solved. Supposedly MS is aware of some issues. True or not, that’s all I know. I haven’t personally installed it yet and don’t think I will anytime soon, partly because of this and I only up date from time to time when I think of it. I don’t think my system will come crashing down if I don’t update the minute an update becomes available, but might after updating, lol.
August 31, 2004 9:41:45 AM

i had heard that sp2 was very buggy.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
August 31, 2004 11:19:47 AM

I wouldn’t be surprise, since SP1 was the same way, though I didn’t recall any noticeable problem, but others swore to it.
August 31, 2004 12:48:42 PM

Well to be honest, I would have to type an entire bible here with the issues I have since the installation of SP2 so I will only name the most important ones to me:

1)Cuteftp gave up on me. Reinstall and setting tweaking does not work.
2)Some games simply refuse to start, like Unreal Tournament 2004 and even Far Cry! Surprisingly Doom 3 survived the post SP2 event.
3)My soundcard started acting strange after the SP2 install also, it is a Creative Audigy 2. Driver reinstall didn´t seem to fix it either.
4)Random crashes occuring, did NOT have this with SP1.
5)My antivirus (Norman Antivirus) has trouble starting up, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn´t. (worked fine pre-SP2)

Well these are the most important ones. I do not know for sure if the soundcard problem is related to SP2 unless SP2 started to screw around with my Creative drivers. Kinda surprised that my vid card still works normally.

If anyone knows a fix then feel free to let me know about it so that I don´t have to keep whining about it. Believe me, I don´t like to whine, but it seems MS didn´t give me any other choice...

August 31, 2004 4:36:42 PM

What UT 4 doesn’t work, say no more, hehe. That sounds like to much stuff to be a coincidence. Are you able to uninstall the SP2. I’m assuming you would have had to archive the files though, to be able to go back to them. Good luck getting it straighten out.
August 31, 2004 6:17:53 PM

Need more info. to help you trouble shoot your xp sp2 problems. Like what do you see in your event logs when programs crash / computer lock up etc. Sound card problem - have you tried reinstall the whole software package not just the driver?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>
August 31, 2004 7:36:23 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore to before SP2 was installed?

XP2200+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4
September 1, 2004 12:10:34 AM

Goto the respective websites and get the latest updates/upgrades and or drivers. I know Audigy has a critical update right now.
September 1, 2004 4:35:42 PM

You either have to configure Windows Firewall or disable it completely... problem solved. When I installed it on my work computer, it was able to access the internet (via router), but I was unable to browse network computers. I could have configured the firewall to allow it, but was just lazy and disabled altogether.

Lately even my Panda firewall is getting a little overzealous... sometimes it won't even let me connect to my DSL. I have to disable the firewall, rebuild the program list, then re-enable it to get everything working. It's been working fine for a while now... but I think M$ is getting nervous about security issues.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
September 1, 2004 4:59:46 PM

I yet to see the Firewall stop our PC’s from getting on-line and I just use Z/A besides. Her computer is set up the same and I doubt that was it, but then again I didn’t work on it and who knows. Thanks, if she decides to install the SP2 again and has problems I’ll make sure the Firewall is disabled. Her windows update is a little screwy and her Media player isn’t connecting to the internet, but I believe that was happening before she installed the SP2. I couldn’t fix either one, but didn’t kill myself trying, I just figure with all the maintence she does, I’ll just format and reinstall the windows when it gets to bad, lol.
September 1, 2004 7:36:50 PM

I have installed SP2 on 6 computers. None have any problems. As for UT2004 if you would have looked at the list of programs that have issues with SP2 you would know how to fix it!
September 2, 2004 12:51:31 AM

Out of curiosity I installed the SP2 and didn’t have any problem getting on-line with or with out fire wall. I’m going to disabled it, because I use Zone Alarm. Funny though I went on-line to see if I could play UT and I could. When I closed out a window said it had blocked UT from getting on the internet, so I click to keep blocking it, but I was still able to go on and play. So much for the blocking, lol. UT 4 works too and so does everything else so far. **** I used Panda firewall at one time, but it seemed a little complicated. This is when they first came out with firewall, it seemed Zone Alarm was easier, so I used it. I haven’t updated Panda in so long or even used it for that matter I just recently uninstall it for MS Outlook would open up quicker.
September 2, 2004 10:08:38 AM

Problems with WINXP SP2? LOTS OF THEM! Let me see...

1. I can access the network and browse the web but I can't see the computers on my workgroup anymore, and other users on the LAN can't access my files.
2. The "Network connections" folder is empty.
3. The "Network connections" service can't be restarted: "Error 126: The specified module could not be found".
4. The network icon on the taskbar disapeared and of course I can't get it back, although I can access the network.
5. The "Home Edition" text during boot doesn't show up anymore (this one is in fact quite hilarious!).

