Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • PlayStation
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
September 23, 2009 6:48:46 PM

So, I recently realized that I could run an external HDD into my PS3. I was wondering if I were to have an OS on that HDD, would I be able to start up the PS3 on that OS, and if so, would I then be able to play games and such, as if the PS3 were a PC?

More about : ps3

September 23, 2009 10:48:06 PM

Due to the PS3's rather unique internal architecture (CPU etc) I seriously doubt it as there OS wouldnt be able to identify the CELL CPU. However the PS3 is capable of running a Linux OS.

But it begs the question if you want to play games then PS3 has a reasonable catalogue of games on sale... why would you want to play PC games on a PS3 ? even if it were possible USB HDD's are not going to be fast enough anyway
m
l
September 24, 2009 7:44:49 AM

IF ever it is possible, I still would not trade my desktop for PS3 (not that I hate Sony nor the Japanese). Console game units should have their own places so as PCs. There are many differences between the two
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2009 10:48:08 AM

Not forgetting modern GPU's are designed to run at higher resolutions. Consoles are aimed at being used with HD TV's - PC monitors offer much higher picture quality
m
l

Best solution

September 24, 2009 11:34:24 AM

linux doesnt run pc games anyway and plus the ps3 doesnt give access to the gpu in linux
October 12, 2009 7:55:26 AM

Congratulations Shrex! Nice point on that one. :) 
m
l