nVidia nForce 2 versions

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I'm a bit confused on all the different versions of the nForce2 chipsets. The new 400 and ultra 400 sounds good, but i sounds like they all come with IGP, which i don't want. THG's article said something about the ultra 400 doing being a combination of the IGP and SPP version of the nForce2 board, built on the SPP, but what does that mean exactly?

I planning on an Athlon XP 2500+? with 1GB ram. I just need a few recommendations for an nForce 2 board, regular, 400, or Ultra 400. I don't want IGP but i do want the MCP-T version with, preferably an optical out on the sound as well as serial ATA (since it's the future).

Thanks, you computer know-it-alls. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing back from some of you.

skiZtch

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0, Abit NF7-S rev2.0, Epox 8RDA3+, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Gigabyte 7NNXP and many other nForce2 Ultra 400 mobo are SPP + MCP-T combo. IGP nForce2 would be more expensive, other than that they are no different from SPP except the extra GeForce4 MX on board.
If you want the optical audio output you would want the Abit NF7-S rev2.0 because it's the ONLY nForce2 mobo that comes with optical output, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte only has the coaxial output where Epox doesn't have digital audio connectivity built in.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>