So, I had to uninstall SP2 altogether... and it all went back to normal. Shame on Microsoft!

I'm using a Hush Silent PC: Motherboard VIA EPIA M 9000 with integrated LAN.
September 2, 2004 1:18:51 PM

Quote:
1. I can access the network and browse the web but I can't see the computers on my workgroup anymore, and other users on the LAN can't access my files.
2. The "Network connections" folder is empty.
3. The "Network connections" service can't be restarted: "Error 126: The specified module could not be found".
4. The network icon on the taskbar disapeared and of course I can't get it back, although I can access the network.
5. The "Home Edition" text during boot doesn't show up anymore (this one is in fact quite hilarious!).

1 sounds like firewall.

2,3,4 are all related. There's a fix <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825826" target="_new">here</A> although it's stupid that you have to fix it, but whatever...

5 Thats a feature. They removed home and pro banners

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 2, 2004 1:59:56 PM

Well guys, I did a system restore thingy pre-SP2 and the comp runs like a charm again. Now I know there are loads of fixes already out there but by the time I fixed EVERYTHING that got busted, then Longhorn would be out. Shortest pain I did and now I´m gonna wait until MS fixes SP2. Well at least I hope they´ll bother to fix it...

And yes I did the Audigy critical install and the card worked but like I said that´s just a small fire that I put out... Big fire is over now, and my advice remains the same, don´t install SP2... yet...

September 2, 2004 4:58:11 PM

*Shrug*

I also have an Audigy 2 card... and haven't had any issues. Doom 3 plays great and so does Diablo II (believe it or not). I haven't had a lot of time to try any other games yet... but tomorrow I'll be participating in the World of Warcraft stress test... so that will be another game to try.

:smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
September 4, 2004 9:52:52 AM

Quote:
You either have to configure Windows Firewall or disable it completely... problem solved. When I installed it on my work computer, it was able to access the internet (via router), but I was unable to browse network computers. I could have configured the firewall to allow it, but was just lazy and disabled altogether.

When I was running the BETA SP2 testing, one of the problems I encountered was after disabling the XP Firewall to install my own, the Xp Firewall kept re-enabling itself, causing severe problems, that issue Microsoft was supposed to resolve, did they? Keep in mind this was BETA testing of SP 2, so With the SP 2 final release can you disable the Firewall and it stay disabled?

<A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JAS 4:7-10;&language=english&version=KJV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=largeprint" target="_new">><></A>
September 4, 2004 10:29:08 AM

Quote:
Ok, somewhere along the line I must have gotten confused, because I was under the strong impression that MS Service Pack was supposed to IMPROVE Windows XP, NOT bring it down to crash into pieces. Most hilarious thing is that most of my "3th party" programs still work while most of my Microsoft programs seem to have died on me. Way to go Microsoft!

So this vicious circle is starting all over again then? Release SP then release numerous patches to fix the patch that got whacked by a previous patch? Confusing isn't it?

Microsoft knew they would have problems, the IBM corporation knows there would be problems with SP2, thats why they are refusing to allow SP2 to be installed on their machines until Microsoft has time to resolve these issues arising.

Its literally impossible for Microsoft to be able to test SP2 on every machines configuration out here, the owners of standing computer distributors like Dell, HP, Compaq, Emachines, Etc, shouldn't be having problems because their computers were pretested, however the rogue self builder, has his choice of any hardware configuration he prefers, and not all of those configurations have been tested, even with the BETA testing program.

Microsoft will get the issues resolved, it may take SP3 to do it, personally I think SP2 was prematurely released, and way too many have rushed into installing SP2 like a bunch of hungry wolves after fresh meat, and they've cliff dived right into installing it on their computers trusting Microsoft to deliver the latest and greatest bug free SP. Its not that hard to understand actually, its taken microsoft to SP4 to get Win2K in top notch running mode, and in my personal opinion Win2K is the best Microsoft has to offer at the moment, until they have time to resolve all the issues with WinXPs SP2.

As a BETA tester myself I tried to warn people to wait about a month after the SP2 CDs were released so Microsoft had time to post the critical updates to resolve some of the arising issues, but I was laughed at and told I didn't know what I was talking about by some, and now in some situations I'm laughing, because some of the very people boasting they weren't having problems at all, suddenly were posting, my such and such isn't working anymore. ROFLMAO Duh!!!

Quote:
Short advice: DON'T install SP2!!!

