5000 System Tray Icons

I know this probably isn't a Windows XP problem but is there any
reason every damn program I load has to put an icon in the sytem tray
WITH NO WAY TO KEEP IT FROM LOADING AT START UP? On Windows 95 and 98
almost every program that did that had an option to turn that off.
Sure I can exit and get the icons off but they come back on the next
power up. The stupid balloon messages with no easy way to turn them
off were created by a moron.
7 answers Last reply
More about 5000 system tray icons

    Hi NoOne,

    This is simply something that the developers of the program you are
    using forgot to account for. If the tray icon was created by a windows
    program (such as the Secuirty Center in Windows XP) then you should be able
    to get rid of it by doing what it advises. If it is a third party program,
    you can always keep it from starting during boot by opening MSConfig (Start >
    Run > Type 'MSCONFIG' and click ok) and going to the Startup tab and
    unchecking the program that is causing the tray icon. Then of course the
    application will not load automatically.
    --
    "If it's not broken, fix it anyway"

    NoOne wrote:
    > I know this probably isn't a Windows XP problem but is there any
    > reason every damn program I load has to put an icon in the sytem tray
    > WITH NO WAY TO KEEP IT FROM LOADING AT START UP? On Windows 95 and 98
    > almost every program that did that had an option to turn that off.
    > Sure I can exit and get the icons off but they come back on the next
    > power up. The stupid balloon messages with no easy way to turn them
    > off were created by a moron.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Most programs ask if you want an icon in Start-up unless there is a strong
    reason for having one anyway.. eg. firewall and a/v..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "NoOne" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I know this probably isn't a Windows XP problem but is there any
    > reason every damn program I load has to put an icon in the sytem tray
    > WITH NO WAY TO KEEP IT FROM LOADING AT START UP? On Windows 95 and 98
    > almost every program that did that had an option to turn that off.
    > Sure I can exit and get the icons off but they come back on the next
    > power up. The stupid balloon messages with no easy way to turn them
    > off were created by a moron.

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:55:03 -0700, "Shawn"
    <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi NoOne,
    >
    > This is simply something that the developers of the program you are
    >using forgot to account for. If the tray icon was created by a windows
    >program (such as the Secuirty Center in Windows XP) then you should be able
    >to get rid of it by doing what it advises. If it is a third party program,
    >you can always keep it from starting during boot by opening MSConfig (Start >
    >Run > Type 'MSCONFIG' and click ok) and going to the Startup tab and
    >unchecking the program that is causing the tray icon. Then of course the
    >application will not load automatically.

    Thanks for this info. That is what I will do.

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:58:41 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Most programs ask if you want an icon in Start-up unless there is a strong
    >reason for having one anyway.. eg. firewall and a/v..

    That has been my experience in the past but since building a new
    computer and loading XP I find all the software developers want to
    cram their program down your throat at startup.

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:18:19 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote:

    > In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    >simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    >"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    I think I have run into a quite a few programs that aren't well
    mannered.

    NoOne wrote:

    > I think I have run into a quite a few programs that aren't well
    > mannered.

    Then I would make a point of not buying software from those particular
    manufacturers in the future.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: