NoOne

I noticed that my modem and mouse work with XP without having to load
the disks provided with them. Should I leave things as they are, load
the disks, or try to find which is the latest version and use that. Am
wondering if I can figure out which is latest driver if one comes from
the modem and mouse manufacturer and the other from microsoft.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Contrary to what these "Microsoft" Fellers tell you, you don't need to do a
thing!
Like the old saying, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it".................
At all cost, stay away from Microsoft Drivers and Hardware Updates, they
will surely screw up a good computer

You will not get the most out of either unless you install from the CDs
supplied.. whether you want the added functions is another ballpark..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"NoOne" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I noticed that my modem and mouse work with XP without having to load
> the disks provided with them. Should I leave things as they are, load
> the disks, or try to find which is the latest version and use that. Am
> wondering if I can figure out which is latest driver if one comes from
> the modem and mouse manufacturer and the other from microsoft.

Hi,

The "latest and greatest" will generallyt come from the manufacturer.
Microsoft, and Windows specifically, provide a basic driver set for a number
of different hardware items. These drivers provide for basic function of the
device. To use all the bells and whistles, like media buttons, monitoring
utilities, etc., you need to install the manufacturer's driver set.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:12:27 -0400, "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote:

>Contrary to what these "Microsoft" Fellers tell you, you don't need to do a
>thing!
> Like the old saying, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it".................
>At all cost, stay away from Microsoft Drivers and Hardware Updates, they
>will surely screw up a good computer

This is contradictory. Since I haven't loaded the disks, not doing a
thing means I am using the Windows XP drivers.

NoOne

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:54:47 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The "latest and greatest" will generallyt come from the manufacturer.
>Microsoft, and Windows specifically, provide a basic driver set for a number
>of different hardware items. These drivers provide for basic function of the
>device. To use all the bells and whistles, like media buttons, monitoring
>utilities, etc., you need to install the manufacturer's driver set.

Great. Thanks for clearing this up.

NoOne

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:57:04 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>You will not get the most out of either unless you install from the CDs
>supplied.. whether you want the added functions is another ballpark..

Understand. Thanks for the help.

Malke

Malke
--