I have to agree!, Until about a month after the SP2 CDs are shipped!

But if you did!

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&p..." target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&p...;/A>

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&p..." target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&p...;/A>

<A HREF="http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm" target="_new">http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm&lt;/A>

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m..." target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...;/A>

<A HREF="http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm" target="_new">http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm&lt;/A>

<A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JAS 4:7-10;&language=english&version=KJV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=largeprint" target="_new">><></A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 09/04/04 06:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 4, 2004 4:45:55 PM

Hay, can you separate the copy and paste from your own opinion and correct me if I’m wrong, but were all BETA tester, lol. j/k, but someone is always going to warn people not to install SPX, while others will experiences no problems at all. I always get a giggle when someone says Warning, Warning! not to install and that usually provokes me to install ASP, just to see if I’ll get the problems, since I like a challenge and to undo the process is effortlessly. I yet to have any trouble with updates, maybe my hardware is current or I don’t use troubled software and is why I’m so lucky. But really, what are the odds to something going wrong to you or me or someone else. The only way to know for sure would be to have a show of hands. That is all. I agree with you more then less that waiting a month would be better. Only because it will fix more problems, but how many will be affected and in that case waiting two months would be betterm yet, or three or four and so on.
September 5, 2004 1:55:36 AM

Quote:
Hay, can you separate the copy and paste from your own opinion and correct me if I’m wrong, but were all BETA tester, lol. j/k, but someone is always going to warn people not to install SPX, while others will experiences no problems at all. I always get a giggle when someone says Warning, Warning! not to install and that usually provokes me to install ASP, just to see if I’ll get the problems, since I like a challenge and to undo the process is effortlessly. I yet to have any trouble with updates, maybe my hardware is current or I don’t use troubled software and is why I’m so lucky. But really, what are the odds to something going wrong to you or me or someone else. The only way to know for sure would be to have a show of hands. That is all. I agree with you more then less that waiting a month would be better. Only because it will fix more problems, but how many will be affected and in that case waiting two months would be betterm yet, or three or four and so on.

You do have a point in your idiotic patting yourself on the back babbling Right?

September 5, 2004 9:01:58 AM

LoL :wink:
September 6, 2004 8:22:35 PM

Here is my problem; I hope someone can help me to understand what’s going on because I’m already trying 3 times using different XP cd’s with or without SP1a… I buy this computer last weekend and I install XP without problem also I setup all drivers for my mobo using the cd of intel.

Then I run the SP2 file to update my PC, the installation seems to be normal, but when the computer ask me to reboot, I just click on the finish icon and then that’s it… the computer restarts the system and freezes in the main XP logon.

Nothing happen, I can’t even login in the safe mode… the next step is to re-install XP once again...

PC configuration: intel mobo D865PERL, P4 3.4, 120GB SATA western digital, 1gb memory ram ddr400, nvidia G-Force 5200 (256mb).

Please Help...
September 7, 2004 1:24:42 AM

gg, gg, gggg, bwahahahahaha

3 times and still keeping on doing it? gg, bwahahahahaha

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
September 7, 2004 3:37:41 PM

yep, i'm already do the bios update and the drivers i', using are the ones in the cd of intel...
September 11, 2004 1:18:45 PM

Microsoft Customers: Free BETA testers. Same as always lol

Anyways; been going over ALL the fixes for the busted programs and to be honest, fixing something that was supposed to work after the install isn´t my thing. Think I´ll wait a while for MS to release some fixes for SP2. Well thanks for all the input guys, seems SP2 has indeed been released a few months too soon.

September 17, 2004 6:48:37 AM

ok ive got one for ya.........installed SP2 on my comp. and was showing off rainbow six 3 to a friend and went to exit the game and BAM!!! Blue screen/physical memory dump. This is the first blue screen i have ever had (with xp pro)
. So i restarted and windows booted normally straight to my desktop. first thing i do is go to the start menu and click shut down and as soon as i hit the restart button.......BAM!!! again, blue screen/physical mem dump.
after that one i couldnt boot into windows at all for about 10 more minutes. it would just give me the safe mode option screen and everytime i picked an option it would reboot. after about the 12th time i rebooted evrything worked like a freakin charm again. it has done this twice so far and it is freakin me out. could my HD be going? i need some help.

lol, your talking about all these fixes for SP2,.....why dont they release a Service Pack for SP2.

thought crossed my mind and thought it was worth sharing
September 17, 2004 4:06:35 PM

Well... I'm up to 4 installs on 4 different computers without a hitch.

*Shrug*

Any new computers we order are also coming pre-loaded with XP SP2... and thus far no issues with them either.